DMs '76 620 pickup ...first project attempted

deadmonkey

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did a quote with Speedy Auto Glass and the guy quoted me $200 installed including rubber! Hell of a deal! To save on cost though I have to wait about 14 days for them to get it shipped with other stock. I'm not in that big of a rush, and with a deal like that I can wait. I didn't even call the other guys on my list :)

• 2 weeks later...

SO, got the bench seat back in today.

Greased up the shifter well, cleaned dust boots and put the plat back on so there is no longer a gaping hole in my floor :)

Ordered a headliner and inner/outer window squeegees. Have a Front Bezel being shipped to me. Have some chrome Nissan mirrors on Ebay I'm bidding on. Got dust boots for the tie rods and bought a grease gun and some bondo too. As soon as I get the headliner I'm going to pull out both front and back windows and attempt to put that darn headliner in.

I can't really find any Butyl liner in town besides Dynamate at the car stereo store. And it is Very expensive.

I see 2 holes on either side and one larger. Anybody know how many Bows are needed for the headliner? I'm going to have to custom make them and will need approximate sizes.

===

Tomorrow will be used to weld and bondo over the side blinker holes in the fenders and get started on smoothing out the other dents/dings.

Edited by deadmonkey

LOL... FINALLY found the charger!

As promised here are pics.

I haven't gotten the weather strips or headliner yet :mad:

The Bezel I assume is still on its way. Good news though the mirrors arrived yesterday. I was a bit disappointed though with the mirrors. The guy selling them shipped them FAST, but never mentioned the glass was loose. I had to pull them apart and put in some new padding. I used sticky tape and had to hot glue the plastic shell back on. Nice and solid now though!

Picture019.jpg

Here is the liner pic posted on Ebay (not much to look at)

HeadLiner.jpg

Here is the weather strips pic posted on Eaby

WeatherSrips.jpg

===

I never did get a chance to bondo since it was so cold out. Today I will install the mirrors and post pics of the rest of the truck too. It is hard to get stuff done when its cold out :(

Edited by deadmonkey

If youre going to do the butyl on the floor, call some roofing companies and ask them if theyd be willing to part with a partial roll of burn down roofing. Theyve always got leftover. You can find it at lowes too. I havent seen the foil backed stuff there but I wasnt really looking too hard.

For your headliner youre going to want a new rear window gasket also, especially in this weather and if your old rear gasket is all dry rotted/hard. You might be able to save it if youve got someplace warm to work but if youre replacing the front one, you may as well... I got one off ebay for a decent deal... call the glass shop youre getting your windshield from and see if they can get you a rear window gasket at the same time. You might end up saving money on shipping. To help it slide in easier get some silicone spray at napa. Works way better than dish soap. If your new headliner material is cloth or absorbant though, you might just want to stick with the dish soap.

This would be a great opportunity to put some nice tint on the rear window also :rolleyes:. If you need the headliner bows, I KNOW where there are a few trucks up here in spokane that have them, and they pop up in the yard fairly often, If you have trouble finding them shoot me a PM and Ill grab you a set... shouldnt be more than 5 bucks and you pay shipping, whatever that is... I might actually have a set that will work for you if anyone knows if the KC bows are the same...

Installed:

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

ALSO... got my Headliner today. Looks a bit wrinkled, but that will come out I'm sure. I just NOW realized some stuff here, can't believe I didn't really see this until I took the picture. The wall behind my seat is white. Somebody (not me) spray painted the wall for some reason. So now I'm wondering if I should just be able to touch that up or what.

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

I have to drive this back and forth to work every day. So I cant just pull out the windshield, and dash, sand and paint everything, put in the liner and put in the windows... all in one night. I'm pretty sure there is a law saying you have to have a windshield :)

Here is what I'm thinking. Do the liner in a weekend, pulling out the windows and temporarily putting the window back in with silicone and taping over the back with clear plastic and having the glass place come to my work and put in the windshield while I'm at work the next day. I know it isn't exactly safe, but it will get it done. As for paiting, just will have to tape everything off and do it that way. Thoughts?

Edited by deadmonkey

Got the headliner installed Sunday! Speedy Auto Glass is gonna come out and install the windshield for me. $100 INCLUDING installation and rubber seal. They are going to do the back window for me too plus what ever it costs for the rubber seal! Hell of a deal if you ask me.

I'll get pictures once I get them off my friends camera since I forgot to bring mine the day of the installation :) I'll get ones off my Cell phone later tonight.

I think it came out OK. The back corners were the hardest to not have wrinkles but the rest of it turned out nice, tight and pretty much wrinkle free. Considering that I custom made the bows, I think it turned damn good...that and this being the first time I've EVER attempted installing a headliner like this.

Windshield is installed.

I'm happy with it! They put in tinted glass, so it looks nice! The headliner has a couple loose spots, but I may just be over critical of my own work. They were mistaken on the back gasket material and couldn't put in my rear window though they are gonna try to get me some gasket material and install the back for me... at the very least they will give me some gasket for a damn good price. If I bitch a bit because they charged me more then they quoted me... I'm betting they will just put in the back window for dirt cheap.

$180 all said and done.

I'll post pictures when it is light out (tomorrow).

For now I'll have to put some plastic over the back... Gonna be a cold damn drive to work tomorrow :thumbdown:

Here they are!!

I think everything turned out great except behind the passenger side near the window. I may be able to straighten that out still... not sure I want to try though.

Still need to touchup the rest and trim excess. I had spare trim for the doors... It works perfect to hold down while drying instead of clamps.

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0740.jpg