Kawasaki KZ 1000

I wanted to post pics of some bike parts ill be repairing/ painting for a friend. The bike is a 79 Kawasaki KZ 1000 race bike. The plactic pieces will need cracks repaired before they see color :rolleyes: The color he picked is a nice teal & ill be adding some micro flake in the clear to give it some pop. The koolest part is he told me..."use as much flake as you want"....:D I should have color on a few parts tomorrow w/ more pics then..hopefully we have sun tomorrow. Ok......

KawaKZ1000.jpg

KawaKZ10002.jpg

Kawatank.jpg

Kawaplstcpiecesbefore.jpg

tank ready for color...

Kawatankprepped.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian kool pic TY for posting it:cool: Im not a bike guy but i asked my friend how much HP his bike has & he was exactly sure but......he said he runs 7's in the 1/4 mile :blink: Got into it today, all 4 of the plastic pieces were cracked & had been painted multiple times which ='s lots of extra prep time for me:rolleyes:...

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01578.jpg

the only easy part today was the helmet. Got some color & 3 coats of flake followed by 3 coats of clear...before minor road rash ;)

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

The base is a 91 GM color i hed left over from another job BTW>

after sprayn the flake put a good coat of clear let cure then wet sand it all then clear it twice more looks awesome for depth and the flake will be barried are you using the flake in a binder ,or just adding it to the clear,on plastic parts to strip them i use s e m bumper stripper in a aerosol can works great

Edited by rat tail dragger
after sprayn the flake put a good coat of clear let cure then wet sand it all then clear it twice more looks awesome for depth and the flake will be barried are you using the flake in a binder ,or just adding it to the clear,on plastic parts to strip them i use s e m bumper stripper in a aerosol can works great

This is a 3 stage job. Base coat..flake in the clear ...then 3 top coats of clear. I did color sand the helmet & shoot 2 more clear coats on it today & got a few more of the parts prepped & shot...

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

All thats left is the tank & 1 more plastic part.

This is a 3 stage job. Base coat..flake in the clear ...then 3 top coats of clear. I did color sand the helmet & shoot 2 more clear coats on it today & got a few more of the parts prepped & shot...

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

All thats left is the tank & 1 more plastic part.

do you ever put the flake in a binder works really good like a ppg dbc 500 its a mid coat so you dont have to put it in the claer and it lays the flake down flat instead of on its edge so you cant feel them threw the clear just asking not tryin tobe you no just askin hahah

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok today i got everything else painted except 1 plastic piece. Ended up taking the tank down to metal, same for the shocks...

1-13shxprimer.jpg

1-13shx3.jpg

1-13shx5.jpg

wet sanded helmet #2 & gave it 1 more coat of clear...

1-13helmet.jpg

& the tank......

1-13tank.jpg

1-13tank2.jpg

heres the flake in the clear :D

1-13flakeincup.jpg

Ill get pics of the bike as soon as it's put back together.

Nice work Mark. Man your taking me back a few years. I had a KZ1000 back in the day. Thing was f/n fast. Yoshimura pipe with smooth bore carbs. :D.

I removed my rear shocks and put solid struts on the back for kickin ass on PCH In the LBC.

Let's....all...do...the time warp...agaaaaaaaiiiiiin......

Love the older bikes. Definitely easier to work on. I'm a Suzuki guy myself: '68 250 X-6 Hustler, '71 T500, '72 GT750 water buffalo, '76 Harley Sportster, '71 Harley FL, '76 GS750, and, now, a GS1100E:

1983_GS1100E_Ron3_450.jpg

Mine's a bit beat and has a Yoshimura exhaust, but you get the idea.

The GS1100 and the KZ1000 are considered UJM's: Ultimate Japanese Motorcycle.