Compression dissapeared

Scrapson

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definetly put the chain on my knuckles remember very well. it's a nice day in oregon for the first time in awhile so finish the hood paint and fix the poor L20 it should be on the dowel? there isnt a spot on my sprocket for it .

Edited by Scrapson

I tightened the cam sprocket with all my weight which is 110 pounds give or take it wants to fire so I just gotta charge the battery. This thing is so cold right now I sucked gas through the line to prime the line but it didn’t sputter and die so I gotta adjust the timing a bit I think but I’ll have my grandpa do that. 

Yeah the gauge was bad I gotta go into town to cash my check so I’ll just buy a new one since our local auto parts shop doesn’t do loaners also harbor freight special or princess auto for the Canadians. The timing is quite right yet so I’m going to triple check everything it did backfire through the carb so that’s a step up I guess?

I cannot recall ever doing a compression test on a gas engine in my life, ignorance is bliss I guess, they run or I fix them and then they run, compression ratio has never been on my list of needed tools, I do have a couple of them ones that one holds in the spark plug hole with your hand, I have no idea if they work.

It's quite simple to set these blocks up to run, TDC, 2am/10pm, and 4pm on the distributor, pour a few drops(not a shot glass) of gas down the carb and hit the starter, they start just about every time, little more difficult with dual SUs but they start, it just takes a little longer/more turning over.

If someone had not said that the compression was a bit high would you have known the difference, maybe that gas you said flooded your intake manifold got into the cylinder while you were doing the test, are the carb butterflies wide open(gas pedal floored) while your doing the compression test?

How is it flooding your intake manifold, if there are no spark plugs in the head it should not be sucking anything into the cylinders, is gas coming out of the vent tubes in the top of the carb when your turning it over, does everything smell like gas?

Seriously, if fuel is dumping into the block and starts squirting out of the spark plug holes all over and then somehow ignites........................................

• Like 1

Valves only hold the compression in or not, they don't adjust the compression. If you said 180 on all I would call that a new rebuilt engine. I've heard of compressions above 200 but the compression ratio was made higher to begin with. 

The pump it was right it was running the headgasket went out so I got the head fixed and put it back off I didn’t touch anything else besides the head and the manifolds. It was running great it had good compression had power and was quick off the line like it was before it broke. 

The distributor position cannot be changed without dropping the oil pump to move the drive spindle.

If you unbolt the distributor and remove it, it can only go back in the position it came out and not possible to be 180 out.

The ignition timing IS adjustable through a small range by loosening and twisting the distributor.

IF the distributor wasn't removed or touched... if it ran properly before it should run properly now and the timing correct.