Baja 520

In 1967, I believe, Peter Brock and a friend drove the length of the Baja California peninsula, just because. They did it in a 1967 Datsun 520 pickup. The next year, Bruce Meyers drove his Meyers Manx buggy on the same route, and did it faster. Basically these two runs were the precursor to the Baja 1000 offroad race that carries over to the present.

I am curious as to what, if any, modifications were made to the truck, and if there are any photos of that 520 available. Peter Brock went on to race Datsuns (BRE), so maybe the truck had some "extra" work done to it. Actually, photos of any of the early Baja Datsun race trucks would also be interesting....there was a pretty good turnout of 521's and 620's in the early years of the race, if I remember correctly.

Crabby

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a novel place to find the information!!! Sure didn't look like a whole bunch of mods were done to the 520....skid plate, bumper. roll bar. Probably either Chevy pickup or Toyota Land Cruiser wheels. I just read an article in Grassroots Motorsports (?) about the Baja prepped 240Z....it has been restored, and was/is one neat ride.

Yes, Baja would be fun....especially if it could be done "old school", low tech.

Once upon a time someone posted a picture of a BITCH'N 620 prerunner. I have not been able to find it though. Anyone know of the truck I'm talkink about?

I know of the truck i bet you are thinking of, its white. I think that the last time i saw pictures of it, it was in the for sale section. Thinking that somebody had it on craigslist.

Very cool truck though

Edited by yello620
I know of the truck i bet you are thinking of, its white. I think that the last time i saw pictures of it, it was in the for sale section. Thinking that somebody had it on craigslist.

Very cool truck though

It was white. I didn't think it was for sale. I know it was cool as hell though. Full on race fenders and bed WITH HOOKS IN TACT!!!!!!

Hell, I just want a set of those fenders.