620 restore and modern update (daily driver)

skyshadow

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a thread discussing 620 rack and pinion swaps. Start your research there.

I am subscribed to that thread. Doesn't seem to be moving forward much. I've been watching it for about 2 mo or so. BUT I think I'm just going to measure the room I have to work with, find out what car model's rack would be the best fit and build my own little thing. 

• Like 1

WTF!!!!!!!!OK I don't get this one

You keep the stock harness and if it works then just leave it.

To hook up the modern CA18 if this is Fuel injected motor you just power this motor harness that you got with the car from the car with the box module.

Youll use the stock 620 ignition harness to turn on the relays they you add to power the engine harness fuel pump ect.....THIS IS THE EZist way.

to rewire the lights ful tank sender ect just don't make sense and be honest wont get done.YOU WILLL NOT FINNISH THIS just drive to scrapper know if the harness already has been Yank out .

look up KA wiring on here using a can-Am box.in the HOW TO section.

to remove the relays for the lights don't make sense. side markers ect........

stock harness plugged up?????

I agree with Hainz on this keep the stock 620 harness and add the CA18 harness to it incorporating Icehouse's CAN/AM POWER PRODUCTS easy wiring box.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/

Everything looks great but I just have a few fitment problems with the steering. Going to have to go rack and pinion. Miata set ups work? Also, the rubber bushings from the body mounts were shot. To my knowledge, there isnt a company that makes a replacement set, right? I just have to piece something together from a universal kit..? And of course, I still need a damn driver side fender. 

With this last pic, you can see how the turbo it right in the way of the original steering. You can also see one of the adapters I build to mount the CA18. 

20160320_225308.jpg

Use a 1984 to 1986 720 Front Frame clip.  This will do 3 things: 1 It will put you in to an outside frame rail steering box, 2 it will upgrade front brakes to vented rotor front disc brakes, 3 will give you the opportunity to do some better engine and transmission mounts.  Solid mount like you have will twist and break after a couple hard burn outs or if you run much boost.  Bad idea engine and trans need to be able to torque under hard acceleration and also when down shifting slowing vehicle without using brakes.

Solid mounts? Ouch. These things are already rough as is.

Charlie, I think, has a thread for body mounts.

Don't ruin your truck by scabbing solid mounts every where on the thing.

I have a drawing with part numbers of the mounts I used on my 520.

Cab%20Bushings.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the nissan parts for the bushings! I hoping the 520 uses the same size mounts..? 

I have a Can-Am box. Don't read too far into my wiring guys, I was simply stating I'm going to clean it up. 

I'll definitely look into the 720 frame clip

• Like 1

So I need some help. To be honest, me and some buddies removed the cab while under the influence. That being said, I have no recollection on how the body mount bushings stack back in (like in what order). So I went to the trusty FSM for help. It did help a lot aside from mount 2. It shows two diagrams. Is that passenger and driver? Or two different model types? 

Screenshot%202016-03-22%20at%2012.49.40%

• Like 1

Take your time on the wiring and make understandable notes as you go.  Wiring is time consuming.  The notes will help you in the future to trouble shoot any problems.

Please do not drink or consume any mind altering substances while working on the wiring.  This could lead to letting out the smoke that is contained in all wiring. LOL

• Like 2

Thanks for the nissan parts for the bushings! I hoping the 520 uses the same size mounts..? 

I have a Can-Am box. Don't read too far into my wiring guys, I was simply stating I'm going to clean it up. 

I'll definitely look into the 720 frame clip

These are the bushing I am using on my 520.  They lift the cab a 1/4" to 1/2" depending on how you tighten and if you use the stock shoulder bolts.

These are a mixture of 620 and 720 bushings as the 520 &521 bushing are no longer available.

I purchased these bushings about 5 years ago so prices have probably changed.

• Like 1

Please do not drink or consume any mind altering substances while working on the wiring.  This could lead to letting out the smoke that is contained in all wiring. LOL

This is sound advice. I will stay sober for all wiring. Not that sober me is much better at things then drunk me though.. 

• Like 1

just some fyi they do make repop cab mounts now 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SET-CABIN-CAB-MOUNTING-FIT-FOR-DATSUN-620-/151223086226?hash=item2335992c92:g:usQAAOSwt6ZWUbp1&vxp=mtr

The ones I bought had part numbers on them,but were wrong so u need to go off visual.

Awesome! In cart!

than* Don't drunk post either.

So many rules with you guys! 

This forum sponsored by D.A.R.E.? 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...