This is an open chamber, correct?

ppeters914

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of a semi open isn't it. What casting # and what's it off?

My W-58 looks sort of like a p-nut chamber and then some big boring tool like a 4" drill bit has opened it up. Hard to explain but you can see circular marks from where the center would be, spreading outward to the edges of the gasket ring.

Edited by datzenmike
W58 and square port right? sounds like the 1980's L20 truck head. both probably have the W58 casting # it's a good head to have.

Actually I think mine came off of an 1979 200sx L20b. It is a round port exhaust..ixw2yp.jpg

Most of the W58s I have seen are open chamber, especially from trucks. :D

OK W58 and W53 are round port the W53 is open the W58 is closed chamber. It took a few minutes for me to dig those files out of my memory. Again this head is a great head and the liners really don't hurt flow. the exhaust ports are bigger than a square port head and the liners only restrict it down to just a tad better than most think.

the misinformation in this thread is staggering... I will address the original question only, from the picture it appears the be a "closed chamber" or "peanut" head, it's a little dirty though so it's not completely clear, it could be a semi-closed. Clean it up and take a closer picture. It's definately not open though...

Most of the heads that were availabe as closed chamber were also available open chamber... If I remember right the 219 and 912 heads were the only heads (4cyl) that exclusively closed chamber only, so knowing the casting number may or may not help... But a clearer picture will definately help.

OK W58 and W53 are round port the W53 is open the W58 is closed chamber. It took a few minutes for me to dig those files out of my memory. Again this head is a great head and the liners really don't hurt flow. the exhaust ports are bigger than a square port head and the liners only restrict it down to just a tad better than most think.

Weren't those W53 heads set up for fuel injection? :D I think that most of the W58 heads are open chamber. And the W53 heads were found on the L18s.

Edited by Phlebmaster

Geez. If I were a n00b the disinformation here would confuse the hell out of me.

1) Pete's original picture is of a CLOSED chamber head. It's just dirty. It's impossible to know WHICH head since neither the exhaust ports nor the casting number are visible in the one lonely pic.

2) There's no such thing as a "1980 truck 219 head". 219 heads weren't even made after 1974 (the equivalent was cast as a V912 after that, and those are very very rare). 1980 Trucks (in the US) all had W58 heads.

3) W58 heads are all ROUND port. There were only 3 roundport heads: N56, N58, W58. All were open-chamber except SOME of the W58s which could be found in closed-chamber. Closed chamber W58s are somewhat rare; they typically got installed as a dealer replacement under service. They were supposed to be a NISMO head.

4) W53 heads are all SQUARE port. The W53 is generally similar to an A87. Right down to there being open and closed chamber varieties (though the W53 open chamber head is a very rare head). Many W53 were machined for EFI; you can also find A87s with the same machining. You can also find both without the EFI ports/threaded holes.

• Like 1
looks like a open chamber, is there a way a person can know if its open or closed head w/out taken the head off.

Not without a tiny camera. Common guys, this is a peanut head and as far as I know peanut heads are closed chamber regardless of casting or port shape.

This was fun though...:D

found this in my files, wrote up by datsunaholic

The A87 came on the L16 and L18. I've heard folks say they came on L20Bs but I have never seen an original L20B/A87 combo- there was always signs that the engine or head or both had been replaced at some point. What I have seen is this:

210 head on a stock L16 1968-72 (US Market)

A87 (open) on '73 L16 and '73-74 L18 (US Market)

U67 on L20B 1975-77

N56/N58/W58 on L20B 78-80 (these are roundport smog heads)

For non-US market engines I've seen:

210 head on L13

219 head on L14

A87 (Closed) on L18T (twin carb JDM engine)

A87 and W53 Closed/EFI Ported heads on L18E (EFI JDM engine)

W53 (no EFI ports) on LATE L16 (late being 1979 or newer, the late L16 is visibly different from an early L16).

Head I have never seen: U60 (supposedly used on the very first L20Bs, possibly 1974 610)

Note that there are multiple versions of each head. The 210, A87, and W58 all came in both open and closed configurations. US Market heads are all supposed to be open, but I've seen closed W58s in places that didn't show signs of head replacement (usually a 200SX head). I've never seen a 210 closed head but have only heard about it. I've seen and have possession of both open and closed-chamber A87 and W58s.

Note 2: There are several versions of 210 heads: Early ones have 210 on the front by the inspection plate, all heads made from 1970ish-on have the casting on the side.

Note 3: 219 heads vary- not all have the 1.50" intake ports. I have one that has 1.375" ports. This was the stock L14 head used in Central/South American markets. The JDM 219 was used on the L16SSS and has the 1.50" ports.

Edited by 420n620

It says W-58 are open.... here's mine:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/headW58P-nut.jpg[/img]"]headW58P-nut.jpg

I think I'm wrong. The carbon coating looked slightly dished to me before but now looks flat?

datsun003.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
Funny, that "from your files" was a post I made here sometime in the last year.

sorry your right, when I find good info on the form, I copy/paste and put it in my computor folder files.

I dont always remember who posted the info.

now I just copy the links. I didnt mean it was MY files. I was in a hurrry and on my lunch 1/2hour..

Duke; pic of a u67 open chambered head, here you go... this is my first try on posting pics, hopefully it works.

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

Heres a reference pic with a partly ported L16 intake, the inner right port is still stock size

DSC00926.jpg

Edited by mike