Need advice from the 620 gurus about suspension in this photo!

Kytoaster

Ok, I got my 620 and SWORE I would leave it as stock as possible.

Well...I lied to myself. 

All the bouncy bits need to be replaced anyway, so I figured I would lower it a little. Before I got the 620, I daily drove a 2nd gen scion xb that was about an inch off the ground, so lowered vehicles aren't really anything new to me.

That said....lowered TRUCKS are a bit of a different animal. I'm used to adjustable coilovers all around, so I can adjust for that perfect height, but with blocks in the rear, if you get it wrong, you're kind of screwed.

My question is, how much of a drop does it look like this 620 has in the rear? I don't THINK it's anything too dramatic, if it's just the standard drop from blocks, I will be VERY excited, as I will be able to get the height I want easily!

1RzvJlb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be bouncy because the front end has almost no suspension travel and is likely sitting on the rubber bump stops. Without suspension movement the shock absorbers don't/can't work and it's the air in the tires that you're bouncing on. Like a beach ball. Try running the minimum air pressure in the tires but don't run less that that. Otherwise you're stuck with the ride quality.

• Like 1

Looks like you can see the lowering block in the picture. Another thing is the axle hitting the frame on severely lowered trucks. This happens when the axle lifts suddenly going over a hump like a speed bump. There are rubber stops but again some are removed or cut for additional clearance and the tire becomes the suspension..

• Like 1

This isn't low at all.

I'd guarantee its only a 3" block. The 15" chevy Rallye wheel and taller tire makes it look low .. But it's not.

I run 3" blocks and 720 4x4 leaves. That is 'almost' really low. Looks low with my 14" wheels and 185/60 tires

• Like 1

Even with my setup, I rarely hit the axle.... If anything the exhaust is more of a problem than the axle.

And one thing nobody ever mentions is the torsion bar hangers. Those bend extremely easy when you're lowered and hit speed bumps.

• Like 1

Kytoaster, you own a tape measure right?  Why don't you just measure from the rear fender lip on your truck down to the top of the tire?  Then you can replicate what you see in the photo with a matching lowering block.  3" is no big deal.  At 4",  lowering the front to match will run into issues with the tires rubbing the toe boards and inner fenders.  My truck has the toe boards and inner wheel arches severely modified, plus custom front wheels with a different offset to clear the stock fenders (Bonneville/SCTA Production class rules).  I only have 1 1/2" of ground clearance at the front crossmember, with bump stops to prevent it from dropping below ground level in case of a flat tire.  Drop spindles help to reduce the alignment issues inherent to lowering.  Aftermarket adjustable control arms and raising the point where the control arms bolt to the frame also help.  

• Like 1

I too think it is lower then 3" in the back. A picture of the spring pack would help and a picture that shows the frame to housing gap. Also the exhaust exiting in front of the rear end is a easy way of solving the exhaust clearense problem.

Good point. I never thought about exhaust clearance issues...

Welp, luckily I've got a bunch of spare resonators in the garage to fab something up!!