Compression dissapeared

Scrapson

in theory it can can 180 out if one removed the pedestal and put it on 180  the rotor will be in same spot  but one has to pull the plug wires out of the dist cap and move them. some people do this incase they want the vacuum adv in a different spot.

If the motor is mechanically timed then you need to elelctricall time it with the distributor plug wires ect…. fire order.

Now ouring gas in the carb is a way to get it to fire if timed right. there is enough vapor to fire off if its close. once you think you have that(shows your electrical is working) you need to then look at the carb for vaccum leaks ect if still no start but starts if gas is poured in.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ill watch hainz video to make sure everything is correct but it should not take to much to adjust that? Ill check for a vacuum leak but that seems hard to do without it running ya think? yes the vacuum advance line does reach from the carb to the distributor. also I should reset the distributor advance and retard back to zero? time to find hainz' video.

So update the cam sprocket keeps spinning off It seems to me like it’s a dowel that’s broken I’m just going to get a new cam shaft dowel pin and see if that helps too. It is torqued to spec which is 108ft-lbs  I believe also the tensioner is in place and everything is fine it’s as soon as I try to start the motor it’ll just spin the sprocket. 

What???

cat-facepalm

Set to TDC correctly.

Block the tensioner from falling out.

Remove the cam sprocket and look.

If the cam dowel is broken....

Grab the cam in the middle with vice grips. Right here where the square bumps are and not on or near the lobes.

mAcMb0w.jpg

Try to turn the cam, but not more than 1/2". Can you move it?

The starter I doubt has the power to do so but the other thing is that the sprocket got wollored out ill post pictures in a second of it. The dowell is pretty tattered up but it held the sprocket on. It looks like the sprocket is done for so I’m ordering a new one. The fuel eccentric bolt was on and it was as tight as A *insert dirty joke* it was on there that’s for sure I mean she had the full ugga dugga maximum 

Edited by Scrapson
Ugga dugga

If you don't have any bent valves it will be a miracle, I suspect that the cam sprocket did not settle onto the dowel like it was supposed to, that it was not on there crooked enough to see that it was crooked is baffling to me, that gear looks like the gear turned and the cam didn't and that is likely why it was loose.

E5988485-01-F5-419-C-BCFE-0-F4787-CDA343

One of the first things I would do now is look at all the valve spring heights from the side, if a spring is lower or a rocker all of a sudden was looser than it should be you likely have a bent valve.

I can say this with certainty, you cannot spin the crank with the head on the block and the cam not turning, a valve is going to get bent if not valves get bent, if none of them got bent it is a freaking miracle.

I don't know how your going to do it, but if none of them were bent your going to have to somehow get the can back to 10am/2pm and then get the block back to TDC without screwing anything up, valves can hit the pistons and get bent.

Edited by wayno

Not the bolt. The fuel pump eccentric / washer under it. The thing that works the pump arm. If left off the bolt will tighten into the cam farther and might tighten up but not hold the sprocket. Just a guess. As wayno said the sprocket would be cocked slightly if tightened onto the dowel without being in the hole on the sprocket.  

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Then the dowel must be snapped. Or missing! I'm cringing if the engine turns and the cam isn't.

This cringe is the reason for the 'Paw Face'.

I see two possibilities here -

1- the eccentric was left off, and Mike described what can happen there.

2- the cam sprocket was never actually engaged on the cam. They can be a bitch to get onto the cam sometimes. Chain tension that's tight can make it very hard to get the sprocket up high enough to engage on the cam register.

Either way, if the bottom end spun a full rotation without the cam moving with it, there are probably some bent valves.

If the cam remained at TDC..... unlikely as you can turn them with a small effort by hand and certainly a 100 ft lb tight bolt would hold the sprocket tightly enough. The scoring definitely shows that at some point the cam was stopped or stopped and started and the sprocket kept turning. Now this could be the point when a valve was stopped by a piston.

The fuel pump eccentric is thick (0.25") and there is a thick lock washer. (0.15") Both add to 0.4". Assembled with the sprocket there is only 1/8" of thread left inside the cam before the bolt bottoms out. Even just the lock washer left off would be  enough to the bolt bottoming out.... however the cam dowel would still be close to fully engaged in the sprocket. If both were off the bolt definitely would bottom and there would be about 0.275" of slack on the sprocket. The dowel sticks out only 0.26" so more than enough for the sprocket to slip back off. I may be off but it could explain the problem