Engine swap help

Lonewolf1990

23 hours ago, demo243 said:

Being in Cali though I would definitely seriously consider doing the swap in a SMOG legal manor, even if you don't care about it. All it would take is one cop out to prove something who sends you to the ref and you have to do your swap all over. From the sounds of it I don't think it would be that much more work to do it right the first time, especially if you get your hands on a full donor car.

Almost everyone who has successfully completed an EFI engine swap knows that it turns out to be a lot more work than anticipated. First time swappers can be talked into or more likely fooled into the job by telling themselves that everyone else is wrong. This is pure ignorance.

So if swapping in an EFI engine takes 100 hours, and making it legal takes 150 hours (or even 200 hours), why not just make that extra leap and have a legal swap? There will be almost no difference in dollars spent between a legal and non-legal swap, and if you're doing the work yourself, time is free (sort of).

The donor route covers almost all of the bases where parts are concerned. You'll get the EVAP system, the exhaust with cats, the fuel tank (which you can use for pieces), plus you'll be able to easily verify that it runs before you tackle the job. Hell, you may even want to use the donor car as a run stand to make your wiring mods before you yank it apart.

I think going into it knowing it will not pass emissions is a very shortsighted approach.

• Like 3
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Almost everyone who has successfully completed an EFI engine swap knows that it turns out to be a lot more work than anticipated. First time swappers can be talked into or more likely fooled into the job by telling themselves that everyone else is wrong. This is pure ignorance.

So if swapping in an EFI engine takes 100 hours, and making it legal takes 150 hours (or even 200 hours), why not just make that extra leap and have a legal swap? There will be almost no difference in dollars spent between a legal and non-legal swap, and if you're doing the work yourself, time is free (sort of).

The donor route covers almost all of the bases where parts are concerned. You'll get the EVAP system, the exhaust with cats, the fuel tank (which you can use for pieces), plus you'll be able to easily verify that it runs before you tackle the job. Hell, you may even want to use the donor car as a run stand to make your wiring mods before you yank it apart.

I think going into it knowing it will not pass emissions is a very shortsighted approach.

And on a 620 it should be easier because I believe they share/are closely compatible with the 720s.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a 1974 620 project and was shocked to find that the cab and engine compartment had been set up on riser blocks about two inches. About this time i realized that there is a L20b engine. I just need to know if this is needed or if there is some other way so I can remove the blocks.

• Like 2