DMs '76 620 pickup ...first project attempted

deadmonkey

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 510 manifold was delivered today!

Can't wait to weld up my exhuast. Any of you boise area locals have experience with this kind of thing? I could probably use some help.

I want to put in an extra coupler near the rear of the transmission so I can take that section out with out taking off everything else.

Donno how many people are following this anymore, but is using the one vacuum port on a the Weber carb for both the EGR system and the Distributor ok?

I currently have a hose off the break booster tube.

Or should I use one of the intake manifold venturi?

Anywho, I unboxed the manfold today :)

hope to have time this 'weekend' to get the exhaust all squared away.

notice my freebie! Thanks quik510!

DSCN1279.jpg

I got to the manifold and downpipe today.

There were a few pin holes and a few not so pin holes in it that I welded up

The seam near the end needed to be welded all back up.

DSCN1280.jpg

DSCN1283.jpg

The bolt holes needed a bit of attention as well. Not sure if they were supposed to be like that or not, but I closed them up with some welding and drilled them back out.

one of the studs was fused and of course broke off trying to get the nuts off.

I will probably drill them out and re-tap them and use allen bolts instead of studs.

DSCN1282.jpg

DSCN1284.jpg

So I mounted the the new manifold and down pipe on the spare L20 to start to mock up what I needed to change.

The down pipe hits right at the bottom right tranny bolt.

I would need to either bend a job in the pipe, which I don't have the equipment to do, or cut and re-weld around it.

I then got thinking about all the other work I would need to do in welding up the rest of the pipe.

Being I have never done this before, and I have a tiny space to either get inbetween the tranny and the torsion bar or the frame and the torsion bar...

That and add the fact that if I use the 510 manifold, I will loose one of the emissions points (that stanless 'S' shaped tube.

So I have decided to have the muffler shop just fix the existing exhaust leak and leave the stock 620 manifold on there... I think :)

They, by law, will have to put a catylitic converter in. Not a big deal but more money I don't want to spend if I don't have to.

I will bring down the 510 Header and down pipe along with an extra manifold and see if they can retrofit the tube input and use it as long as it doesn't cost that much for them to fab it I would be up for keeping the 510 manifold and downpipe.

I'll see what they say, but I will most likely go with the stock manifold.

shit man... i feel bad i couldnt help with this...

if we had a garage, the welder, and good days time we could knock that out... home built exhaust systems are the shit!! lol ive built all the pipes on my truck ..

maybe next time? I took it to Boise Muffler (great prices btw) and they didn't have to put in a cat so only cost me $130. I had them put in an extra flange so taking the tranny/engine out will be a snap now with out having to dick w/ the exhaust! I'll get pictures later today if I get a chance.

I have a small exhaust leak on #2 so I'm going to pickup the nicer metalized gasket today from Schmuks. That way the exhaust will finally sound nice. I blame Dan for that since he helped with putting my engine back together <_<

(J/K who knows, it was probably me.)

I'm also going to mod the original are filter to sit on the Weber and cut down on the carb noise. Those are my plans for today and tomorrow :) You are still welcome to help. Maybe I'll get to the jetting today or tomorrow too. I am almost certain the acceleration circuit has issues, because more and more it hesitates at acceleration and issues at start up too.

So I got done with subtracting everything from the air filter assembly today.

DSCN1287.jpg

quite possibly my best idea ever.

I saw on this DIY site where a guy used a table saw to cut perfect circles by putting a center dowel in and raising the blade a little each pass.

I may have to buy tin snips for the other stuff anyways... but I still want to give this a try for the outside. :ph34r:

DSCN1288.jpg

Worked on it a bit more today.

Its almost done I just need to do some more grinding and fill in a couple holes.

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken the time and NOT cut out the mount for the cover, just to weld it back on again.

That and I should have welded a bit on one side, then on the other and go back and forth because I warped it a bit from the heat.

DSCN1290.jpg

DSCN1291.jpg

Test fit.

Success!

DSCN1292.jpg

that looks good man..

are real webers really that loud? i guess this motorcraft carb i have doesnt make as much noise or somethin..

Yeah, unless I'm just imagining things, I can hear the air rushing in. We'll see once I get my exhaust leak fixed at the same time. I can do a test and swap the two air cleaners to see if it really makes any diff.

So one of my break pads must have locked up or id binding. The truck really wants to turn to the left all the time, even more around corners. Stopped at Shucks and orders pads, got home and put my hand near the wheel. I'm glad I didn't just go and touch the drum cuz I could feel the heat radiating like 6" back!

I knew the pads had to be replaced sooner or later, I just put my head in the sand and forgot about it until now.

hey if you have time, pop the grease cap off the hub and make sure it isnt dry wheel bearings...

i locked a hub to a spindle on my old luv... totally locked up on fairview in boise... when i finally got the hub and disk off, the bearings were welded to the races... had to replace the whole spindle..

would hate to see ya have to do that..