DON'T Use Photobucket on Ratsun

SKIP THROUGH TO THE END TO SEE WHY.

This forum thrives on photos.  People can't get enuf of 'em.  Problem is, posting photos takes a little bit of geek-fu and some of the grasshoppers are having trouble with that.  There's nothing wrong with the pinned "How To" but it's from 2007 and I thought I'd take a stab at the subject.  Sometimes it clicks for people when they read a couple of different versions of the same material.

First, some camera basics.

#1) Use a decent camera.  Doesn't have to be a $1000 DSLR.  I use an Olympus SP-500UZ, which was a great little camera when it was new but it's outgunned by most modern point & shooters.  The SP500 does pretty good macro work, and that's critical for taking pictures of small stuff under the hood.  It also tells me where it's focusing by use of a small white box.  Knowing where it's focusing saves me a lot of trips back and forth between the PC & the car.  We've all seen images where the background is in perfect focus but the carburetor is a blur.        

#2) It's nearly impossible to put too much light on the subject.  If you're trying to take a picture of something under the hood, light 'er up.  The camera can easily adjust to more light.  What it can't do is make up for not enough light.  Packing several lights into the work space reduces deep shadows, which is a plus.

#3) Take a bunch of shots.  Some won't turn out.  Better to take a dozen pics and use one than take two pics and find out they're both crap.

#4) Learn how to set the camera resolution downward.  1024X768 is more than you need for posting to the forum.  1024X768 refers to pixels per side.  Compression and scaling are 2 different things.  I can create a .jpg with very little data (lots of compression) and still make it large (scaling).  It'd look horrible, but it can be done.  Compression is one way of referring to the amount of data in the image; scaling is a way to describe how the image will display on the screen.  What we're looking for on the forum is an image that's scaled appropriately (no more than 1024X768) and has enough data to be informative.  My pictures have been coming in at roughly 120+KB to 200KB, which is more than necessary.

So, as mentioned in the other "How-To", go to Photobucket and sign up.  Create a strong password, such as "Xc8TRQ34vd", not "qwertyu".

Play with it some before you commit yourself to posting on the forum.  I haven't spent much time figuring out if there are shortcuts or whatever, so I'll just describe what I do.  From the Library page, look for the "Upload" button.

pb-1-1.jpg

From the Upload page, the simplest thing to do is drag n drop your images from your PC.  I always use the Desktop.  I'll put copies of the images I want right on the Desktop instead of searching for some other folder or the camera itself.

pb-2.jpg

Notice you can d'n'd' more than one image by pressing Ctrl or Shift.  We're on a relatively slow satellite connection, so it takes half a minute or so to upload a few shots.  You should get an animation showing progress, then a message saying something about "Success!"

Go back to your Library.  The new pictures should show up there in a few seconds.  If so, you've succeeded in the first major step of the process, which is uploading your data to Photobucket's servers.

So, how to successfully link the image to a Ratsun post?  Start a thread.  When I get to the point where I want to link a picture, I click the "Enter" button twice so that the cursor moves down one full line from the existing text. 

Wait, wait - you do know how to use tabs in your web browser, right?  If you're not using tabs, you gotta get with the program.  I'll have the Ratsun thread up in one tab, and my Photobucket Library up in another tab.  I need to be able to move smoothly from one to the other.  When I'm getting close to the place where I want to link an image, I'll go to the Photobucket Library tab and grab the IMG code.

pb-3.jpg

To do this, left-click on the IMG code text, which is directly under the red circle in this shot.  Clicking on IMG code highlights the actual image code.  See the text that's highlited in bright orange?  It goes on past the little tiny window.  That's the actual IMG code that you want.  It will allow you to link a picture to a Ratsun thread.  Right-click on the highlited code and left-click "Copy".  Your PC will save the code to the clipboard.

BTW, if you're using Windows there will be subtle differences from my screenshots.  Your highlited text will not be orange, for one thing.  We're using Ubuntu 12.04, not Windows.

Now you've made the next major step to success.  You have the actual img code saved to your clipboard.  Go back to your Ratsun thread.  Pick a place to link the image.  As I mentioned earlier, I always hit Enter twice so that I get a line separating the text from the image, and the cursor is to the extreme left.  Once you have the cursor in place, mouse up to the Link tool and click on it.

pb-4.jpg

You'll get a new window.  Paste the IMG code that you copied from Photobucket right into that URL window, then click "OK"

pb-5.jpg

Click Enter twice again, and you can start typing.  Your picture will not show up until you've submitted your post.  As long as you're still working on the post, you should see this:

pb-6.jpg

When you submit the post, the IMG code links should do their thing and import your images.  Congratulations! 

