I just want to send it somewhere....

Satdun027

My carb that is. 
720 4x4 kingcab california all stock as far as i know - im sure some stuff is missing...
I've tried. I've tried fixing the carb myself but its just beyond me i guess. I think something is up with the choke mechanism - either the pull off or the solenoid or f@#$#ING whatever! I dont know. Im frustrated and i just want to send it somewhere so somebody more qualified can fix it. 
Is there a place? how do i do this. I dont want to buy a weber - 
thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What year are you talking about.  The 85/86 have the electronic feed back carb that talks to the ECM.

I have an 86 I dailey driver and an 85 parts truck.  The first thing I did to my 86 was put a new Weber DGEV 32/36 on it.  That was in 2011 and all I have done to it since I put it on was clean the air filter, clean and lube the linkage.

Now if you do find someone to rebuild your carb you will still have problems with it.  The rebuild will not address any of the electrical issues the carb will have.  Parts are not available to replace defective electronic parts for the carb.

So you will be throwing good money after bad.

Enjoy your new Peirce manifolds Weber.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/

I have been dealing with Pierce Manifolds for over 3 decades.

• Like 1

Wouldn't a new Weber just be many less headaches?

It would, but he said California. Where its illegal (highly) to visibly modify your vehicle from stock in any way, even if it improves efficiency. He is required to keep everything original on 76 and later vehicles. 

Satdun, united carburetor on franklin blvd in Sacramento does OEM carb restorations. Good people, you wont be disappointed. 

• Like 2

He really didn't say he was located in Cali.

He could have said it was a Cali model.

People are lazy when they speak/type. Which creates miscommunication.

Sounds like Cali loses another point.

But it’s spring time, and hot bronze broads are running around in booty shorts so...points earned back and then some.

• Like 3

But it’s spring time, and hot bronze broads are running around in booty shorts so...points earned back and then some.

90° in Pasco Washington. Plenty of hot ladies flaunting their goods without the California BS attached.

Null and void. -1

• Like 2

I know that in AZ I can get collector car insurance and this takes away the need to pass emissions.  I have not used collector car insurance as my 86 720 with the Weber 32/36 always passes emissions.

Now if it is "illegal (highly) to visibly modify your vehicle from stock in any way, even if it improves efficiency", how do you explain all the custom vehicles, customizing shops. and custom parts manufacturers in California.  After all you say it is illegal in California.  I say this statement is bull shit, in the fact that California is the custom vehicle capital of the US.

If I am wrong in this thought please correct me and post evidence that what I just stated does not exist.

90° in Pasco Washington. Plenty of hot ladies flaunting their goods without the California BS attached.

Null and void. -1

Northern Cali chicks are just hotter, that’s positive points.

• Like 1

He really didn't say he was located in Cali.

He could have said it was a Cali model.

People are lazy when they speak/type. Which creates miscommunication.

Sounds like Cali loses another point.

Null and void. -1

Northern Cali chicks are just hotter, that’s positive points.

We have all of SoCal's Latina girls.

You won't win. Cali sucks.

I'm sure he appreciates all the help.Doesn't Weber have a "carb approved" carburetor for that truck ?

I know that in AZ I can get collector car insurance and this takes away the need to pass emissions.  I have not used collector car insurance as my 86 720 with the Weber 32/36 always passes emissions.

Now if it is "illegal (highly) to visibly modify your vehicle from stock in any way, even if it improves efficiency", how do you explain all the custom vehicles, customizing shops. and custom parts manufacturers in California.  After all you say it is illegal in California.  I say this statement is bull shit, in the fact that California is the custom vehicle capital of the US.

If I am wrong in this thought please correct me and post evidence that what I just stated does not exist.

In CA it's all about the "CARB EO number" (California Air Resources Board).

From smogtips.com:

"EO stands for Executive Order. This is a number given to the emission upgrade component by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The EO number indicates the performance upgrade part is California emissions legal."

It's a bureaucratic way of getting MFG's to pay huge sums of cash for an EO number (which then trickles down to the consumer). The difference between a non CARB approved part and an approved one may literally only be the EO number. I am in the mod business, and I do lots of engine swaps, and getting them to pass can be difficult, even if they burn cleaner and get better mileage with the new engine.

