Torsion bars

Datsundude123

Pretty stupid question but i was wonder what torsion bars actually do and if you hold anything In place.

I wanted to lower my truck so I just took the bots out that hold that rear key thing up but sense they aren't really being used I was wondering if I can just take them out or if I can flip that key thing upside down so I don't scrape on it.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just removed your springs.  Now you have none.  Tried driving it like that?  Unless this is a trailer queen that gets driven on and off a trailer at shows and nowhere else this is a very, very bad idea unless you've replaced them with different springs (coilovers or air bags, for example)

Without them the frame sits on the A-arms.  Well, not long, since the remains of the suspension will fail from metal to metal slamming repeatedly into each other from every tiny bump.

• Like 2

You just removed your springs. Now you have none. Tried driving it like that? Unless this is a trailer queen that gets driven on and off a trailer at shows and nowhere else this is a very, very bad idea unless you've replaced them with different springs (coilovers or air bags, for example)

Without them the frame sits on the A-arms. Well, not long, since the remains of the suspension will fail from metal to metal slamming repeatedly into each other from every tiny bump.

Shit!! Well what do I do cause I want my truck as low as I can get it.
  • Like 2

You can reindex it all the way to the frame if you wanted to.  Or you can take the wheels off and it'll be lower.  And just about as practical as having the A-arms hitting the frame.  You need some suspension travel or you'll just break things.

Hell, I backed the adjusters not even all the way off and it was almost undriveable except on smooth pavement.  Not much of that here in Washington. Constantly bottoming out the suspension.  I went half as much on the next one. 

You want lower, you'll have to do custom fabrication, airbags, and completely different front suspension.

As for fixing the alignment, I already said- custom A-arms.  They're longer to compensate for the negative camber caused by lowering the torsion lever.  Someone here used to make them.

• Like 1

I drive my almost everyday here in WA... Reindexed torsion bars 3 notches and completely cranked down torsion bars. Also have 720 4x4 leafsprings and 3" blocks. I'm about a pack of cigarettes thickness from off the ground.... frame to ground, that is. body has plenty of clearance

YES i high center on everything

YES it rides like shit

YES i fucking love it.

NO I can't go over speed bumps

NO it's not practical

NO I can't haul anything with it.

20160222_1218041_zpsuisvosnp.jpg

• Like 1

I drive my almost everyday here in WA... Reindexed torsion bars 3 notches and completely cranked down torsion bars. Also have 720 4x4 leafsprings and 3" blocks. I'm about a pack of cigarettes thickness from off the ground.... frame to ground, that is. body has plenty of clearance

YES i high center on everything

YES it rides like shit

YES i fucking love it.

NO I can't go over speed bumps

NO it's not practical

NO I can't haul anything with it.

20160222_1218041_zpsuisvosnp.jpg

Haha I think I might just keep it frame on frame for now! I don't give 2 shits about the ride quality

Oh, BTW.. I took my t bars out when u was reindexing them and placed on the ground to see how low it was... It's not drivable with 14" wheels and 185/65 tires. The tires wedge and it doesn't roll.....

So.....yeah. ...good luck

Form (looks) should follow function (use). A truck looks like a truck because it was designed to do truck things. When you have function following form (because you 'think' it looks cool) you get a non truck. Shitty ride, dangerous handling, can't go just anywhere, can't carry a load anymore, uncomfortable, tires worn on the insides and rubbing the fenders on the outsides, noisy because the muffler is always getting ripped off. 

Form (looks) should follow function (use). A truck looks like a truck because it was designed to do truck things. When you have function following form (because you 'think' it looks cool) you get a non truck. Shitty ride, dangerous handling, can't go just anywhere, can't carry a load anymore, uncomfortable, tires worn on the insides and rubbing the fenders on the outsides, noisy because the muffler is always getting ripped off.

What do you suggest??

I don't care about the ride and its not going to be used as a truck

I want it to be a super low but I also don't want to break any suspension parts.

Should I just lift it up enough that I can put the bumpstops on it so I'm riding on bumpstops instead of frame???

Thanks.

To get it that low, there is a lot of engineering that needs to take place.  For example, turn the front wheels lock to lock and see how much clearance you need to make.  There's a LOT of metal work required.  Then you have to get the suspension geometry reconfigured so it goes straight down the road without shredding your tires every 1000 miles, as you'd be buying new ones twice for every oil change.  You can always convert to coil-over shocks, but again, to sit that low will require some serious effort.  

Mhub gave you instructions on getting as low as he is.  You can just follow what he said.  To get any lower, and not be a complete ridiculous danger to everyone else on the road, will take fabrication.  After a certain point, every inch of drop exponentially increases the amount of work you need to do.  Another option would be drop it some and then do a body drop over the frame.

Trust me, I am as low as you can go being relatively SAFE, and having relative comfort WITHOUT fabricating or going airbags. 

It's plenty low.... Even other dudes in lowered 620s go "Holy fuck that thing is low!". 

Pics are above. Tan truck with roof rack. It might not look low in pics, because in that pic I raised it up about 1" to clear the torsion hangers to go to the local garbage dump...

It's about 1" lower that in that pic

• Like 1

First step is to ditch those stock sized tires and put some 185/60-14 tires onto the stock rims. That'll drop it for you. Though if you have a 4-speed, I just hope you don't have to drive a lot of freeway miles, because the smaller tires will be spinnin' like crazy. But that will lower the truck and it will help prevent the tires from rubbing the fenderwells. 

• Like 2

First step is to ditch those stock sized tires and put some 185/60-14 tires onto the stock rims. That'll drop it for you. Though if you have a 4-speed, I just hope you don't have to drive a lot of freeway miles, because the smaller tires will be spinnin' like crazy. But that will lower the truck and it will help prevent the tires from rubbing the fenderwells. 

+1

• Like 1