question on swapping in a 2001-2004 pathfinder's 3.5vqde?

poopypants720

KA swap straight from d21. T100 is a pretty robust tcase, should hold up fine. D21 2wd trans would be better, simply because it's the next version of the trans and is stronger. You could use the 720 trans though. Single cam ka has some head gasket issues though no where near as much, dual cam ka doesn't seem to have that issue.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transfer case should be OK with a KA.  They used them in 6-cyl Patrols in the 80s.  They're known for being pretty strong for their size.

71B trans is marginal, better to go with a 71C.  I've grenaded 2 71Bs in my 620 4X4 and that's with a pretty stock L20B (and one in my 2WD Z24 720).  It's the torque that does 'em in, as they hold up fine in a NA 280ZX with a lot more HP (but not normally the load a truck has).

• Like 1

running back through the thread... Started taking off between my own posts and trying to play board games with the family....

Btw, thanks for all the great input guys...

What's the most applicable KA swap from(for emissions/smog proposes) and is the ka block/head void of the head gasket issues the Z blocks/heads seem to have?

What's the best hp rating one could expect from the KA?

As for power the chioce is up to you. Factory is 140-155 HP and 150-160 TQ depending on the year.

Just glance through here.

running back through the thread... Started taking off between my own posts and trying to play board games with the family....

Btw, thanks for all the great input guys...

What's the most applicable KA swap from(for emissions/smog proposes) and is the ka block/head void of the head gasket issues the Z blocks/heads seem to have?

What's the best hp rating one could expect from the KA?

Here are some eye opening graphs. Just pick and click on the blue links for the dyno sheet. Generally a KA-E makes about 140 RWHP and a KA-DE about 10 more HP.  No two dynos are the same so take the lowest reading for two similar engines.

http://www.datsuns.com/tech/datsundyno.htm

A level torque line indicates the engine is doubling it's HP as RPM doubles.

HP and torque are always the same at 5,252 RPMs

A long flat torque line is preferable to a long flat HP line.

Remember the part in the rules that states new engine can not degrade emissions performance. Meaning your new engine of choice must run as clean or cleaner than regs for your year and model, not sure if a new v6 runs cleaner than the old 4cyl but its a potential sticking point.

I'm getting ready to bring home my first 720 4X4 here pretty quick. It needs an engine swap. Current one was reported as a smoker. I am planning on doing a single cam KA. I have always heard great thing about they way they fit and function in these trucks. Reliability is good to. I want that in something I am going to take hunting and wheelin with the family. It has been done plenty of times and the information is aaaaaaalllllllllllll out there. Hell, there are a LOT of guys here running single cams in thier rigs. And a lot of those are willing to help. There are a couple of guys here locally that I am going to ask help from. They have both done the swap several times. I know when its done, it will be officially DONE!

In the D21 Hardbody the H-190 was only used with the 2wd 4 cylinder.

In the WD21 Pathfinder the 4 cylinder (Z24) used a C-200 rear and a R-200 front diff. After '89 VG30s were used with H-233s

In the D-21 Hardbody the 4x4 Z24 was a C-200 but the KA engines used the H-233.

You can use a transmission longer than the 720 . The one between the trans and trans case is about 6" long

You cannot install an older year engine. You can install a same year or newer engine but it must have all the emissions equipment in and working.

C V T transmissions SUCK. It's like driving with a slipping clutch. Forget this right now. It's bad enough to be an automatic, but if you have the power it should rubber during shifting

Thanks for this info Mike. 

imgur user "Vqbreh" did a VQ swap into a 240sx, maybe you can message him to see how he did it?

It has been done a lot of times.  The main issue here is California.  To do it here and be able to actually drive (register) the vehicle, is that it has to maintain all original emissions components, and in CA everything is pretty much an emissions component :P  This is why prices of classic vehicles nosedive at 1976 in CA...smog kicks in, making them a pain to modify and maintain.

It has been done a lot of times.  The main issue here is California.  To do it here and be able to actually drive (register) the vehicle, is that it has to maintain all original emissions components, and in CA everything is pretty much an emissions component :P  This is why prices of classic vehicles nosedive at 1976 in CA...smog kicks in, making them a pain to modify and maintain.

Ahh... well that sounds like a pain in the arse. =/

Thanks again for the info guys!

I think I'm going to wind up doing two things...

First

Gonna get a Toyota 4runner circa '96-'99 with the 4x4 e locker n do some mild lift for my camping/wheeling needs.

Second

Gonna get a KA(undecided on sohc or dohc) and give the 720 a heart transplant only n keep it alive. Should be easy enough to smog and the swap much cheaper in the end... I've been lucky enough so far having with having no trans issues, but if it goes after the swap, I'll address that issue when I come to it.

I do need to break down the t100 however and redo the seals, it leaks gear oil like crazy... Anything I should pay attention to once I have it open? Anything else to change as a precautionary measure?

Also... I'm in an '81 and cv's are nigh impossible to come by... Any help in this arena?

Mike, know much about the drop on the d21 r200? Is it the same side as the '81? What about the spline count on the end of the cv and overall width? Is there any EASY way to put that front axle into an '81 so I can upgrade the front diff and move to newer/more available cv's?

Mmmmm... That's a somewhat money idea, but idk how the dmv and smog chassis/frame/engine rules play out in that case... Also, wouldn't mind having the extra cab space of a pathfinder...

Would be cool to have the 5 link coil suspension underneath a 720 though...

Gotta research the logistics of it all n see if it's even legally feasible, if so, gotta hit a junk yard n start measuring clearances and whatnot...

With the smogging thing, how is it not legal to swap to a more efficient cleaner burning drivetrain?

If you want the pathfinder drivetrain bodyswap onto a pathfinder chasis.