barNLove!

HOGIE

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if I just got lucky but I replaced most of my brake components with new parts and everything seems to be working correctly so far and it's been coming on to 2 years since I've done the work.

I created a thread HERE with all the parts I used, hopefully it comes in handy.

Awesome. This is exactly the type of info I needed.

• Like 1

nice!

I was driving around yesterday. I thought about texting you to see what's goin on with the NL, but I just drove around a bit more and went home. Need to come check it out and get my hands dirty.

Agreed. Come over next weekend and we should get it started. Haven't even tried yet.

• Like 2

Awesome. This is exactly the type of info I needed.

I had a hard time finding out correct part numbers so I figured I'd document them when I had the chance.  

Replacement parts were cheap enough that it was more cost effective to buy new instead of rebuilding or buying used.

• Like 3

A lot of maintainance stuff for these old beasts can still be found out there. Just have to be persistent. Internet is greatest tool devised so far for gathering info and hard items. A query on Ratsun will generally get you good, informative experienced feedback and part sources. The 320 owners are one of the most sane groups that I've experienced in any collector medium. Guess it;s just the overall character of the little creatures. Creatures being the pickups, not the owners/caretakers. Can't drive one without grinning the top half of your head off !!!

Hoagie, You might try Ivan in Ft. Worth for parts as you need them. He was trying to sell a lot of the old stuff in his inventory a year and a half or so ago. I acquired a box of struff from him including rear shocks, timing chain tensioner, full gasket set, and more. He dug and dug and found correct parts for me. Didn't have everything, but everything counts.

Import Auto Parts of Ft Worth TX 
iapot2.2012@gmail.com
817-921-3944  817-926-9704  817-966-6165

Steve

• Like 2

On my 521, and every other 521, the brake components are metric, chassis hardware are SAE, and the cab is metric. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. If I have to run new brake lines with new fittings I'd be fine with that. This project going to e a stock cruiser but some chassis upgraded will happen to make it safe and reliable. I do like the idea of moving to a dual brake master setup.

My 66 411 is all SAE, It's a weird thing to get used to, but easy enough to work with. :lol: 

• Like 3

The 320's are pretty much all SAE except for vendor supplied items such as light units and some electrical items. That's been my experience so far and I've wrenched pretty much all of this NL except the rear axle. And that's slated for a ratio change next year. Life just keeps getting better.

Steve

• Like 6

Came home to a few boxes form RockAuto

Inside are a wheel cylinder kit( I thought I bought two), front wheel cylinders, and adjusters for all corners.

Also was gifted two almost brand new drums by Rhino. Thanks dude.

image_zpsuqthhl8s.jpg

Hopefully I have time this weekend to get the brakes spiffed up

• Like 4

I don't know if I just got lucky but I replaced most of my brake components with new parts and everything seems to be working correctly so far and it's been coming on to 2 years since I've done the work.

I created a thread HERE with all the parts I used, hopefully it comes in handy.

deerio, The part numbers you have listed for wheel cylinders here I was able to find in the 521 section on rockauto and to my knowledge 521's have metric brake components. Based on what difrangia has said below 320's have SAE brake components, did you have to use different brake line fittings when installing the the wheel cylinders?

The 320's are pretty much all SAE except for vendor supplied items such as light units and some electrical items. That's been my experience so far and I've wrenched pretty much all of this NL except the rear axle. And that's slated for a ratio change next year. Life just keeps getting better.

Steve

Steve what's your take here?

I'll come to my own conclusions very soon

• Like 1

The 521 has SAE body parts, brake lines and such, the engine is metric.

I got that part but my question is more directed at deerio's use of parts that are listed as 521 brake parts, as you've just stated are metric, on his 320. It was just said that 320's are all SAE, wayno is this true? And if so the brake fittings would need to be swapped out for metric to use those parts. Just trying to confirm

• Like 1

Wayno is correct. In the USA Datsun used fine threaded SAE fittings ending with the starting of the 620.  Brake lines and hoses are all SAE threaded.  Hosed stop here on Ratsun can make you what you need and at a fair price.  Body bolts are SAE also. 

Here is info on the lug stud/nut size for the 521 I beleive the 320 is the same.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70853-521-wheels/?do=findComment&comment=1435845

• Like 2

I've never touched a 5-Series pickup; been something like 90 % through our 320 though and everything that I've checked is SAE except some of the electrical gadgets which were supplied from outside Nissan, I believe.

We also have a 78 620 'Bulletside' and that animal is metric through and through.

I'd pretty much take Wayno's word for gospel on the 5-series. 

• Like 3

Draker came over today to check out the NL. We were planning to work on the front brakes but once he was there we decided to try to start her on up. Right away we needed to make a call into wayno to confirm that it was positive ground. Now I know, alternator negative ground and generator positive ground. Installed Craig's spare battery. We figured out the spark. Cleaned fuse block a little. Cleaned the points. Cleaned connection at the coil. Checked for spark at the plug. We have spark. Now fuel. Lines coming from hard line to fuel pump are nasty soft and full of lacquer smelling nasty fuel that is thick and brown cleaned the hard line coming from the pump. Tried to get pump to draw out of a fuel can but the pump had no umph. Just poured fuel in the float through vent. Craig got to taste it first. Yum. Pulled the choke and turned it over. It's started right up and runs well. I pushed the choke in and killed it. Pulled it back out again, starts and runs. Once the float was dry it died again. I'm very happy. Craig took a video, it should show up sometime soon

• Like 2

Positive ground is the way it is on 320s, but other trucks it may not be, some trucks have generators and are negative ground.

Mike changed my 1964 NL320 to negative ground and put a Toyota alternator on it, but a few years back a gal and her husband showed up at Canby with a Green L320 that had an alternator on it that was modified to be positive ground, it just has to be figured out for each vehicle, but since yours had sat for so long, I called positive ground and hoped I was right.

I am happy that it started and ran, hopefully once you get water in it and can warm it up it will run without the choke pulled out, but that is fairly normal, they don't idle good when cold without the choke being used.

Next time fill the bowl up with gas, and have the hose from the fuel pump in the gas can, maybe it will pick up the fuel before the bowl runs out of gas, otherwise you will likely need a new or another fuel pump, don't throw yours away, as they can be rebuilt, I have a couple diaphragms to rebuild them I got from Vindats, maybe she has more of them.

Question, does your fuel pump have a primer lever on it?

DSCN2674_zpsbwal3eju.jpg

DSCN2678_zpsh5bog18a.jpg

• Like 2

I don't believe his has the primer as pictured.

It has bright green coolant in it. We had a hose ran down to a gas can, but it didn't pull in any fresh fuel. If it did, it would have probably got to temp, and maybe even idled. It runs good! I was surprised when it turned over so easy. It kinda just fired up after a few cranks and died when the bowl ran dry.

Was a good day. I was happy to see the NL. Gonna look so good when cleaned up.

• Like 1