Test temp sensor.

Motschrocker

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take a ohmmeter, and check the resistance of the sender.  I do not know where, but I am pretty sure there is a chart comparing temperature, and resistance, the sender should have.

Or you can just replace it.  I think Datsun used a not common thread on the temp sender.  You may need to get another Nissan sender.   There is a pretty good possibility it is probably still available for an Nissan dealer.

The sender is just a variable short to ground.  It is possible the electrical connection between the sender and the thermostat housing is not being made, or the wire and terminal on the sender are not electrically connected.

• Like 1

Today i tested the post the wire for the temp sender was conncted to and there was no power to it. I connected the wires to a post with power and when i turn the key on the temp gauge goes to zero. When i turn the key off the needle jumps up to what the temp probably is. Im not good with electrical but does this still sound like a ground issue?

Do not touch the wire to a 12 volt source! It has it's own 8 volt regulated source and this might damage it.

There won't be any power on the temp sender post. (well none with the wire off).

Here's the direction of power flow...

+battery... ignition switch... fuse box.... temp gauge volt regulator.... temp gauge.... temp sender.... ground. - side of battery

You  already touched the sender wire to the thermostat housing and got a full HOT reading so the gauge is good and so was the power to it and the ground is working... at least the thermostat is grounded. To get a reading the temp sender varies the ground. As the engine warms up the resistance to ground lowers and more current flows causing the needle to go higher.

• Like 1

In my experience [maintaining my RL411 for 48 years]  the sensor is a common part number.  The main difference is the SAE or Metric thread on the for a better word "collar" that holds the sensor into the head or thermostat housing.  So, get a replacement unit, don't screw up the existing collar when you remove it, dump whatever collar came with the replacement and reuse your existing old collar.  At least you know it is correct for the existing installation.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too familiar with the roadster parts, but that does not look like an OEM sender. The L series senders (as well as A series and other Nissan) have a removable metric sleeve that has threads on it and fasten it to the engine. If that one is aftermarket, it could be the reason your gauge is not reading properly. Improper compatibility.

EDIT - you did say L18 right? Then that sender is positively not the right one.

• 4 months later...

I am going to revive this thread.  It is almost spring and I am looking forward to driving my car.  I still need to get my temp gauge working.  I ordered a temp sender from rockauto, but it is not correct.  As you can see in the pics above the sending unit is not original.  I am not sure what my best option will be.  Maybe I should just replace the whole thermostat housing? Mine currently has a water outlet, do I need to get the same.  I also saw a thread where someone took the top housing off of a mazda 323 and wired the temp sender off of that. Maybe that would be an affordable option?

not sure if the images above are still viewable, but the sending unit is different than others I have seen online.  It does not have a detachable collar.  It screws right into the housing. maybe the previous own modified the lower section of the housing to fit another sending unit?

Looking at the one pic of the housing, it appears to be the correct housing for an L, you can see the steel collar everybody is talking about. Looks like somebody tapped the steel collar to thread in the different sensor. The piece of white plastic behind the collar doesn't belong there. Its probably all jacked up. Best bet is to get a new/used housing with the correct sensor instead of jerry-rigging it.

That is what I was thinking.  My set up currently has the water outlet.  Do I absolutely need this.  I see on ebay right now they have a whole set up with sending unit, but with no water outlet.  Unless someone knows another place I can get a thermostat housing?

Are you saying your lower thermostat housing has two ports?  One for the sender and one for the coolant bypass?  Its hard to tell in the photo what you have.  I think I see the hard line for the heated intake manifold.  Ive never personally messed with an L18.  My L16 had not coolant bypass.  Others delete it and drill some extra weep holes in the thermostat to get water to flow to get rid of the stagnant water.

Can you get some more pics of what you have?   Whats up with the stack of washers on the exhaust manifold?