620 restore and modern update (daily driver)

skyshadow

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a place called Bud's.  I believe it was in OK.  That's where I got my motor from.  They had 3 620s last summer.  If you want to part out some of what you have, I could use your old water pump pulley!  Plus your motor should have a "peanut" head, and the Datsun logo valve covers sell for $50+.  Timing covers are always in need, and a lot of the other parts that convert to the L20b.  Its not junk.  Someone was also recently looking for a spare carb assembly.  

• Like 1

Find a place called Bud's.  I believe it was in OK.  That's where I got my motor from.  They had 3 620s last summer.  If you want to part out some of what you have, I could use your old water pump pulley!  Plus your motor should have a "peanut" head, and the Datsun logo valve covers sell for $50+.  Timing covers are always in need, and a lot of the other parts that convert to the L20b.  Its not junk.  Someone was also recently looking for a spare carb assembly.  

Thanks for the info. I could part it out no problem. Taking engines apart is always easier than assembly haa I'll pull the pump pulley and PM you

• Like 1

Couple months ago A&J salvage was advertising three 620's. They were in Denton, Ok which was like 8 or 9 hours one way for me so never went. One of them is even an early model like yours. If you do end up going let me know.

20150311_114253.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats!  If they have an original grille that's not broken, please let me know.  Looking for one with the "eyebrows" over the headlights, not the plain round holes.  Like the left one on Elkie's photo 2 posts up, not the one on the right.  I may be required to have one to be in the "Production class" for out race truck.  ???  Otherwise I'm willing to trade my newer style in perfect condition for someone else's original?  Sorry for the brief hijack.  

• Like 1

Tore the CA18 down this weekend. The new water pump, timing belt, trans filter... etc should be in by next weekend. Also fabbed a new floor board into the front driver's side floor. That was a bit of a chore. I wire brushed it down then POR15'd the area and the driver inner fender area. I know the directions say "at least 2 coats", but one seems good. Any word on how strict I should follow that? Also, has anyone use POR15 on the outer body panels? I have roof rust, rust where the upper and lower bed meet.. and such. Being that it claims to be sandable, figured it would be wise to prevent future rust. guess it's time to start a build thread on this truck. haa. 

• Like 1

Remove the rust of the roof.  Sand it down, then apply a towel wetted with Milkstone Remover from TSC or your local farm supply store - you must have plenty around you in cow country?  Its 50% phosphoric acid, so handle with care.  It will get you down to shiny steel.  Then paint.  POR15 over rust won't stop the rust from chewing away underneath.

• Like 1

DUUDE! Sebpv, I like how your truck is a replica of the forum icon car! Nice. 
With some help of Google, Isocyannates are reactants to nucleophiles. So Oxide from rust or water. Phosphoric acid is doing that as well, turning the Oxide into salt. 

Not sure what all the other stuff is doing... lol 

• Like 1

POR15 is basically a 2-part epoxy paint to seal in the rust.  Phosphoric acid dissolves rust and leaves nothing but a thin layer of corrosion resistance behind.  Its harmful to paint.  Its harmful to skin.  Its harmful to lungs.  Take all necessary precautions.  Neutralize the acid with dissolved baking soda before painting.  Keep it wet until all rust is gone (no presence of black pitting, etc...)  You will know when its clean.  Wire brushing and cleaning dirt and dissolved rust away speeds the process, as does heat.  If its 60 degrees or colder, adding heat from a halogen light will be a significant aid.  

• Like 1

I have a field find 1973 620. Originally in the "NEWB from Oklahoma" thread. I decided it needed a build thread. It was/is in pretty damn rough shape when I found it, I'm slowly bring it back to life. After I do that, I plan on making it more comfortable, techy, and smooth like a more modern car. I already have a CA18det with auto trans for it. I plan on lots of sound and heat deadening, power accessories and other normal modern car amenities. Here's some pics of it currently. 

dat620.jpg

20160217_171157_HDR.jpg

20160216_205503.jpg

20160216_182414.jpg

datfloor.jpg

• Like 2

I got a little accomplished yesterday. I drove 2hr out to that Bud's salvage in BFE Oklahoma. I was able to find a front bumper and the valance piece that goes with it. Also picked up some Xterra wheels for a steal. I was UNABLE to get a front driver side fender. Anyone know where/who I can get one of those from? 

Here are the wheels

20160225_145339.jpg

Also put a new glass in the passenger side, The original rail was messed up so I cleaned all the old rubber and glass out, epoxied a old bike tube into the rail then epoxied the glass to the bike tube. 

20160225_151816.jpg

Glass installed! 

20160225_172656.jpg

• Like 3