Trip to Bend!

HRH

So Rose and I are doing a little trip to Bend, leaving here in an hour or so.  Going to do some easy back packing and camping with a friend of hers when we get down there.  Just camp a night, maybe two, then we'll see.  Just put a new AFM on Wynona, fixed a vacuum leak.  Shouldn't have any problems, but if I do, you can bet you guys are going to get some texts!! :D

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, who is in or near bend who might have a spare lash pad, rocker follower, and or other L bits and pieces?

Did something stupid on the way down. Raced a butch in an Altima. Won, by the way. But after extended 3rd gear 6000 rpm running, car got hot and made bad noises like possible detonation and or valve train instability.

Didn't overheat, car still runs but on 5.5 cylinders, and makes ticking from head. Injectors are all working, pulling spark plugs and valve cover tomorrow morning to inspect. Hopefully find something simple to fix. Don't know if I'll need extra valve train parts or not. Hoping I didn't burn a valve. I'll let you guys know in the am.

So there appears to be bottom end knock. Plugs were fine, valves were fine, but it's looking like I'm going to need to tow it back. Debating on possibly a flight back to Spokane and or renting a uhaul with a tow dolly.

Flights seem to be uber expensive. Diego, you have any room in your semi? ;)

No hydraulic lifters on maxima. Solid like regular L. But, I have news. 155 psi on 1-5, 40 psi on 6. Have removed injector plug on 6, runs much better, albeit on 5 cylinders. Good enough to get me back to Spokane.

Looks like I'll be rebuilding the wagon this winter. Anyone have a 260 crank and rods? Might as well stroke it while I'm at it. May also get a 5 speed. We'll see. Need a pedal set top if I do that.

• Like 1

So we're back home in Spokane.  We were going to go to Soda Lake or near there and back pack in and camp.  But by the time we got there it was pretty late, and apparently the Columbia Refuge Area near Pot Holes State Park is not okay with camping.  Day use only.  So we started up a trail and immediately got eaten to death by mosquitos.  Rose much more so than I.  In about 5 minutes, we counted 19 bites on Rose.  I was better at swatting wildly.  We abandoned that then, and decided to drive back to Spokane and go hiking around here tomorrow since I took tomorrow off too.

Wynona did fine on the way back other than crappy idle and off exhaust note.  Got 28 mpg last leg, lol.  Had a tail wind through the gorge, but not that much of one.  Aside from not having power to accelerate, she still cruised at 75 without issue.  Now to move a few things so she can get in the garage.  I'll take the bore camera in the hole and figure out exactly what happened.

I'm beginning to think because I held her at 6000 for more than a minute, the stock valve springs may have had an issue and the exhaust and intake may have touched, thus bending both of them slightly.  That would also explain the detonation knock sound I hear as the intake would still be slightly open and the charge that was fired would then back up into the intake or reverse, and anyway, that's my theory.  So I'm expecting to see valve issues.  No oil eating, no water eating.  Held temperature and pressure just fine on the way back.

The good news is if it's just the head, then I may well be able to get away with just rebuilding the head and leaving the bottom end.  Though I may just decide to rebuild the whole motor because if I bulletproof the head, you just know the next thing is a spun rod bearing.  We shall see.

• Like 1