Coolant everywhere. And not enough fuel. Mike where you at lol

Ponyboy Easley

Im the one with that gasket issue. So i got that finished and did the head gasket, manifold gasket and few other gaskets. Also replaced fuel pump.

2 new problems. Coolant is rushing out under the intake and exhaust manifold. As soon as you turn the key and let it turn over ans stop. You here coolant just rushing to the ground. Right under the manifolds. Anyone have any know leaks? Anywhere its flowing. I really would hate to take the manifolds off again...unless I have to.

Also i cant seem to get enough fuel to start half the time. If i dab some gas in the carb, boom, its ready to fire up. My gas carb work and lack of fuel pressure. Im running a webee carb. Could use as much help as i can get!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I thought. I swear its got to be a bolt or something that goes to the block thats just undee the manifold. And i check around the housing. Its not leaking from there....i tried to follow as best i could and its straight under the intake manifold just hidden to where i cant see it.

Ill check the thermostat housing again though! Also worth a secone look. Thanks!

The intake isn't seated tightly. The '78 has coolant openings in the head that match openings in the intake. Coolant exits the intake just below and in front of the carb... you probably wondered what that hose and metal pipe was that goes to the thermostat housing was for? If the intake is not on properly it will just dribble out. None of the bolts or studs go through and into the coolant jacket so no worries there.

Lets see... no gas but replaced the fuel pump. Let me think... are these two things are related.  :lol:  Put the old pump back on and try it. You should have two gaskets sandwiching a plastic spacer under the pump.

• Like 2

The starter turns the engine over, it just does not start. Cranking is the same thing.

Cold engine... Look down the carb with the air filter off. The choke plate should be closed OR when you pump the gas pedal it should snap shut.

Closed...

32-36_DGEV_Electric_Choke.jpg

Open...

XEQI6.jpg

Hold choke open and pump the gas. What you should see is a strong squirt of fuel into the primary barrel. If it does, pump 3-4 times and try starting it. (cranking)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I beleive I have fixed the coolant issue. When I put it back together I guess I lost one of the bolt and washers that I needed to tighten both intake manifold and exhaust manifold. The missing one was also in the same spot I was leaking from. So after getting that fixed I realized I forgot to put in the intake plate between the intake and manifold. So fixed that, re did the timing so now the car wants to fire up and is in as close to perfect timing as you can get it. 

Now.....I cannot hold an idle AT ALL. My guess, carbs bad or I have a major vaccum leak. Oh and guess what, im going to have to take off all the manifolds again to do a gasket replacement on that. Yay. This will be the 4th time doing it. Love and hating this truck. But anyways.....anyone know of any good carbs or fuel conversions I can do that wont be too much? I need a running car for work mostly. 

stop and think and ask before you do.

You adjust the mixture on the carb?

if dont leak water then the manifold gasket is Ok untill you get it running to see if its good.

bolt the carb down good. pump the gas and it shouls at leas fire off a little as pump the gas is like pouring gas in the carb the fumes should fire off if everything is right

spark plugs might be wet with radiator water getting sucked in

Your intake and exhaust and not bolted and sealed together.

Here's mine. This is the intake looking up from underneath. Those two holes are for the carb. This is another drawback to this set up. Seal it up with RTV.

U-67intextmanifold001Large.jpg