New at engine rebuild L16

Richie

Another update, so I called the guy for my engine and he was short with me and said it was done two days ago we just have to pick it up. And I said well it’s been 3 months now and you told me 2 weeks ago it’ll be done that week. And he just replied I’ll call you back, haven’t gotten a call back so today I’m going there to raise hell. 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Richie who built this Motor?  Hope Not California Datsun! if so we told you not to go there or Bills Datsun.

be honest if he is at a machine shop its really never a quick turnaround time unless he only works on yours from beginning to end and only on your motor and parts from various sources need  MEASURED before he orders the parts.

This is best why to have spare good blocks and heads so you can get them done at a leisurly pace and not go into a RAGE. As I have come to learn also. when I first had my motors blocks outsourced.

However if head is complete and motor block completer is takes less than 2 hrs to assemble.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Richie who built this Motor?  Hope Not California Datsun! if so we told you not to go there or Bills Datsun.

be honest if he is at a machine shop its really never a quick turnaround time unless he only works on yours from beginning to end and only on your motor and parts from various sources need  MEASURED before he orders the parts.

This is best why to have spare good blocks and heads so you can get them done at a leisurly pace and not go into a RAGE. As I have come to learn also. when I first had my motors blocks outsourced.

However if head is complete and motor block completer is takes less than 2 hrs to assemble.

Nope not California Datsun. I listened to you guys. It’s a shop in Huntington Beach CA. The guys works with car at the speedway in Pomona and has great ratings. Out of all the people to it had to be me to get the run around. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Richie said:

hey guys. So i called the engine guy today, he said itll be done today but he had to bore out 37mm. Is that going to be a problem? I am running 280zx pistons on the L18. Thank you.

37mm is impossible since the L18 starts off at 85mm....

I think you said early on you bought 86mm pistons....

So my guess is he bored it to 87mm....

If that's the case then yes you'll have a problem.....

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

37mm is impossible since the L18 starts off at 85mm....

I think you said early on you bought 86mm pistons....

So my guess is he bored it to 87mm....

If that's the case then yes you'll have a problem.....

I am beyond mad, ill measure it before i pay for it and let you guys know. I hope he was talking in inches as in .37in bored from stock

ATM Pistons specs from ATM

so clearance for part number RY6134-STD pistons is .0015 inches 

gauge point .866 up from the bottom 

This was the info i got from an ATM IT guy, if it helps.

Edited by Richie

280z and 280zx pistons come in 1mm oversize and that's 87mm. The early L28 are 10.9 dish and the later 280zx are flattop.

1mm is .0394"

If he has your pistons I'm sure he measured them and bored accordingly.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

280z and 280zx pistons come in 1mm oversize and that's 87mm. The early L28 are 10.9 dish and the later 280zx are flattop.

1mm is .0394"

ok so he did not ruin my engine bore? my bad i am just paranoid now and want to know before i pay this guy

No piston is perfectly 87mm or whatever. They will be close, could be above or below a small amount. Always a good idea to send the piston in to the machine shop with the block. The machinist measures the piston then bores to size. Can be finish honed to perfect clearance which on Nissans is between one and two thousandths of an inch.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Richie said:

ok so he did not ruin my engine bore? my bad i am just paranoid now and want to know before i pay this guy

The biggest thing is and Mike even said it.... they should have the pistons in hand for what they bored it too so they can size it properly.... 

I hope they did it right...

Worse case if you have 86mm and they bored it to 87mm you can atleast get 87mm pistons.... 

If you do have to get different pistons I'd make sure they size it properly for the 87mm..... 

Goodluck 

• Thanks 1

my FIRST motor build was L16 from 83 to 85 mm as ai had a huge deep scratch and was likey it cleaned up and used a L18 piston STD size(85mm)

87mm is nearing the oversize of the common headgaskets and might need to run a motorsport head gasket as the Felpros are kinda in the bore  which erodes then faster I think.

Datsun blocks can go 2mm over bore.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1

If you ever plan on running an aftermarket oil psi gauge, now's the time to tap the oil galley threads to 1/8" NPT.

I always tap the other tapered plug holes to NPT too. Easier to find NPT plugs.

Also, spend a few minutes in the crankcase with some emery cloth, smoothing off any sharp edges on the bearing saddles. If you're brave enough, drill the #2 and #4 oil feed holes to 1/4" and also the corresponding holes in the bearing shells. This will give added flow to the rod bearings. At the very least, chamfer the oil feed holes, and every other hole for that matter.

The oil galley plugs - you could also tap the main oil galleys to NPT. This makes sure you will never have an oil galley plug push out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

If I remember right there would be a sleeve in there like the head has for alignment.... I'm not 100% sure but it think the head ones fit there too....

They might work but different part number. Block to transmission dowel 11022-21000

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

They might work but different part number. Block to transmission dowel 11022-21000

I thought you were referring to my other post, I thought I gave him the wrong part search for ebay .....

But yes they are a different part number... I have only ever bought the head dowels from nissan and I believe they came in a 5 pack. I remember I needed one for my transmission and was surprised to find it fit, it wouldn't surprise me if they repackaged the same part with a different name .... again not 100% sure but fairly certain that's what happened..

• Like 1

I have the ability to take a part number and display all the other vehicles it was used on. For example the side gear from a 720 R-180 front differential is the same and also used on the 280zx, the Maxima and the S12 200sx R-180 but not on the 240/260/2280 z car nor on the 810's R-180. It might fit but the axle stub splines may be different. The dowel may simply be slightly longer or shorter to make it different. Like an emissions hose length.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Ill call the dealer and see if they have any today. I am going to start to put the bearings in and crankshaft and do all the measurements the book tells me. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

https://zcardepot.com/collections/engine/products/engine-cylinder-head-dowel-pin-oem-nissan#

this is a good one stop shop place. for the newer datsun owner.

I will assume these are the same for the other L motors like a L16-20

I have the dowels for the head. would these still work for the bottom where i am missing one?