J13 and tranny from a ‘68 520 install in ‘65 320?

Landlockt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, man. Most excellent scores. These are growing in value exponentially every day. In Australia they're worth some series $$$. In USA it seems the going price for a real nice drivable one is about $6K-$12K. You can find them in fair, rebuildable condition for $600-$3k though.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Good news, bad news.

The same guy had another ‘65 320 with a floor shifter. This one is complete.

I got that one too.

Now I am out off funds to do anything to either one for a while. Lol.

Pics to follow.

That is a challenge.

I have about $40K tied up in three projects right now that I won't get back until I finish them and start selling them. Anyone want to buy a 4x4?

• Like 2

I am not sure they are gauges, I was just asking what they were, they look like turn signal lenses.

Save everything you can, these little trucks are hard to find parts for.

They are gauges. Unfortunateley aftermarket, oil pressure and amp meter drilled through the dash.

Steering wheel horn button/arms/missing ring on that blue one ??

The horn button is there but, the ring is busted off the two arms.

• Like 1

The horn button is there but, the ring is busted off the two arms.

Was a deluxe horn button with the arms and ring available option on late 320's ??

Seems that I've seen Deluxe horn buttons for the 520's, but didn't know if they were available for 320's.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

If I put the J13 and tranny in, what would be a realistic highway cruising speed?

I imagine the 320 and the 520 have similar 4.875 differential gear ratios so the J13 won't even notice the change. If not used much for hauling you have a choice of lower ratios. The H-190 did come in 4.625, 4.375, 4.11, 3.889, 3.70, 3.545, 3.364 but I wouldn't go below 4.11 or 3.90. The 4.375 is very common in the 620. Keep in mind the highway revs have to be high enough to make enough power to push through the wind resistance and climb slight grades without down shifting all the time.

Assuming 600 x 14 tires as on the 520 a J13 with 4.875 will rev

50... 3,450 but 3,107 with 4.375

60... 4,140 but 3,729 "

70... 4,830 but 4,350 "

If the 320 is smaller (not lighter) the J13 may push it through the air easier?

• Like 1

I put 4.37 gears in my 1965 Datsun 320 and it was great, but that one had an A15 engine/5spd out of a B210 in it.

I have 3.89 gears in my NL320 right now, it has the E1 and factory 4spd on the column in it, it is slow starting out but gets right up to 60/65mph, but 70mph is not as easy, the engine just doesn't have the power on hills or in a head wind to hold freeway speed(70mph) and it is a solid engine, it also has a Weber copy and is a good one.

I personally would never use anything other than 4.37 or 4.11 gears behind an E1, I don't know about the J13 as I have never driven anything with a J13 in it.

• Like 2

My 620 has 4.37 in it, but I have a 4.11 sitting in the garage. Considering putting the 4.11 in the 620 and the 4.37 in 320. Seems these days I have the money and parts... But no time to spare.

• Like 1

I live in Tacoma WA. We have hills all over our residential areas and down town is similar to San Francisco with steep grades. I think 4.11 could be problematic in my area, although it would be nice on the highways.

• Like 1

I also have a J13 in my L320, but believe its the original tranny (floor shifter).  I didn't do the swap myself, so can't be of too much help.  It seems to have original 4.88 rear.  It runs just fine by me, never hooked up a tach so I don't know the RPMs.  I've put 25K miles on it, and leave it at around 60 to 65mph on the highway.

I kinda wish it had the original E-1, just for the sake of being all original, but the PO couldn't find rebuild parts for the E-1 and found a J13 easier.  

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

When I had the J13 and floor shifter with stock rear, 65mph was still max freeway wound out, and would make it up there fairly quick, but it was right at 4500rpm, sounded like it was going to explode!

Edited: Actually with the stock wheels it was at 5000rpm.  It would haul anything up to that speed, would be perfect to have that extra gear, like an overdrive unit from Gear Vendors or they had some on my Triumph Spitfire in the 70's too.

Edited by nl320what
  • Like 2