4x4 commonly needed spare parts?

MaddieCycle

A salvage yard near me just got a pretty intact 4x4 in stock and I am going to go pull a few things that are hard to find.  Torsion bars, steering center link. Any other hard-to-find things I should pull?  Maybe locking hubs?  Any rear axle things I should grab?

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has a coolant overflow and the washer squirter thing, I always grab a headlight if I see a good one. Straight fenders are rare as hens teeth so are fender mounted signal lights that havn't been bounced off rocks. Locking hubs are like gold

• Like 2

Front two drive shafts or CVs not made any more. Very hard or expensive to replace.

Front R-180 are 4.375 through '82 and 4.11 after. 510/610 810 Maxima or Z car might want.  

An original stock Hitachi alternator or starter are worth more to have than a Chinese rebuilt piece of shit.

Stock (not replacement) water pumps with integral clutch fan are high volume units. Will fit all L series or keep for spare.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

Ok I think the later ones shared a lot of parts with the hardbody. The early ones are tough to find certain parts for. I have an 82 and i have a hoard.

They shared a block and head with a Z24 D21 so not a lot, also some of the alternators

• Like 2

I was thinking more of the suspension stuff. I know calipers and things can be interchanged from hardbody to 720 on the later trucks. My 82 is running an 88 hardbody trans, 95 hardbody kae and a dual diaphragm booster from a frontier. Power steering from a 240sx. There is a lot of mixing and matching. 

• Like 2

'80 - 11 '82 were the same caliper and rotor. After, the caliper was much larger and rotor vented and this continued into the D21.  The later can be fitted to the earlier and even as far back as the '78 620.

• Like 1

Switches.  Tach and clock if available.  Center console is desirable.  Stock radio if present.  A/c components if present.  Any body or interior component you notice to be in excellent shape.  ST steering wheel if present.

• Like 3

talking center consoles for a minute , i recently bought one off ebay . i have seen consoles or pictures of them but this one was different . the guy said it came out of a king cab 720. he advertised it for 720 's 1980 to 1986 . i asked for dimensions and they checked out to be the correct numbers . i was using a cardboard box and was considering just building my own console . after doing more research and looking at a lot of pictures i figured it out . d21 hardbody , with the emergency brake in the center. i didn't know they moved the e brake to the center but it was just what the doctor ordered for my '86 4x4 . i pulled the trigger and when it arrived i went out to check the fit . the transfer case lever went right through the slot for the e brake and the height and width are perfect ! another notch on my belt , maybe you guys can learn something from butter fingers after all ! just trying to pay back for all the help i have received here on Ratsun .

• Like 1

Well, I got a pair of manual hubs in good condition.  The torsion bars were rusted in well and tight, so I gave up on trying to pull them out. I was thinking about getting the alternator but it was 100 degrees and I'd just spent 3 hours getting the hubs off, so I took the torsion bar adjuster bolt and nut and called it a day. Most of the truck had been picked over even though only in the yard for 3 days.  4 other people came and pulled things while I worked on the truck.  I am pleased about the hubs, those will come in handy some day for sure. 

• Like 2