Constructive criticism is welcome; I usually miss something obvious when making a tutorial like this.

EDIT: Oh, perfect.  I spend all that time and I got those goofy little bits of code next to the pictures.  The universe laughs at me Ha Ha 

EDIT to the EDIT: The bits of code next to the images are gone, explained below.

• Like 6
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thanks, but I may have done something wrong.  Or there's a glitch in the way Photobucket and Ratsun talk to each other?  I noticed the links in that last screenshot have the http: code and the IMG: code.  I'm gonna try editing and see what happens.  I may not be able to change the links now...

WORKING WORKING

Yay, that did work.  I simply went into post #1 using the Edit button and deleted the http: references just above the images.  So, here I am already adding corrections to my tutorial.  Take a look at the last screenshot in post #1.  See the blue hyperlinks?  Take a close look.  There are actually two hyperlinks.  One is http:, and the second one is the IMG code that I actually want.  So I'm learning as I go. But the weird thing is I've been doing it exactly the same way since Day #1 and I seem to get different results. 

Here's a link to an IMG code that I made just like I've been doing every other time.  Except that I'm pasting it in as text instead of using the Link tool to create a hyperlink.  Even though I simply tossed the text onto the page instead of using the Link tool, the image shows up when posted to the forum.

pb-5.jpg

I'm 99% sure that if the link copy/pasted incorrectly for some reason that I can simply delete the http part.  The image shows up again although I did not use the Link tool. 

pb-5.jpg

I'm gonna try using the Link tool, then deleting the http parts once it shows up in the post, and see what happens.

pb-5.jpg

Well, OK, this is really getting strange. 

The first image in this post showed up as the image, even though I just copy/pasted the code into the message instead of using the Link tool. 

The second copy of the image was also just a simple copy/paste of the code into the message, but with the http language to the left and the right of the IMG code deleted, leaving only the IMG code.

The third copy was made using the Link tool.  Which I thought you had to use to get an image to display.  Apparently not.

On the one hand, I'm tempted to simply delete the entire post and admit I don't know what I'm doing.  Maybe it'd be best to see if a mod checks this out and can explain.

• Like 1

Nice article, but my photobucket page doesn't look anything like yours, I have no codes to pick from like in your post above, that looks like the old photobucket to me, 3 or likely 4 photos wide, maybe 16/20 photos per page, if I could get back to that type of setup, I would be very happy.

I found to post one photo at a time, I just click on the photo I want to publish, another page appears with a larger version of the photo, this photo has arrows in it that allow me to go forwards/backwards in the album to pick other photos, I just right click on the photo I want and copy the image, and then go to the thread reply and paste it there, it's easy, except it is one photo at a time.

• Like 1

Instead of IMG code I use Direct link (second one down) and the picture appears in my post immediately and I don't have to post to see it. This is handy for referring to while writing about the picture.

pb-3.jpg

I like where this post is going. Maybe we can fix it up and sticky it?

• Like 1

As I mentioned above, I don't copy links, I just copy the "photo" itself in my album, like mike did above with image to make his point, I don't have to do anything except copy the image/photo and paste, I have no need of link tools, the thing circled in the image below, I have never touched that tool before, just another step to confuse me, I have never used the "image icon" either, well maybe once last year when the first issues appeared with posting photos.

pb-4.jpg

This window below does not appear to me, I see nothing like this page below, I have tried to find it, but have been un-successful so far, I use google chrome, and have windowsXP.

pb-3.jpg

I don't know how to copy a whole photobucket page like you have done above from my photobucket acct.  itself, otherwise I would show how I do it step by step, I go to my album, left click on the photo, another larger image appears, right click on the image itself and copy, go to my reply and paste, simple, but one photo at a time.

• Like 1

everyone, thanks for the input. 

dtznmke, I'd be happy to build a better tutorial once I've seen a few more people post with their ideas.  I don't want to submit something that's out of date, or takes 5 steps to accomplish what can be done in one, or imparts inferior information.  Such as the Direct Link option.  About one week into signing up with Ratsun somebody said to use the IMG code so that's what I did and it seemed to work.

What I'd like to do if that's OK with you is wait and see if more good input comes along, then take another shot at this.

Also I need to study some of the Photobucket Help articles.

This forum doesn't have a practice area, where a guy can fumble around and make mistakes, does it?  I'll just use this first effort to see how badly I can mess things up, then a mod can kill it when Version 2.0 is ready.

wayno, I tried left-clicking on the photo from the Library.  Got a new window with a bigger image, and bigger links to the right of the image.  I left-clicked on IMG code or Direct Link (don't remember) and got a quick message that said "Copied".  Is that what you do?  Then you just paste that right into the body of your post?  That sounds easier than using the Link tool.

