Engine problems

720driver97

Got my z24 put in my truck yesturday after I rebuilt it and now I'm having problems, first problem is it won't turn over properly it will turn for a bit then stop for no reason then turn again what would cause this? Then for some reason my tail lights stay on as long as the battery is hooked up not sure why,

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did the truck sit without an Engine?

With enough time, your fuel can turn into a mucky goop of turpentine. If it sat for more than 8 months, replace; Fuel tank, fuel lines, and, if you can afford it, replace the carb with a weber.

• Like 1

I am resurrecting a 1985 720 st that sat for over 20 years.  I pulled the tank and had it hot tanked at the radiator shop I have used since the 70s.  I replace the fuel pump and  filters.  I have started and ran the truck from a gas can.  The tank came back looking new.

• Like 1

Got my z24 put in my truck yesturday after I rebuilt it and now I'm having problems, first problem is it won't turn over properly it will turn for a bit then stop for no reason then turn again what would cause this? Then for some reason my tail lights stay on as long as the battery is hooked up not sure why,

The tailights staying on is an easy fix if you havent done it yet. It should just be the brake light switch, it may have broken or is just too old to function now, theyre about $10 at napa.

Now I'm having problems getting the carb adjusted properly it will run at high RPM but when I try to let it idle it will kind of spit and sputter gas out the top of the carb then kill quickly, any ideas on the problem here?

You may just need to turn the idle speed screw up.

Possibly the idle circuit is plugged or the idle cut solenoid is not connected.

Listen near the carb while someone turns ignition on off on off... you should hear a soft click if the solenoid is working.

Carefully remove the idle cut solenoid. It has a small spring and a loose part that can get away and be lost so be ready. Unscrew the idle mixture screw, counting the turns so it can be put back in the same setting. Same thing, it has loose parts that can get lost. Use a can of carb spray with the red straw and spray alternately into the idle cut solenoid and the idle mixture holes. Have a care, that spray will shoot out and can get in your eyes. This should disolve or flush out any clogs..

• Like 2

720driver97, excess fuel always allows more cooling than a lean burn. Having a lean mixture will always give you better combustion, (and horsepower,) but your engine won't put up with it forever. You'll end up burning up the pistons or the top ring because of higher friction.