Saying hello and goodbye at the same time

Hey, my name is Billy and I have been a lurker on this site for the last few years.  I was a bit more active on 311s.org.  I have the same screen name over there as well.  I joined these forums when I purchased my 1967.5 Datsun Roadster 1600 back in 2012.  Through my ownership it has had a lot of work done...some restoration, some resto-mods, some modification.  Really just wanted a great driver that would eventually receive and SR20 swap.  But, a rough marriage is now ending in a divorce.  I know many people like to recommend keeping the car, but for many reasons, financial to start, I cant.  I am trying to sell it on a number of sights.  I figured let me try here as well.  Hoping after a post or two I will be able to put it in the classifieds section.  Just tried to put it in the CL/ebay section.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unless you need the money, storage is an option. A Datsun will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no Datsun. Come back to it in a few years when you can carry on.

Money is one of the biggest issues at this point.  Need the money for the divorce proceedings itself.  Then its a storage issue, would have to at best keep it on the street year round in the northeast which I dont want to do...will not be able to afford storage.  Also trying to adopt more of Daoist philosophy...less I have in my life, the less headaches I will have as well.

• Like 1

I hear that!

I was thinking a friend's place under a tarp.

Mine stays under a tarp in the driveway, perfectly safe and dry!

Sorry you're having to sell, hope something works out.

EDIT: I just saw your classified ad. That car is very nice! You shouldn't have a any problems selling if that's what it comes down to...

I have to sell it.  It is a very nice car.  Living in the northeast and not having a functioning soft top, I never got to enjoy the car enough in the time that I owned it. So, I never really made a bond with the car.  My friend who did 95% of all of the work on the car will be more upset about selling it than I will be.

Bigger life issues right now than missing a car.

Thanks for the compliment on the car,,,but hasnt sold yet.

I feel sorry for you. To have a datsun and never develop a loving bond with it is a fucking tragedy. Since I got my 510, women and relationship problems have come and gone, the Datsun is always there for me and is never judgemental.

I feel sorry for you. To have a datsun and never develop a loving bond with it is a fucking tragedy. Since I got my 510, women and relationship problems have come and gone, the Datsun is always there for me and is never judgemental.

I hear ya.  I bought it with major problems so it took a lot to get it going.  Had to sue a mechanic who had the car for 10 months of the 4 years I owned it.  Then garaged it over the winters.  Half of most summers I had it off the road for major projects (stock engine swap, brake and suspension  overhauls, electrical gremlins).  Plus without having the soft top, I couldnt take it to work when there was a chance of rain.  If I had to pick my kids up (8 and 2) the car had to stay home.  Every time I drive the car there is a smile on my face.  It gets lots of attention, reaction, compliments, etc.  But bottom line...its a car.

Ive got financial difficulties that make it hard to justify.  Even taken it off the road and leaving at someone else's house isnt the best idea when I have finances to meet.

I know what it means to be a car guy.  My dad built/restored a real '69 GTO with my brother when I was younger.  My first car was a '67 Cutlass.  I somehow manged to always have a daily driver and a fun car for the side.  I watch Velocity more than any other channel.  I am a member on several different forums for a few different platforms.  In my spare time I scan through the Craigslist ads searching for anything older than 1991 so I can find something I can put classic insurance on.  But right now an extra car isnt as helpful as many people imply...its actually hurtful...primarily financially.  I have to look at it as its just a car.

I sold my baby a '92 300zx several years ago because I wasnt driving it much and I wanted something different  For many years after I regretted my decision.  But I got over it as I got different cars.  If I ever was in a wreck (thank God I wasnt) Im sure the sympathizers would say...its just a car.

Right now I have to focus on finding another place to live, and MOST importantly, how to make this major life transition as easy as possible on my kids.  My kids more than anything, followed by my real life needs are my priorities right now.  My Roadster is just a car.

Ive learned a lot about the car, and when things are better I would be happy to look for something else.  Owning the Z32 I was always a fan of the Z cars...but comparatively theyre not as unique.  I love 2 door 510's, and at least then I would have a back seat for the kids.  I will find something else when things are better.  Things have a way of working out.  God gives us all the grace we need for today.  Unfortunately, my best interests require me to look at my Roadster as just a car....there will be more.

if your a hard core Datsun guy you might miss your ex wife but if not you wont.

I sold off 3 and I never missed them

Just remember....

Your Datsun will never get mad if you enjoy driving another car, even if younger than she is.

Your Datsun never has a headache.

Your Datsun doesn't mind if you want to drive her hard in public.

Your Datsun doesn't mind if you want to drive her at 3 AM.

Your Datsun enjoys a four on the floor as much as you do.

Your Datsun doesn't mind if you didn't shave and shower before getting into her.

Your Datsun won't get upset if you let your friends drive her.

Your Datsun can be driven and enjoyed all month long.

Your Datsun won't take you to court for alimony if you get rid of her.

Your Datsun doesn't need to talk after a long day of driving her hard.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...