DMs '76 620 pickup ...first project attempted

deadmonkey

Well... I enjoyed my day off yesterday and sat on my ass watching movies all day :)

I was going to go help gage w/ his trailer project but dude hasn't called me back, so what ever.

I looked at the brakes and the upper spring broke. I ordered a new set and it will be here on Friday.

In the mean time I looked at the bearings and they look fine so I repacked them.

So now I have a set of brake pads that I bought and don't need yet.

I hope the weather is good for the next few days because I'm stuck using the motorcycle for now.

Here is the air cleaner painted. I didn't bother with the inside all being the same color. I still have to paint the outside but need to get some more paint if I want it all to look black. :)

DSCN1293.jpg

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I put the new brakes on last night, but with the adjuster tightened all the way in (least tension), I still have the brakes rubbing just a bit. Is that normal? I can just barely turn the wheel using the studs with my hand (no tire).

I also got the aire cleaner for the weber completed and on, I'll get pictures and post them tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Well not much to report but I've been working my ass off lately because of mandatory overtime. I'm trying to take advantage of it by working as much as I can. This pay period alone (two weeks) I will have 53 hours JUST in overtime alone.

Anyways... I finally got pissed off about not having my fuel gage working and took out the sending unit.

It tested just fine so I put it back in and works just fine.

I have no Idea why it wasn't working before.

Possible it slipped when trying to tighten the ring up and then somehow was touching a part on the inside.

But its working now!! no more keeping painful track of my gas mileage and filling up just in cases! :)

On the other hand... I have been keeping pretty accurate gas mileage logs :unsure:

It is finally starting to get nice out so I need to start thinking about body prep so I can paint this bioch. I'm STILL in the process of getting a house though. made an offer so I'm waiting on the bank now. It has a nice lil garage that will have what I need. It even has a built in HUGE exhaust fan already. I mean how sweet is that.

What I have planned for this spring is

- tac weld the tear in the door.

- Remove the longbed.

- weld up, grind and epoxy all the seams.

- sand, prep and paint the entire inside of the cab and outside of the longbed.

- Prep and line the bed

- Once all that is done I will put the sound deadening I've had for ever in

- Add carpet and door cards that have been sitting inside for EVER

- Find and redo the dash plastic (hopefully have a replacement by then for the one I broke)

- Install Stereo (Shipped today with 4" Speakers)

Alot of work, but it is all just hinging on getting a garage really and moved into my new home!

I'm tired of this waiting crap!

EDIT:

oh, and here are the speakers (nothing much but good enough for now)

JVC CS-HX438

215179183.jpg

I've showed it already but its the JVC KD-HDR60

KD-HDR60.jpg

• 5 months later...

It's been for ever and a day since I've posted and even longer since I've touched my truck.

I've been lurking on the forums a bit, but haven't posted.

I'm still alive if anybody cares :)

Out of a need to have a reliable vehicle for going up/down to Coeur d' Alene from Boise and to the Oregon coast and back, not to mention back and forth to work 20 minutes each way... I purchased a 2000 Subaru Outback. I got a good deal and it's super clean. Only thing is the Catalytic converters need replacing (check engine light went off right after I got it home!) and it probably needs a tune up so I don't foul the new Cats. The car lot I bought it from works mostly on Subarus and they are splitting the cost of the Cats w/ me so that's pretty sweet of them.

Since haven't had the need to work on the truck. That and I'm a home owner now and I started an upgrade (adding a closet for the entryway), and still trying to pay off credit card bills.

I hope to get back to working on the truck within a few months.

Now that I have alternative transportation I can now start into the big stuff like prep work for paint.

I took her to get some sheetrock the other day though, she started right up like it weren't no thang so, always a plus.

• 8 months later...

Hello everybody!

I almost feel embarrased posting since it has been so long.

I really haven't touched my truck since I got the Subaru.

I honestly don't know if I want to put more into this project or not even though I'm pretty much done.

That said, a guy asked me if I was selling it and it really hadn't occured to me until now that I might be.

I wanted to ask here first. Would anybody here be interested in purchasing this fine project?

The engine is brand new rebuilt, I have a spare even that hasn't been rebuilt, a trailer (Datsun of course) full of parts.

I'm kind of want to keep the trailer though.

Am I just doing the right thing here folks, or should I just stick it out and finish it off?

I'm torn and need opinions.

~DM

welcome back sir..

id say finish it... unless you got somethin better goin on..

you got a subaru? i have one also... what year is yours..

Tis a 2000 Outback. All I've really done is get a nice ass hitch put on and some sweet Perelli all seasons. I guess you can rather easily put on later model struts that are slightly taller along with some spacers and get a good suspension lift going.

But the only reason I say is because a guy selling True Green actually ditched his sales pitch to talk truck with me and wondering if I was selling it. He wasn't sure if it was running and I laughed, saying I could probably start it up right now and burn cookies in the street. He wants to drop a 350 in it I guess. I have no Idea if he has a clue how to do that, but figured if somebody wanted the brand new engine I could sell the truck to the guy and the brand new engine to somebody on here? maybe a crap ton of parts? It was just a thought. I could use the $ right now and I'm not sure if my hearts in it anymore. Owning a house takes so much time away from other things :)

That and I really would like to pay off one of my credit cards for good and drop some $ into other things. Namely a thumper motorcycle project and some upgrades for my GS1100E.

• 3 years later...