Drop tranny or pull both engine and tranny?

matrophy

Planning on pulling my 5-speed in my '86 (5/85 build) 720 and per my Haynes manual, you are supposed to be able to drop the tranny out the bottom by itself. I have heard from a couple of people what a bitch that job is because of clearance issues but that it is doable. One of my 720 Facebook friends says he recommends pulling engine and trans together. That seems like more unbolting and un-attaching extraneous stuff but if it is easier overall I have no problem with going that way. My jack stands will extend 17" and I am not clear how tall the tranny is overall to know if the tranny jack I might rent (4" profile according to tool rental place over the phone) and the tranny will come out the bottom and roll away. It also seems like the fixed crossmember in the frame might be problematic. What is the suggestion here for the easiest way to do this?

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I pull them together.  The 720s have a removable cross member which makes this much easier than the earlier trucks.  If you only need the trans out then just pull the trans.

Removing the crossmember under the engine may give you extra wiggle room to get it out.

21 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

one really need to jack the front of the truck up to pull both and have a end cap on the trans out put over wise all the oil comes OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or just drain the trans ahead of time.

• Like 1

I've done both ways.  I will pull the engine every time now.  If you don't have an engine hoist it can definitely be done through the bottom but my opinion takes hours longer and is way more of a fight than just pulling the motor and trans together.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

one really need to jack the front of the truck up to pull both and have a end cap on the trans out put over wise all the oil comes OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a drive shaft tone that sheared off a driveshaft for this purpose.  It's easy to just shove a yoke in to seal everything 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lockleaf said:

I've done both ways.  I will pull the engine every time now.  If you don't have an engine hoist it can definitely be done through the bottom but my opinion takes hours longer and is way more of a fight than just pulling the motor and trans together.

Sounds like pulling the engine is the way to go and it's probably safer as well. Last time I did that was probably 40 years ago but hopefully it's like riding a bicycle. I'm going to be taking a look at front bearings in the tranny so I'll be draining it before I pull it anyway. Appreciate the input.

• Like 2

I guess I am in the minority here but I have pulled my 720 transmission out several times and pulling engine seems like way more work to me. One caveat for me is I have a two post lift which makes pulling the tranny way easier. Maybe without the lift I could see pulling the engine to avoid having to be working off your back the whole time.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, powderfinger said:

I guess I am in the minority here but I have pulled my 720 transmission out several times and pulling engine seems like way more work to me. One caveat for me is I have a two post lift which makes pulling the tranny way easier. Maybe without the lift I could see pulling the engine to avoid having to be working off your back the whole time.

I'm going to pull both at the same time after taking everything into consideration.  I wasn't able to get a good measurement of the overall height of the transmission to do the math to see if I could get enough clearance with 19" jack stands and didn't want to rent a tranny jack to find out that there isn't room. Not to mention that manhandling the tranny from under the truck when it is up so high doesn't seem totally safe.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Once you pull it then there is extra work of "while it is out". While it is out may as well change front and rear crankshaft seal, hoses, leaking gaskets ect. Have fun!

I planned on doing both tranny seals but hadn't thought about engine seals. Thanks

• Like 1

The rear main engine seal is one that I don't fix if it aint broke. Factory Nissan rear seals last a long time and aftermarket rear main seals are not always the best quality.

Unless you are also planning on dropping the pan to seal it up too. Can of worms time...

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The rear main engine seal is one that I don't fix if it aint broke. Factory Nissan rear seals last a long time and aftermarket rear main seals are not always the best quality.

Unless you are also planning on dropping the pan to seal it up too. Can of worms time...

Thanks. I was reluctantly leaning toward a pre-emptive strike on that seal and now I'm thinking not.

• Like 2