I can't explain why my version of Photobucket looks different than yours.  We're using Ubuntu and Firefox, but Photobucket is web-centric, not OS-centric, so my guess would be that shouldn't matter.  But I've been wrong before ;)

• Like 1

I have often used both types of code,whichever one works for where i'm posting the picture (Ratsun,or Facebook usually). I don't have a functional pc,I just use my smartphone,which I chose SPECIFICALLY because of it's camera quality. I would almost never take pictures if I had to remember to bring a camera with me everywhere I go. I ALWAYS have my phone with me though. The Photobucket app works well from my phone,although using my phone with Ratsun is kind of a pain in the ass. I often forget which code is for Ratsun,& which is for facebook. Your tutorial is great,but it would be good if someone could add a section, or post a different tutorial about how to get the best pictures for Ratsun postings using a smartphone.

• Like 1

Or just copy the Direct Link code from photobucket. Then click on the Image Icon (the little button that looks like a picture) and paste the code.

While experimenting a half hour ago I tried the Image tool.  The wheels spun for a few seconds, then I got a message that said something about I couldn't use that tool in this forum.  Or something like that.  But I was trying to paste an IMG code.  You know what, let me try it right now.

pb-4.jpg

OK, it worked.  That was left-click on the Photobucket picture to get the bigger image, then left-click on Direct Link.  I get a little flash of yellow right along the bottom of the Direct link (but not the "Copied" like before), then back to Ratsun.  Right-click on Image tool, paste the Direct Link.

Now I want to try what I believe wayno described, and maybe dtznmke too:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n564/Telkwa/pb-4.jpg

Left-click on Direct Link as above, then back to Ratsun, right-click and paste directly into the body of the message.  No Link tool and no Image tool.

EDIT:  OK, the second method didn't work for me.  At least not the way I did it...

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely!!! I have no problem with this at all. It would be nice to have a definitive FAQ for posting pictures. Lets do it.

I can always fire up a Windows PC and double-check the steps.  It would be pointless to describe specific steps in Linux if they aren't identical to Windows.

• Like 1

It would be good if someone could add a section, or post a different tutorial about how to get the best pictures for Ratsun postings using a smartphone.

Totally agree.  I'm a Linux enthusiast, so that puts me way out in left field.  And I don't own a cell phone, which is even weirder.  I'll do my best to create a comprehensible tutorial for Windows and traditional cameras, but someone else will have to take it from there.       

• Like 1

everyone, thanks for the input. 

dtznmke, I'd be happy to build a better tutorial once I've seen a few more people post with their ideas.  I don't want to submit something that's out of date, or takes 5 steps to accomplish what can be done in one, or imparts inferior information.  Such as the Direct Link option.  About one week into signing up with Ratsun somebody said to use the IMG code so that's what I did and it seemed to work.

What I'd like to do if that's OK with you is wait and see if more good input comes along, then take another shot at this.

Also I need to study some of the Photobucket Help articles.

This forum doesn't have a practice area, where a guy can fumble around and make mistakes, does it?  I'll just use this first effort to see how badly I can mess things up, then a mod can kill it when Version 2.0 is ready.

wayno, I tried left-clicking on the photo from the Library.  Got a new window with a bigger image, and bigger links to the right of the image.  I left-clicked on IMG code or Direct Link (don't remember) and got a quick message that said "Copied".  Is that what you do?  Then you just paste that right into the body of your post?  That sounds easier than using the Link tool.

I can't explain why my version of Photobucket looks different than yours.  We're using Ubuntu and Firefox, but Photobucket is web-centric, not OS-centric, so my guess would be that shouldn't matter.  But I've been wrong before ;)

Once I left click on the photo and get the bigger image, I right click on the image itself, and then pick "copy image", and then go to the body of my post and paste it there, yes it is simple.

It was not that easy back in JAN/FEB, it was a pain in the ass back then to post a photo.

• Like 1

I don't know how to copy a whole photobucket page like you have done above from my photobucket acct.  itself, otherwise I would show how I do it step by step, I go to my album, left click on the photo, another larger image appears, right click on the image itself and copy, go to my reply and paste, simple, but one photo at a time.

wayno, Ubuntu comes with an easy-to-use screenshot tool, but I tend to use GIMP to take screenshots just because that's what I'm used to.  I can take the screenshot, add circles or arrows or text, create the drop shadow, etc. all within GIMP.

I've got 2000+ posts at Ubuntu Forums, where I've posted hundreds of screenshots.  So I've kinda got yer basic screenie down to a science.  But Ubuntu Forums lets me insert directly into a post instead of having to use Photobucket, so that part of it is new to me.

