Lowered Wagons

RLJ

Just realized PO of my wagon removed the rear axle rubber bump stops that are held in place by the u bolts. It was lowered 5” and guessing there was no room for them with the rear lowered that much. 

What are others doing with the rubber bump stops on there wagons when lowered? Completely removing them? Cutting them down?

Going to set mine up 2”-3” lower in the rear and would like to have some kind of rubber stop. 

Anybody have a factory set there not using?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

710 goon:

Five inches is too much for any car to survive over time or much drive and enjoy fully if it does. I'm half that amount with much stiffer springs to keep it usable. I think there may just barely be any space between rear axle and the rubber. The rubber bump stop looks like a figure 8The 8 has two voids that must close before it's solid rubber. It takes a really hard hit out on the highway to feel just how stiff it really is. I thought of cutting the top one off but what if I don't like the ride after??? 

40 minutes ago, RLJ said:

Going to set mine up 2”-3” lower in the rear and would like to have some kind of rubber stop. 

If 5" lowered how you going to lower another 2-3"???? Or are you trying to say you're going to raise it 2-3"???

My buddies goon from way back.  It had a 3" and 1" block in the back.  Had to cut out under the seat and some of the frame to make it ride nice.  

zxyQWfROmH5Pzag5ByYv0cO_ifZm_4cVyyrTe-mx

6kZnzCVJ6lcDH8UfLotHdPDjdrw1eVb5jtBEd4rM

Here is a goon we built later.  We converted to sedan IRS. 

It's about 1" off the ground not sure how much lowered that is. haha.   My buddy Aaron owns it now.  In this photo it wasn't as low.  

3b1bCLXbh_9Vg3NHQQcXOjH5TZPl5pEUXWGjWu9o

My current goon.  Was converted to IRS by a local shop.  It will be even lower soon.  A slammed goon is the best!!!!!  I need to rebuild the rear arches.  It had flares.... 😞 

iCWXivA.jpg

Although 5" isn't achievable easily it's where they look good.  

12 hours ago, RLJ said:

Just realized PO of my wagon removed the rear axle rubber bump stops that are held in place by the u bolts. It was lowered 5” and guessing there was no room for them with the rear lowered that much. 

What are others doing with the rubber bump stops on there wagons when lowered? Completely removing them? Cutting them down?

I always cut mine.

gallery_159_473_1483041186_20637.jpg

If I didn't have a set to cut - like you don't right now - I'd just bolt a generic bump-stop to the bottom of the frame rail on each side.

20 hours ago, RLJ said:

Unless yo u do body mods that's just plain stupid in my book. Mines is just 2" and i am 330# and that don't help as well. Also what size wheels and tires you going with, will play a roll in rubbing which is really the big problem for wagon owners. I have 15x8 with a 195/50/15 and that is pushing it already.

2 hours ago, carterb said:

Haha...  I only use 2" blocks as well.

Jeff (icehouse) calls this "old man low"

I guess I'm fine with that. 

Yep "old man low"!!!  

That's why the only 2 wagon's I ever owned had IRS swaps.  510's gotta be low to look good.  Can't wait to get my goon all sorted nice and low.  We need to figure out the stock fender lip to center of hub measurement.  I think 6"-7" drop is what it will take to look good.  

• Like 1

I'm feeling like that green goon Icehouse posted (with the 4 inches worth of blocks and some frame/floor mods) is where I need to be.  I should probably get my goon running and driving first, but those lows are very very nice.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, carterb said:

Haha...  I only use 2" blocks as well.

Jeff (icehouse) calls this "old man low"

I guess I'm fine with that. 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, rosso said:

I have 2" blocks also - with the stock rubber bumpers on top of the axle. 195/60-14 tires on 280ZX 6" rims +10 offset.

IMG_1402-7.jpg.b41a09485d334d3d0cd70762d8ec3649.jpg

195/60R14 here as well. Like I mentioned the bump stops on a 710 are like a fat 8 and will compress. Any lower the fronts rub on turns. Fuck that! I call it 'old man comfortable'.