1977 datsun 620 long bed z24 swap

Ricky1981

Sup Ratsun people. I'm new to the page, and still trying to find out how it works lol. I have a 1977 620 long bed . I came across an 1986 d21 short bed I pet the motor and transmission on the 620 but the tranny is too short it measures 31 1/2 in. So my question Is there a longer transmission I can use or do I have to use my fabrication skills?

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 620 auto or standard 71B transmissions after '73 are 31.5" long.

The D-21 Hardbody 71C transmission is slightly longer.

Maybe a few pictures would help? perhaps someone has previously swapped transmissions.

I put a Z24 into my 620 using a 31.5" 71B 5 speed and it fit perfectly.

• Like 1

You better post some pictures because something does not add up.

ALL 620s AFTER '73 USE 31.5" LONG 4 OR 5 SPEEDS.

D21 four and five speed 71C transmissions are not the same length as the 31.5" 71B transmissions..

You either don't have a D21 transmission or are measuring it incorrectly. Stand the transmission up on 2x4 blocks. Place a straight edge across the tailshaft. Measure out about 9 or 10" and then measure vertically down to the outer lip of the transmission front case where it bolts to the engine. You may be measuring on an angle and getting a longer slope distance.

• Like 1

The differences in wheelbase on the 620 is behind the cab and the transmission. It's all in the frame and front drive shaft lengths and has nothing to do with the transmission length.

A D-21 transmission is either too short or too long (I forget) but either way it is not 31.5".

• Like 1

If you are getting 31.5" then likely it is shorter. I wasn't sure if shorter or longer but definitely not the same.

You don't have to measure it again. Things make sense now. How much are we talking about an inch? two?

• Like 1

In the image above, you must measure along the very top of the edge of the picture from the bell till even with the back of the tail. Or stand the transmission vertically and measure vertically.

If you measure from the end of the tail up to the bell to the bell you will get a false 'slope' distance.

I did this on my truck after welding in a transfer case. The intermediate driveshaft from trans to trans case was slightly short so I found a longer spline. Just as long as there is enough splines engaged it should be alright.

Copyof00270010.jpg

So I haven't had any chance to post any pics. I haven't had time to figure out this site but I will this weekend. I hit the junk yard and ca me across a máxima with an L7 manual transmission so I bought it home and fits perfectly. Any comments?

First off, dude come on with the pics! 

Second, I hope it works out for you. Did you have to modify the trans cross member or mounting bracket?

Third, dude pics

So I haven't had any chance to post any pics. I haven't had time to figure out this site but I will this weekend. I hit the junk yard and ca me across a máxima with an L7 manual transmission so I bought it home and fits perfectly. Any comments?

These are the transmissions for the L24 engine.

'80-'84 Maximas had FS5W71B 5 speeds.

'80-'82 Maximas had 3N71B 3 speed automatics

'83-'84 Maximas had L4N71B 4 speed automatics.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry Been really busy working and stuff and than my phone took a crap so anyway , finally figuered out the pics lol.

Right now I am leaving the transmission alone and concentrating on getting it started looks like the tranmission its a bit tilted to the left so i have to either customise the tranny mount or get the right trans. Anyway set that aside for later. I conected everything pretty much . Noow i am working on connecting the distrutor can anybody help on that that ?

These are the transmissions for the L24 engine.

'80-'84 Maximas had FS5W71B 5 speeds.

'80-'82 Maximas had 3N71B 3 speed automatics

'83-'84 Maximas had L4N71B 4 speed automatics.

Loks like I would have to do some modifications on this trans because it sits a little to the left or get the righ trns anyway im decided to take a break fron the transmission and start hooking everything up. But hit another rock with the distributor how do i connect this sucker? My motor is 86 and the distributor looks like is connected to the computer. Can I hot wire it or is do i have to get a different distributor and coils? Any good comments would be appreciated.