Additional Leg Room

johnsontf

Hey folks,

I am the new proud owner of an single cab, base model '86 720. I am also 6'5". I can fit and drive the car but my knees are a little tight on the wheel. I want to look into ways of getting more room. My first guess is to drop the seat down and/or find room to push it back. Second idea would be to get my hands on a tilting steering column. 

Maybe changing out the bench for some bucket seats?

Every little bit helps, even if only an inch or two. I can't be the first w this predicament, but having trouble finding a similar forum post.

Any ideas?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, NC85ST said:

I know that this suggestion might not be the most helpful, but at 6’5”, I would suggest finding a kingcab.

When I test drove it that was the biggest concern but its not too bad. Its a little snug but its do able. Just want to see if I can squeeze out an inch or two somewhere. 

Other members have gone so far as to remove the bench back from the bench, and attach it directly to the back of the cab.  That could buy you a some extra room, depending on the angle you put the seatback at.

4 hours ago, johnsontf said:

Hey folks,

I am the new proud owner of an single cab, base model '86 720. I am also 6'5". I can fit and drive the car but my knees are a little tight on the wheel. I want to look into ways of getting more room. My first guess is to drop the seat down and/or find room to push it back. Second idea would be to get my hands on a tilting steering column. 

Maybe changing out the bench for some bucket seats?

Every little bit helps, even if only an inch or two. I can't be the first w this predicament, but having trouble finding a similar forum post.

Any ideas?

Find yourself a welder and get him to fab up a bracket that will bolt in to the original seat mount holes and mount the seat slider system back a bit on the bracket. Anytime you need a one off or something noone else has done make sure you have a welder as a friend; with a welder all things are possible.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

I would think at 6'5 you would be close to the roof. I put a smaller steering wheel in to gain a little space. The smaller diameter and thicker grip of the wheel managed to block the view of the speedometer. One small change can cause other unforeseen problems.

My hair is touching but I can sit up straight.

Like I said, its doable for my intentions- short trips. I probably look silly driving, though.

• Like 1

I can only imagine what you go through, Johnson, because at a mere 5' 10", I find that a lot of the crappy little cars we have nowadays (I got my license to drive in 1962) were apparently designed for drivers who want the seat/headrest to curl them up in a fetal position, sit them up close to the wheel, and have their feet so far forward that they find they are inadvertently revving up the engine while sitting at a light.  My 2007 Subaru Outback, which everyone told me was such a great car, and which I despise and can hardly wait to sell, does all of this to me with the seat all the way back.  The '81 King Cab I'm fixing up as the daily driver to replace the Subaru, has room for me to mount a comfortable seat (Recaro??) as far back as I damned-well please!!

Edited by seattle smitty
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Don’t bother with a tilt wheel- it actually takes room away from your legs because the adjustment lever hangs lower than a column with out . I’ve hit it with my knee getting in and I’m 6’2” . 
Smaller steering wheel helps . I’ve got a 13” wheel and gives more room . I also have bucket seats , but have no comparison to the original bench seat . I do sit with the back fairly straight up , but I like that position . Never been a laid back driver . 

• Like 2