GIMP is available for Windows too.  It's very powerful software.  People often compare it to the full version of Photoshop.  But GIMP is free. 

There are screenshot applications for Windows that are much simpler than GIMP.  I only use Windows when I have to, so I can't be much help there.

I'm gonna try your steps as you described them.  Here goes.

IMG_0189.jpg

Well dang, that was easy.  And I can see the image instead of just a blue hyperlink. 

In Photobucket, I clicked on the image like you said.  Right-clicked on the larger image that came up, Copy Image, back to Ratsun, right-click and Paste, done.  And that was with Ubuntu, not Windows, so the same steps work in either OS.

I usually use Firefox in Ubuntu.  Closed Firefox, started Chrome.  Photobucket looked the same to me - the library shows 4 pictures across, and when I click on one of them I get a larger version of the picture with the links listed to the right.

I got out of Linux & rebooted the PC into Vista.  Opened Chrome, went to Photobucket.  It still looks the same!  Why would Photobucket with Chrome & XP behave differently than Chrome and Vista or Chrome and Ubuntu?  Weird.  

• Like 1

Since day one I have also used the image icon, pasted the direct link from PB, and the image always just pops up between my text..

Quick n easy.

OK, I'm gonna try your method.

I left-clicked on the picture, left-clicked on Direct Link, got a little "Copied" message.  Back to Ratsun, click on Image tool, paste Direct Link in:

pb-5.jpg

Looks like that works too.  And I can see the image immediately, instead of just a hyperlink.

• Like 1

Instead of IMG code I use Direct link (second one down) and the picture appears in my post immediately and I don't have to post to see it. This is handy for referring to while writing about the picture.

OK, so Direct Link seems to be a better tool, but how exactly do you get it into the post?  wayno's method sounds similar to yours, but he doesn't use any of the Photobucket-generated hyperlinks, he just copies the image and pastes directly into the post.  When you use Direct Link, do you paste the code directly into your post?  Or do you use the Image (or Link) tools to plug the PB Direct Link into the post?  

This is getting interesting; there are several methods and most are easier than what I initially described.

• Like 1

Man, its pretty sad when all these threads for Photobucket are necessary. How to navigate, how to post pictures, why doesnt this work, why doesnt that work... 

Well there are home computers and hand held i phones/cel phones each may be different. Then there is Photobucket and other image hosts.

• Like 1

Man, its pretty sad when all these threads for Photobucket are necessary. How to navigate, how to post pictures, why doesnt this work, why doesnt that work... 

Thats why I dont use photo bucket.  My pic source, all I do is choose pic I want, right click, select copy image location, paste to ratsun, done

• Like 1

Which opens up a whole new can of worms.  Which is easiest/best?  Flickr?  Smugmug?  Picasa?  Slickpic?  The list goes on & on, but Photobucket shows up at or near the top in several online reviews for whatever that's worth

• Like 1

Thats why I dont use photo bucket.  My pic source, all I do is choose pic I want, right click, select copy image location, paste to ratsun, done

Who does your image hosting?  Although I gotta say your steps sound pretty much identical to wayno's on Photobucket...

• Like 1

Well there are home computers and hand held i phones/cel phones each may be different. Then there is Photobucket and other image hosts.

My comment was by no means an attack on any members... its not their fault posting and storing with PB is such a pain. My comment was in regards to how fucked up the PB is that it requires so many threads and discussions on posting photos. It shouldnt be that hard.

Who does your image hosting?  Although I gotta say your steps sound pretty much identical to wayno's on Photobucket...

It does, but the difference is the ease of the rest of the interface for the site. Personally I use Flickr and Ive never once had a problem with it. There are easily ten threads just on Ratsun about how much they hate Photobucket and how it works like shit. Then they always talk about having to adapt to the new updates that roll out and relearn the right way to post. Ive been using Flickr for something like 8 years now and with all updates Ive never had to readjust or do any work around to keep my workflow.

• Like 1

My comment was by no means an attack on any members... its not their fault posting and storing with PB is such a pain. My comment was in regards to how fucked up the PB is that it requires so many threads and discussions on posting photos. It shouldnt be that hard.

Yes, exactly. IF.... we all used PB then this might make more sense. IF we all used the same method, same thing. But everyone does it differently. I found my way by trial and error and simply stick with it because it works and is fast. There may be better ways I don't know. We still get people posting links or whatever the fuck that shit code is called. I'm on one forum where you can take the picture directly from your computer. As for PB the only grouch I have now is I can't find a picture as fast as I used to. You used to be able to load them all and scroll down through them. Now there are separate pages.
  • Like 1