Engine Swap

Bulletsides

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better do some homework on engines... like a LS???

2 hours ago, Bulletsides said:

I have a nice 77 kc but want to swap to a different motor and trans, any suggestions from those knowing of a place that is knowledgeable of this process?

2 hours ago, Bulletsides said:

Looking for a hot rod shop willing to do something like this, prefer one that has done 620 trucks before that's the intent and my skill level is to pay the PROFESSIONAL to do it correctly.

I'm going to guess a KA24DE from a Hardbody, Xterra with 5 speed. $4k to $8K depending on if you get a wrecking yard runner or rebuild it. Who ever you get, don't pay all up front or go somewhere else. Pay as work reaches certain agreed upon points. Stay in constant communication with the builder. Visit at least once a week. If not it ends on the back burner and cash stops changing hands. They loose interest and hand you a half complete piece of shit with missing parts.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I would love to see this guy build a 620 😄

I've been leaning that way too. Someone reached out to me the other day about a 320 too.

I do have a few Datsun jobs coming up that you guys may be interested in. My old, old friend Dan has three 510s and a 240z that are all going to get some level of Stoffregen Motorsports love. He recently got t-boned in his 240z, so we're looking for a shell. Anyone got a 240z shell laying around?

• Like 2

I see a Beebani front suspension, lose the torsion bars to make room, and a dry sump LS being one hell of a fun package.  Of course no one asked the big question: budget???  

I don't see any shop taking on a swap project for under $10k unless you want to install a used engine/trans and cross your fingers hoping its ok?  

I'd do some research here, and call Stoff to see what you're getting yourself into - follow him on Insta to see some pics of his top notch work.  

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've been working on my website lately too, since it got hacked last year. I update the pic gallery on a regular basis. http://www.stoffregenmotorsports.com/

So how exactly did you start building custom vehicles?

I have thought about it, but it seems like you need a solid customer base before jumping in and you need to jump in before you can build a solid customer base.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

So how exactly did you start building custom vehicles?

I have thought about it, but it seems like you need a solid customer base before jumping in and you need to jump in before you can build a solid customer base.

It all started when we moved from the bay area. I couldn't find suitable work as a chef up here, so I decided to go back to the car stuff, helping my friend with his business (Inchworm Gear), just so I could have a paycheck. He took on a job that was larger than he wanted and he simply gave it to me (1987 4Runner). I opened my doors with that one customer. Luckily, I already had a lot of tools (welders, brakes, lathe, mill, plus the usual hand tools), and I owned the building, which is on my property (2400 sq ft). So yes, I was more set up than most, and I had that going for me.The first customer had me build a few rigs for him, so that helped too. Those jobs led to more jobs, and here we are. I have a two year waiting list.

It is worth mentioning that my time as a chef taught me that sharing is key. That and some confidence allowed me to feel like even if I shared a recipe with someone, I could still cook it better. This attitude was helpful in my forum threads that I did on almost every vehicle I built (not here on Ratsun, I don't come here for the business), and in those build threads, I shared tons of info and tricks. I would engage every person who commented, whether on forums or facebook or instagram. With a lot of knowledge from my road racing background, I constantly pushed the limits of what the average 4x4 world expected. I like to think that I helped elevate the 4x4 world to the level it is at today. Back when I got into 4x4's, people thought that adding 1/4" plate steel is what made a good truck. My direction was 180 degrees in the opposite direction. The old Colin Chapman phrase "simplify, then add lightness" has always been my approach. Now that I've developed some really valuable secrets, I'm admittedly not as willing to share.

During my time at Inchworm, I became friends with automotive journalist Harry Wagner. When he asked to do a feature on my 1957 Land Rover, I thought he was kidding. Well, he has done over ten features on rigs that I've built and he's introduced me to a lot of the right people. That is probably the biggest stroke of luck that continues to help me grow. He and I are good friends still, and we don't let work get in the way of our friendship. One opportunity that came up through his friendship was a chance to build a 4Runner with his friend Fred Williams (Dirt Every Day). He would supply the vehicle and parts, I would supply the labor. It was to be a desert racer, but it had no VIN because it was a factory test vehicle and thus, could never be sold. Based on that, I turned it down. Probably should have jumped on that one. Who knows, I could have been on TV with Fred today... No regrets though.

So there it is. Thanks for asking. A lot of right place, right time opportunities for sure.

If you want to get your foot in the door, I need some help around the shop. The time for me to grow is now, and I need to get a jump on that. You want a job?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One last thing I forgot to add.

I also tend to stick my neck out.

Immigrant laborers were my inspiration here. Walk up to any Latino looking for work outside of a Home Depot, ask if he can do something in particular, and his answer will be "YES". He might not even speak the language, but he is willing to try. That's me in a nutshell. I feel like a Mexican laborer most of the time.

(Obviously no disrespect to immigrants here. If you missed it, I have the utmost respect for them.)

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 5
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I already had a lot of tools (welders, brakes, lathe, mill, plus the usual hand tools), and I owned the building, which is on my property (2400 sq ft).

If you want to get your foot in the door, I need some help around the shop. The time for me to grow is now, and I need to get a jump on that. You want a job?

I need the shop space, that is a fact. 

I would love to, but too much tying me to WA right now. :)

• Like 2

I've thought of a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado 425 CID & transmission stuffed in the bed of a 1978 620.

Just happen to have both in the front yard. Never can tell after a few barley pop's.

Could get interesting.

Chopper Jim

• Like 3

I don't believe Bobs MX520 race truck would be considered a mid engine truck although I believe the engine was farther back than the stock engine as he used the Miata floor pan/firewall/engine/suspension, but if done properly like he did one can have a awesome preforming truck, he built it in such a way that all 4 wheels had about the same amount of weight on them, some old time racer guy said it was the best handling truck he had ever driven, well that is what Bob said he said.

• Like 4

There are so many cool engine swap options out there. One has to remember that the engine choice can steer the whole project though. I have a client right now who is having a hard time deciding between an Ecoboost 4cyl and an LS V8 for his Jeepster build. The LS can be made to look vintage, fitting the character of the vehicle, but the Ecoboost, not so much. Choosing the Ecoboost will make it all about the engine. Choosing the LS and prepping the engine to look vintage,  everything blends and nothing stands out. Character intact.

• Like 3

Modern engines are excellent. 

VQ is a good namesake option. 
I have been thinking on the newer Nissan 2.5L as well. Quite a few altimas in yards around, haven't really measured anything or looked into rwd transmisson options. 
I like to keep it in the family lol. 

• Like 1
On 9/3/2019 at 4:40 PM, Bulletsides said:

Looking for a hot rod shop willing to do something like this, prefer one that has done 620 trucks before that's the intent and my skill level is to pay the PROFESSIONAL to do it correctly.

Hasn't been back, even to visit, since this post.

• Like 1