KA with sidedrafts

alexg89

Ran into my next issue which i totally for got about.. Gotta have the hardbody oil pan modified to fit the 240 motor.. so thats a bit of a set back. good thing is i still havnt got my head back from the machine shop and its been 6 months.. Also with that said i lost out on my valve springs i bought for the head.. so im out money, springs and my extra head 🤘

So modify oil pan

buy new springs

sacrifice my second spare head to another machine shop

and maybe put a motor together 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp truck shut down last night... was cruising along. noticed it was getting hot, very under powered like the timing was retarded.

Got home and wouldnt idle.

Fired it up this morning still the same issue. guess when i get home ill pull the valve cover off and make sure everything is in time .. im real curious as to what happen

Hoping my torque wrench was right when doing these solid rockers. im wondering if the rocker rail bolts backed out and everything came loose.. 

We shall find out 

So tore it apart on lunch. everything looks intact. nothing jumped time. dizzy is where it needs to be .. crank bolt was loose but not a big deal.. Started it up and ran fine.. Drove it for about 10 mins and then it started losing power again.. im pretty interested in whats going on here lol 

Check the crank bolt again.

If it loosened up you have a dampener, and/or crank snout problem.

Bore of the dampener, key ways in the dampener of crank snout, keys, or the crank snout it's self are worn.

Unless those are all good, it will continue to work loose.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You know i never figured out what the issue was that day but it ran fine afterwards.. truck is off the road now, waiting on parts to come in. finally got my head back,  ported, polished decked 20thou, stiffer springs, new valves, 5* valve job from what i was told. 10.7:1 aries pistons on the way, got all the gaskets, need to order some head bolts and i think thats it

Not sure about rod or main bolts. i think they are regular and not torque to yield? so i was just gonna put them back in.

Also not sure if i need to have anything balanced but then again i really font know what im doing because this is my first actual full rebuild ive done lol

I ended up picking up another 500 dollar gem and put some swampers on it.

208k miles on the ticker. 5speed 4wd vg33 1998 pathfinder. interior is flawless, ice cold ac. the lady couldnt figure out why it was smoking and neither could the mechanic. 
PCV valve was stuck and was sucking oil up 

8MgHh9T.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alexg89 said:

I ended up picking up another 500 dollar gem and put some swampers on it.

208k miles on the ticker. 5speed 4wd vg33 1998 pathfinder. interior is flawless, ice cold ac. the lady couldnt figure out why it was smoking and neither could the mechanic. 
PCV valve was stuck and was sucking oil up 

8MgHh9T.jpg

Nice score! 

My buddy had one of those back in high school, great little trucks!

• 10 months later...

UPDATE

truck is still going. motor never went together so im back to driving it. 

45mains 

f8 emulsions

190 airs

and i think 55f8 idles

still pig rich and the lean transition is still there as soon as the throttle cracks open. i need to know where to go to next. im thinking about going from 36mm venturies to 34mm

will this help. or whats the next jets i need to buy cause i need this to to be driver friendly under 60mph

thanks guys 

• 3 weeks later...

went to 34mms and one up on the pump jets.. just barly helped. 

found that i could back down my idle screw half a turn and open the air jets? the little air bleeds or something to help with the idle but its still just leaning out..

Im starting to wonder if because i have a 2 piece intake is the fuel maybe getting caught at the boot and not making it to the cylinder when its opening up?

Also with the smaller venturies i feel like it choked it pretty good cause it does not seem to have the power it did. first gear i can feel that it has some more toque but after that its a slouch. 

im so tired of messing with this pile lol

also i scooped up a Buick enclave vacuum pump so i know have power brakes again after 2 years and boy is it nice