whats it like out in cali?

Llittle_Llama

ok, just moved back home to TX from Alabama and WOW. i bought and sold and traded cars ALL the time there. was about 80 bucks to register a vehicle. then i came home and traded the 240 for a 2000 ranger XLT and had to get it inspected (15.50) insured (205.00 for 6 months) and registered (350.00!!!!!) then i had to get a TX DL (24.00) now i know the ins. is close to the same as you, cause it was about half theat in AL. , and i know the DL is about the same everywhere, and the inspection was only 15 bucks, but 350 for REGISTRATION?!? what do you guys pay out there? i know you have smog checks and i used to have those in FLA but they (finally) did away with them, but they were only like 25 dollars if i remember correctly. point is i was planning on selling the ranger after cleaning it up (i will post pics in a few on another thread) and selling it to make a few bones to put into the 620 (finally bagging it :eek: ) but after that much just to REG. it i dont think i will be able to let it go just yet.....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am kinda worried about getting the datto inspected right now too, i know its not like you guys, all they check are the basics, wipers tires horn, no CEL's, turn signals but the thing i dont have is a speedo......not too sure what imma do about that. im thinking borrow a GPS and tell them i use that, lol

yeah its expensive but cross the border and you can get 2 tacos for a buck sometimes even 3 plus dollar beer :) just leave your dattos behind a few miles from the border or be ready to come back to an empty parking space.. off topic sorry!!! yeah it cost me 60 for the other truck i had to get smog only cert and about 240 for new owner reg and with my 2 trucks i paid 55 for ins but everything is conveniently located thats the sweet part oh and the fact that here in san diego i can bodyboard with some good temp water (in summer) and about 35 mins on the 8 east i can be in the mountains but i do miss the rain

hawaii is pretty damn expensive as well. not sure what it costs to reg a car here tho, military get a form since we are out of state residents and only have to pay 20 bucks if memory serves right, but i think the registration goes by vehichle weight here.

Cars that are 1975 and up will get smogged. As far as renting an apartment, buying a house and looking for a job all THREE are hard to do since it's very expensive here, specially if you live in Silicon Valley or San Francisco area.

Don't worry about the cost of registering your car, worry about the rent!

rent here for a 2-3 bedroom is around 2k a month on average. Studios/high rise apartments are 1100 for the tiny ones. Houses with garages are 2k and up usually. Also most places you dont have any sort of yard. Im still looking for a place with a garage so the prices are pretty accurate.

California is the most expensive state to live in. :)

2eDeYe;88577'']...and the most regulated :)

yet its still the best............................................................................................................:fu:

reg $$ is based on the resale price, bring a reciept ;)

the 4runner is ~$78 annual (initial in 04 was ~$250), the sedan was $47 for 08

no annual inspections but biannual smog :cursing:

ins varies tremendously by zip code

hawaii is pretty damn expensive as well. not sure what it costs to reg a car here tho, military get a form since we are out of state residents and only have to pay 20 bucks if memory serves right, but i think the registration goes by vehichle weight here.

1. Yup. AUto reg is based on weigh and it ANNUALLY! Last time i paid for reg for my Integra ( :fu: ) it was $100+. Truck guys pay out the kulu.

2. We don't have smog, but we have safety check that is also annual. This is just a check to see that the car is physically road worthy.

3. RECON. If you're vehicle is modified in any way, you have to go thru recon inspection. I think its like the ref in CA. It fucking sucks. Most people just put up wit recon tickets becuz in most cases its hopeless to get.

....and thats just the automotive side of life. Oh and there isn't a age exemption. Dimes have to do the same shiet.

-Brian

Georgia is great for the cause. 1984 or older no title needed. no inspection except to verify the vin # and the it was about 25 bucks to register. i pay about 125 a month on insurance for 4 cars. so it is perfect except you can't find any old japanese cars! rednecks don't like jap stuff, they crush it! well if you try hard you can find anything, just expect a to pay about 500 dollers more than seattle. so if there are any really cheap "no title" dattos in other states send them to me! as long as they are not stolen!

yea, It sucks living in cali, I just did my 510 wagon cost me $140 bucks for california historic vehicle plates, The only reason it was so high was the p.o let it expire,no smog, no inspection, no bull shit . when my reg comes due next year it's $49.00 smackers. I have my 240Z & goon insured for $145.00 per year. Oh did I mention it's like 80 deg with great sunshine, Nice breeze. Think I'll cruz the goon down to the beach and Q up some burgers and watch the sun set. :D

it isn't really that bad, if you have an older or cheaper vehicle. reg. on my Datsun is $59, on the 2001 dodge I had, it was $457, but there are no other inspections after smog.

as a rule, I like to get vehicles pre-smog or diesel, so we don't have to pay the $59 +whatever it costs to tune it up.

I love california, I don't like very many californians. I'll be happy when I'm in Texas.

When I lived on Oahu, I rented a very nice 2 bed/2 bath apartment in Salt Lake with 2 parking spots in the basement garage for $850..

I had a 914 with a 6 cylinder swap - never did get recon on it in 6 years I was there..

3. RECON. If you're vehicle is modified in any way, you have to go thru recon inspection. I think its like the ref in CA. It fucking sucks. Most people just put up wit recon tickets becuz in most cases its hopeless to get.

....and thats just the automotive side of life. Oh and there isn't a age exemption. Dimes have to do the same shiet.

-Brian

I can't even count how many recon tickets i got.. FCKRCN

I had a big block chevelle with a blower, 3" exhaust, slammed to the ground, mini tubbed with 10" wide rear tires, dark tint.. etc. I still have my "fuck recon" pile of recon tickets. Somewhere around 50 of them over 6 years. In the Chevelle it was nearly every time I drove it. In the 914, only when I got pulled over. Recon was easily the thing I hated about Hawaii the most!

I had a friend that worked at Ron's that would give me my safety stickers. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have been able to drive either car there.

I almost bought a 620 truck that had a chopped top and 350 in it. I didn't buy it because it had something weird with the title because of the top chop and he said there was no way to register it in Hawaii..

When I lived on Oahu ('77-'89), it was a running toss-up as to which state was more expensive: Hawai'i or California. This was taxes, cost of living stuff, housing, etc, etc. Yeah, rent was ridiculous. I scored a cheap house up past Camp Smith for several years. By the time Debbie and I got married ('86), rent had gone loco to da max, so we bought a condo near Aloha Stadium.

It's not a ton cheaper in Washington, but no income taxes plus gas and electricity are lots cheaper than California.

Every place has its pluses and minuses.....

Edited by ppeters914

It isn't that bad to live here, If you have a career you should make a decent living out here.

I pay $49 anually for registration and $50 monthly on insuranse.

My friend got a ref ticket a month ago in his B14 sr20det, he swapped the original motor back on and went to the ref just to find out that there's no referee due to budget cut. Just had to pay a fine.