So yes, CA may be the mod capital of the USA, but most of the cars being modded are either older than 1976, or they are using parts with an EO number. It shouldn't matter if what comes out the pipe is cleaner, but the politicians and lobbyists have made it about the money.

• Like 3

The 2400cc engine is the top cc limit for a Weber 32/36.  Jetted properly and it will run fine.  Please do not ask me what jets it takes because it depend on temperture, altitude barometric pressure and condition of the vehicle ir is installed in, to name a few conditions.  Tuning a Weber is like playing a piano, it takes practice.

• Like 1

In CA it's all about the "CARB EO number" (California Air Resources Board).

From smogtips.com:

"EO stands for Executive Order. This is a number given to the emission upgrade component by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The EO number indicates the performance upgrade part is California emissions legal."

It's a bureaucratic way of getting MFG's to pay huge sums of cash for an EO number (which then trickles down to the consumer). The difference between a non CARB approved part and an approved one may literally only be the EO number. I am in the mod business, and I do lots of engine swaps, and getting them to pass can be difficult, even if they burn cleaner and get better mileage with the new engine.

So yes, CA may be the mod capital of the USA, but most of the cars being modded are either older than 1976, or they are using parts with an EO number. It shouldn't matter if what comes out the pipe is cleaner, but the politicians and lobbyists have made it about the money.

Yes I know what the emission law states, but there are litterally millions of custom cars in CA and are you saying they all have to pass emmissions to be registered and driven in CA?.  Also there is a year cut off that any vehicles manufactured before a certain year are exempt from emmisions.  In AZ it is 1966 and prior that are exempt.

If a person in California customizes a 55 chevy vert. does this make the car have to pass emissions in order to be registered in the great state of CA?

• Like 2

We have all of SoCal's Latina girls.

You won't win. Cali sucks.

You can have em all. I can’t stand socal girls. You’re bragging up the wrong tree. Definitely loosing points, you are.

• Like 2

Yes I know what the emission law states, but there are litterally millions of custom cars in CA and are you saying they all have to pass emmissions to be registered and driven in CA?.  Also there is a year cut off that any vehicles manufactured before a certain year are exempt from emmisions.  In AZ it is 1966 and prior that are exempt.

If a person in California customizes a 55 chevy vert. does this make the car have to pass emissions in order to be registered in the great state of CA?

See Cody's post #18. Yes, that's what I'm saying. Unless the vehicle is pre 1976, they all have to pass.

• Like 1

There used to be a 32/34 weber that was ok on some cars. Probably in the early '70s when there was very little serious emissions equipment.

I've posted that info in some other thread here. I believe it was a Pinto carburetor (or similar). Even if you can find the original application, and find the original carb, it won't pass because it won't have the EO number. If you're lucky enough to find the smog legal Weber in it's kit form meant for Datusn, then it can pass.

Someone mentioned sticking a stock air cleaner on top of a DGV and trying to trick the smog tech. This may not be so far off. If you use an electric choke carb with a shutoff solenoid and arre able to seamlessly modify the air cleaner to fit without any sign of being modded, and the wiring is OEM looking, it may do the trick. Some techs won't remember the old days and they might not know what it's supposed to have.

• Like 3

I've posted that info in some other thread here. I believe it was a Pinto carburetor (or similar). Even if you can find the original application, and find the original carb, it won't pass because it won't have the EO number. If you're lucky enough to find the smog legal Weber in it's kit form meant for Datusn, then it can pass.

Someone mentioned sticking a stock air cleaner on top of a DGV and trying to trick the smog tech. This may not be so far off. If you use an electric choke carb with a shutoff solenoid and arre able to seamlessly modify the air cleaner to fit without any sign of being modded, and the wiring is OEM looking, it may do the trick. Some techs won't remember the old days and they might not know what it's supposed to have.

Yes it would have been a Pinto carburetor.I had a mechanic neighbor that insisted i would get unreal horsepower gains if i paid him to put it on.This was 1980 and that carb didn't do shit as far as i was concerned.I think most smog techs have no clue with older stuff,i had to show a tech how to properly check the timing on my sons 85' Toyota pickup.He claimed it was too advanced but wasn't using a jumper wire that plugs into a terminal on the firewall.

• Like 1

Losing* Is this the NorCal education shining through?

-1 Cali.

I threw down a quick post while playing with the kids, not really concerned with typo.

Nah, that's just Frank... He don't spell good...

Thanks bud.
  • Like 2