Possible KA Purchase

Acardiel11

How's it going y'all!

I need your guys opinion on this one. My buddy has a buddy that's selling KA. It came out of a 1990 Nissan 240 and he's selling it for $300. Here's some pictures. Maybe you guys can give me some more info on it or if it needs anything else. Thanks in advance!

3D6840AF-C169-4BE1-9526-DB5F5125B91B_zps

650CEC8A-B526-468E-9FE5-99F4D7CEBEC2_zps

B406227D-CEC9-422F-B23E-C2517C74DEF7_zps

F9AB21AA-2178-4F52-979D-F77528A73413_zps

266097F5-9B5A-4259-82E5-595CEB686DDA_zps

03838D0B-1CB7-4149-8EF5-A51FDAB34D47_zps

1611473E-467F-4F7A-8836-D5017F6510F1_zps

• Like 2
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally have not done a compression test but will look up how to do it. Any specific numbers I'm looking for?

Temp and elevation effect compression numbers. don't worry if they are lower that spec. my de was 145 +/- 5 psi on all cylinders cold at 3000ft.

Look for consistency in numbers. also 2 low numbers that are the exact same and right next to each other indicate head gasket failure.

Compression test is cheap and easy. if comp is good and you are still worried look at a leakdown test.

Edit: you can "wet compression test" to look for cylinder or ring wear.

• Like 1

So no one has seen it run? Only the price is right. Car KA are heavy and front sump. Hardbody engines are lighter and rear sump and a better fit for the 620. The car electronics can be swapped and are a separate harness than the D21.

You need a flywheel and a transmission.

• Like 1

To use that ecu and harness will also require the intake manifold and injectors etc. 240 is mpfi d21 is tbi.

That engine will cost you another $300-500 to get everything you need just in parts for it. Not including swap brackets or wiring boxes.

Better bet is to buy a running 2wd 1990 or newer d21 beater for $800. You can know condition of the drivetrain, you have every part necessary to make it run and its the closest to fitting your truck you can get from one single vehicle.

The harness is the worst part. D21 engine harness is part of the complete vehicle harness. It can be separated though it isn't fun to do.

And it will cost the same as what you are looking at and have huge advantages over piecing together a drivetrain

• Like 1

Car oil pans are deeper at the front and a truck steering won't work with it. The oil pan needs to be deeper to the rear where it is out of the way.  You can't just slip a truck D21 oil pan on to 'convert it' because a car KA also has a large heavy crank girdle that interferes with a modified oil pan. Anything is do-able, but a Hardbody truck engine is just easier to fit into a truck. In addition the car KA is a much heavier block.

• Like 2

Car oil pans are deeper at the front and a truck steering won't work with it. The oil pan needs to be deeper to the rear where it is out of the way.  You can't just slip a truck D21 oil pan on to 'convert it' because a car KA also has a large heavy crank girdle that interferes with a modified oil pan. Anything is do-able, but a Hardbody truck engine is just easier to fit into a truck. In addition the car KA is a much heavier block.

Flip the drag link and dent the pan. I wouldn't let something so trivial get in the way of buying a KA.

• Like 2

vSuRSCH.jpg

Left is front. Top is 240sx oil pan. Bottom is D21.

Below is the 240sx oil pan. Front is to the right. Note how deep it is even at it's shallowest. This is so it can cover the internal crank girdle, missing on the D21 block. The D21 is much thinner and the deepest part is at the rear...

Ck5qGPb.jpg

240sx crank girdle.

V6EIA5V.jpg

• Like 3