Timing chain wedge

85"720

I plan on taking off the head on my z24 and I've been  looking for the wedge online  that holds the timing chain  in place so that the tensioner  doesn't  fall out and cause more work. Does anyone  know where exactly  I can get one at. I've been looking  online and seen some.  people say  it fits, some say it doesn't? Can anyone point me in the right direction  where they got theirs at. Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had bought one from Snap-On years ago (for an L-series), used it a few times, but it mostly sat in the tool box.

Went to grab it 6 months ago, and the plastic was crumbling. Cheap shit !

So I cut one out of 1/2" hard wood.

Will probably be around long after I'm gone.

P.S., Nismo & others make a neat little travel limiter that attaches to the tensioner, that keeps it from coming apart.

Well worth the money.

Take the time to pop your front cover off (good time to replace the crank seal), and adding one.

79355383.jpg

49 minutes ago, G-Duax said:

I had bought one from Snap-On years ago (for an L-series), used it a few times, but it mostly sat in the tool box.

Went to grab it 6 months ago, and the plastic was crumbling. Cheap shit !

So I cut one out of 1/2" hard wood.

Will probably be around long after I'm gone.

P.S., Nismo & others make a neat little travel limiter that attaches to the tensioner, that keeps it from coming apart.

Well worth the money.

Take the time to pop your front cover off (good time to replace the crank seal), and adding one.

79355383.jpg

That's pretty neat. Have you  tried it personally?

The tensioner pictured above is a modified version of the Nismo unit. Here's what the Nismo tensioner looks like. That p/n gets you the entire tensioner assembly. I have used one and it worked as advertised:

EIgpIL4.jpg 

Here's the Nismo plastic chain stopper tool, p/n 99996-KP160. Also works as advertised:

TJJp5YD.jpg

Not sure if you can still buy either of these parts from Nissan Motorsports. Easy enough to make your own from a piece of hardwood as suggested above. From the Haynes manual:

VNX23cr.jpg   

85"720

Yes, have one in my L18 now.

My new engine will have the Kameari externally adjustable tensioner, and would have been in my truck by now is the damn ford specialty machine shop hadn't screwed my block up.

Kameari-tens1.jpg

The idler sprocket on the top right replaces the3 stock tensioner

18 hours ago, G-Duax said:

85"720

Yes, have one in my L18 now.

My new engine will have the Kameari externally adjustable tensioner, and would have been in my truck by now is the damn ford specialty machine shop hadn't screwed my block up.

Kameari-tens1.jpg

The idler sprocket on the top right replaces the3 stock tensioner

Thank you tha thats a Nice piece. Yea I'm trying to avoid  messing  with  the tensioner as much as I can.

The wood ones have to be pounded down HARD to actually wedge the chain. It also drives a small amount of slack ahead of it too. Often no matter how well you do it the cam sprocket is still a bitch to get back on. The better ones go all the way down an just block the tensioner from popping out any further when the cam sprocket is loosened and tension is released.

bfWchpx.jpg

I made this out of fir so it's springy. It wedges easily with a few taps and also pushes the tensioner in.

I use a long Snap-On screwdriver for keeping the tensioner in place. Never let me down.

You could always cut the spring. We've discussed it before, but none of you guys seem to like the idea. Too bad too. I've cut the spring on many, many L engines, and as long as the guide geometry is set up properly, with enough tension on the chain, there are never any side effects as some of you have proposed.

Just noticed the OP is working on a Z24. The How to Keep Your Datsun/Nissan Alive book shows a much shorter wedge shape for the Z series motors (section 9-15). Both types are shown full size so you can easily trace and make a template.  Not sure if there's a pdf version of that book on line somewhere, but there ought to be.

edit- Found it here:

http://datsun510.com/index.php?/files/file/21-how-to-keep-your-datsun-l-z-series-alive/

Edited by Tedman

I like Mike's garden hose idea.

Just cap one end, fold over, insert into engine, hook the other end up to the faucet, and turn on.....

Water pressure expands the hose, and keeps everything in place  :-)

Edited by G-Duax

Well while  everyone  is going nuts with this. Stick a philipshead  screwdriver in between the chain and cam gear to suck up any slack. Then wedge the wood. The idea is to wedge the tensioner before removing the cam gear and any slack from the bottom  end makes it easier on the top. Once secure yank the Philips and you have a few millimeters of slack to work with. Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1