L16 hesitating, quits and hard to restart

d.p

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...u sure that rotor is for that particular distributor? It should be snug.

All the parts were correct and fit fine.. it was a new cap and rotor even...

When he put the dizzy in the the rotor had like a 1/4" to 1/2" of play in the rotation....

I wish he would put that video up for you to see... I really don't understand what went wrong... did not seem normal...

Racerx, I should have tested it but I figured for $10 I can just replace it and hope for the best.  

Guy I bought the dizzy from doesn't think it needs the HEI module but he has the same one a KA24 so who knows.  

Here is the video crash was talking about: https://flic.kr/p/XYfkrm  The pertronix is already installed in a single points dizzy that he gave me.  But with the rotor moving so much how am I supposed to know where the #1 wire goes?  

So you have a dual points, a single points with pertronix, a remote igniter coming? and a '79 matchbox? I'm getting lost here.

Yes and no.

I have 3 dizzys in my possession.

1. My stock dual points currently in the truck

2. Single points w/pertronix  (the one in the video above)

3. Parts dizzy off a spare L16

I bought that L4 el dizzy which you said needs an HEI module and I simply asked whether that 79 matchbox would work.  

So what I am wondering is whether the pertronix rotor is supposed to have that much play.  

My guess would be that you are using the wrong pedestal for that distributor in that video, it is not dropping all the way into the drive gear.

If it came off a running engine then you have the wrong part on your engine or there is a spacer that is not supposed to be there or your not getting the distributor to drop all the way in. 

Did you turn that rotor all the way around, or did you just point it towards where you thought it should be when installing the distributor, sometimes the rotor points exactly the opposite way when installed or when installed wrong, it depends on the dist.

Racerx, I should have tested it but I figured for $10 I can just replace it and hope for the best. I understand but by not testing it you could have replaced a good part. Yes only 10 bucks but you want to get into a good habit of testing first before buying. Shit will add up if you keep it up.

Guy I bought the dizzy from doesn't think it needs the HEI module but he has the same one a KA24 so who knows.

Here is the video crash was talking about: https://flic.kr/p/XYfkrm The pertronix is already installed in a single points dizzy that he gave me. But with the rotor moving so much how am I supposed to know where the #1 wire goes?

Racerx, I should have tested it but I figured for $10 I can just replace it and hope for the best.

Here is the video crash was talking about: https://flic.kr/p/XYfkrm The pertronix is already installed in a single points dizzy that he gave me. But with the rotor moving so much how am I supposed to know where the #1 wire goes?

Yes its only 10 bucks but its wise to get into a good habit of checking and diagnosing prior to. Shit will add up. Next time diagnose first. Its all good we all been there that's why we try to,pass on wise habits

Rotor does not return when I move it...just stays where ever I move it to (within 14 - 1/2' range of movement).  I took it apart and it looks complete to me?  When I installed it I used my stock mount and a spare timing plate.  

37147959195_592e245d88.jpg

Shit I did over the last day or so...removed the one condenser on the side of the dizzy and to replace the screw and re-seat it.  Those mounting screws have got to be the softest metal ever, they just fall apart when you put a screwdriver in them.  Adjusted the lash hot to .010 - .012 for intake/exhaust.  Then drove the truck around today fairly hard and it drove fine, didn't die or hesitate but who knows if I just didn't drive it long enough.  

What makes you think my truck is fine now lol? 

Dude

You didnt take shit apart yet going by that photo. you just removed the Pertronix.

Where is this movement? I hope its not just a worn out under side of that plastic rotor. Thats EZ to spot even for a novice.

Take the dist and see if it still moves and rest where its last placed. Hard to do it when it out of the motor to secure the bottom end to do this.  Or hold the bottom with needle nose pliers and twist the top and see if it moves like in the vid and stays in that spot. then you have to pull the dist apart. Why? I dont know its not like you have new springs with you. Most likely they broke  .

To open the distributor you got to pull the vacuum adv off and then the plate where the Pertronix/Points was on. then the phillips screw on top where the rotor was.

Persoanlly I think your truck if fine if you been driving it around enought already.  If you running it low on gas everytime then change the filter again so no debriss get in the jets.   Just drive it.   I SAY AGAIN ITS fine you just have OCD or used to new vehicles

We are going 5 steps backwards on this subject

you spent alot of money on nothing stuff so far on this truck. Head oil leak ect and taking to the shop now this and that. Truck was fine all along.

I took the dizzy w/pertronix completely apart and it looked like the part that holds the rotor was in-between the two pins instead of mounted on them.  That would explain why it was moving so freely in my earlier video.  I put that piece over (on?) the pins so now the rotor only moves with the shaft.   Both springs were there and unbroken.  I put it all back together and it appears to be moving correctly now.   

So at this point I should be able to swap this one in?  I can use my stock pedestal and timing plate? 

OK that is correct what you said and makes sense why it has that slop in there.

Since you have the Pertronix dist use this . I think they work great. Just use the old stock coil and ballast resisitor

the drawing on how to hook up is in the How to section or the Pertrnix website

more or less hook the red Pertronix with to the +side of ballast resisitor(blk/wht wire( get a double jumper from the part store so you dont need to cut wires)

Black goes to the -side coil

done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!