Cam tower bolts

edekalil

Before I go any further, Got the cam towers seated on head and cam in lubed up with oil and the cam can be turned by hand, it feels snug. Now for the tower bolts, should they get some anti seaz or oil before inserting and torking. Any suggestions on how to tork the cams towers. The book says 25-33 ft pounds. Soon as I get past this part the head will go on the motor and any suggestions on torking it is welcomed then the rest of the parts put on and all get lined up and pull the timing gear and install it back on with the chain and hopefully off to the races.

IMG-20201123-155359.jpg

Please forgive the mess on my guitar fixing bench, the head and it's parth are all safe and clean.

Edited by edekalil
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

cam tower bolts are like 10-13pounds if that and they strip out EZ BE CAREFULL. You sure that isn't inch pounds  not foot pounds????????????

Im going by memory but Im sure it isn't 30 ft pounds

Gotcha

Here is the info from how to rebuild your nissan Datsun ohc engine

Screenshot-20201123-170309.pngI didn't see about putting anything on the threads when installing. I guess the 25-33ft-lb might not be right well see. I sure don't want to mess up at this point.

Edited by edekalil

The last head I had a valve fixed the people didn't, I didn't know this fella was going to take them off so from know on I know to tell them not to take them off. So tomorrow the journey begins. Let's see how far I get and thanks again for the experienced know how I can use it.

Edited by edekalil

Got the cam towers done as suggested and the cam turns not being as strong I have to grip it with Tow hands to rotates all the way around. So I guess next now that all is cleaned up on the block is to get the head installed. I see 40 ft lbs as max torque. Any suggestions. I know the order to torque the head bolts 

I've used 3 in 1 oil to avoid hydro locking bolt holes when I rebuilt engines. It's thin enough to allow air to escape and gives the threads enough lube to cut down

the friction on the threads so you get the proper torque needed , just a couple of drops is good. Just make sure all threads are chased and clean of debris / dirt.  

3 in 1 oil.jpg

• Like 1

The last "A" motor I took apart had a fair amount of crud on the bolts so I chased the threads and holes to clean them up. On the head bolts, I cut a groove in the end and put axle grease on it to help drive debris out of the hole (may have even picked this up from you DM, but not really sure) then clean out with brake cleaner.