Compression dissapeared

Scrapson

Lots of similarities here between scrappy and myself at that age. I just wanted to go fast too, and I had a record amount of points on my driving record to prove it. I blew up the first three motors in my 510 with zero shits given, but I also had a job to pay for my mistakes and learned at a very rapid pace how to fix the motors that I blew up. Hopefully you catch on here and learn from this.

Why did it blow up? Well, it takes a forensic inspection to know exactly what happens and why, but I suspect you had bad bearings to begin with.  Stock L motors won't rev high enough to blow up because of over-stressing the components. Unless you missed a shift, and that would likely result in bent valves, not a spun rod bearing.

I have seen broken cranks on a stock L motor. That usually happens when the flywheel bolts come loose or if there is a bad vibration that goes unchecked for too long.

Have you actually dropped the oil pan to see the damage? The shiny oil could come from a worn cam. And that would knock too.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

scapson just keep it running as is.

Doing a KA with a lot of electronics is going to be a bible worth of pages to get you thru this and we don't want to go thru this again

L motors are simple and you got it and you know more than enuff now to keep it running but don't rip shit apart thinking your going to get 20more hp buy adding shit you don't need and isn't really going to help you.

keep it as it is and maintain it. oil ,water grease ect…...

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I would say you need a motorcycle but we would miss your antics, your not going to find what you are looking for unless you spend a lot of money/time chasing it, a VG30E will likely satisfy you for a while, but then you likely would be chasing down the VG30TT version and I expect without a lot of help it is not going to happen.

I bought my adrenaline rush myself, save your money up and buy your own adrenaline rush and worry about staying alive enjoying it.

So, I did love the L20B but not anymore for all I care it can die. I really did appreciate all the advice but I’m 16 and stubbornish I’ll listen just I have to make a mistake then I’ll listen. I’m going to make it fast I’m just not touching the motor with a ten foot pole besides putting it in with some help from someone who’s done a similar swap into a Chevy luv. What looks like had happened is that I was putting too much of a load just hammering on it was the first mistake I found bearing pieces after removing the oil pan but when I started it the other day before removing the motor it fired right up and did not make a single knock or tick noise so I’m interested to know what happened but it looked like bearing material from what I could see and the 3 people who called me a dumbass for blowing it up. I really do appreciate all the help even if initially I blew it off being cocky. Side note we don’t have public transportation where I live...

3 hours ago, Scrapson said:

So, I did love the L20B but not anymore for all I care it can die. I really did appreciate all the advice but I’m 16 and stubbornish I’ll listen just I have to make a mistake then I’ll listen. I’m going to make it fast I’m just not touching the motor with a ten foot pole besides putting it in with some help from someone who’s done a similar swap into a Chevy luv. What looks like had happened is that I was putting too much of a load just hammering on it was the first mistake I found bearing pieces after removing the oil pan but when I started it the other day before removing the motor it fired right up and did not make a single knock or tick noise so I’m interested to know what happened but it looked like bearing material from what I could see and the 3 people who called me a dumbass for blowing it up. I really do appreciate all the help even if initially I blew it off being cocky. Side note we don’t have public transportation where I live...

Your post is a slap in the face to all of the Ratsun members that took the time to help you. You should be ashamed of yourself. Those of us on here love our Datsun's and we love our L series. I’ve been turning wrenches since I was 12 years old and started on my Dads ‘74 620. I listened, I learned and I became better. What I didn’t do was blame any of my Datsun’s for my failures as a mechanic...Like I said above: I became better. All I can say is: Your Datsun deserves better. 

14 hours ago, Scrapson said:

Wow!!! I come here voluntarily and give my advice with no strings, but this does feel like I wasted my time. Good luck scrappy.

Please, don't follow Wayno's advice and buy a motorcycle. You don't seem like the right type for that and would probably end up as a stain on the road.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1