My Dad passed away yesterday.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all so much for the kindness and loving thoughts, these past few days have been very difficult, couldn't eat nor sleep properly, my dad is watching over us, I already felt his presence and so has my mom, siblings, uncle's and grandma, I have so much love coming from family and friends, thank you all for the support.

Diego.

• Like 5

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Dad in 2012. But a little different than yours. He suffered for 7 years. Just be glad you have fond memories of your pop. Sounds like you really loved your dad.

It will get better trust me. One day at a time bro.

• Like 2

I understand what you're going through. Lost my mom suddenly in August '08. I talked to her at 9:00pm. Got a call from the friend she was staying with at 2:00 am saying she was gone. She was 49.

Like everyone has said, time will make it better. No ones healing process is the same. Eventually the memory of him passing will fade and you will be able to remember the good times more vividly.

Any man can be a father but it takes a real man to be a dad. By how you feel about him it looks like you had a damn good dad. Keep your head up and I'll be praying for you and your family.

• Like 2

I last talked to my mom in early '91 during a disagreement, she was a very strong willed woman. I left and moved thousands of miles away and never called them. Every year or two I would call my brother and see how they were doing. Eight years later and three years after my last call I again phoned him to find my mom passed away. Ten minutes later I had called my dad and that summer drove out to visit and continued to visit nearly every year. I called him every weekend thereafter even if only to talk about the weather. I enjoyed and learned more about him than I had during all those earlier years. When visiting we talked and talked on and on about the 'old days' and took walks every morning before it got too hot. Once a week we went shopping together and one evening a week we went out for supper at his favorite cafe. I left $20 with the owner to pay for the next time he went when I had gone home. It was all good building those memories.

I lost my dad in '09. Talked to him on the phone to Ontario Friday night. He had been in the hospital and had been moved to a hospice. He had trouble talking and me understanding him so I said I would call back on the weekend. My brother called Sat evening with the news. He was 89. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you, brother, today is the 2 weeks mark since that day, it's been a trip to say the least dealing with the mood swings and everything else that comes with said tragedies...I'm hanging tight with good support from both family and friends, my sleep schedule is still wacky but getting better day to day, believe it or not this community has been great therapy, just by reading these boards has provided good support, I've always been a person who feeds off of other people's good vibes and this community is excellent!

Again, thank you all!

• Like 4

So sorry for your loss. Y'all (family) have to pull together and get each other through this tough time. Thats a hard blow as he was so young. Try to focus on the kids and grandkids....life goes on, and make each day the best it can be.

• Like 1

Good to hear you'er on the mend Bro. 

My wife is visiting her family back East, and while there her father suddenly passed way in his sleep just yesterday. She is wrapped with grief, but with her family. He was a good man too, PhD in Philosophy from Brown University and spent his time writing grant proposals for non-profits and up to his neck in local politics. The big fish in a small pond kind of guy, always fighting for the underdog. He made a difference though.

May you and my wife be at peace soon. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My personal prayers and condolences go out to all the grieving. I've had a strong feeling this year was gonna be different from the rest. About two weeks from your loss Diego, my dad, born the same year, and viewed by me personally, friends and family the same way, suffered a severe stroke that has left his whole right side paralized. He's been the same to me as yours- as my friend, hero, etc... I try to spend as much time with him as he has with me all his life. He's been non-respondant, on a ventilator- had a traecaeoctomy, and in bed, not able to get up since the stroke. My prayers go out to all of us- we're all human beings, we all hurt and can feel eachothers' pains.

My personal prayers and condolences go out to all the grieving. I've had a strong feeling this year was gonna be different from the rest. About two weeks from your loss Diego, my dad, born the same year, and viewed by me personally, friends and family the same way, suffered a severe stroke that has left his whole right side paralized. He's been the same to me as yours- as my friend, hero, etc... I try to spend as much time with him as he has with me all his life. He's been non-respondant, on a ventilator- had a traecaeoctomy, and in bed, not able to get up since the stroke. My prayers go out to all of us- we're all human beings, we all hurt and can feel eachothers' pains.

Shit man, that's a tough place. I give you my sympathy. Supporting him with your love is all a father could ask.

• Like 2

Shit man, that's a tough place. I give you my sympathy. Supporting him with your love is all a father could ask.

Thanks, Para... I believe he knows in his heart, even though he can't speak, that he will be getting lots of love and support from his entire family. We're a good size fam., so when one can't be there, there are others already there with him. But it's all part of life- if we have received the good, why can't we accept and handle the bad? :)

Thanks man, that's a rough one you and your family are going through, stay strong, my prayers go out to you, it's almost been six weeks since pops passed and every morning I wake up I for a split second believe it was a very bad nightmare to only realize it is reality, I cannot believe it yet, I imagine you and your family are going through the same emotions, stay strong bud, miracles do happen, pray every day for him!

I read this thread several hours ago. I got up and took my daughters to the fair. Can't call my pops. He's in Africa. But I can step up to the plate as father. In hopes that my kids remember me the way you remember your father. Positively. Thanks. Hope you are healing.

• Like 4