Monster NL320 4x4 Build

Wiring is all done and ran where needed, front turn signals in..

Next is to grab up a GM 3-wire alt, mount taillight housings, doors, and tailgate.

I put on my newer 31" wheels, I perfer the 10.5" width similar to the tall and slender military style tires.

IMG_20180824_173006.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As it sits currently, no driving issues, although not a daily due to being winter I dont have wiper linkages nor doors yet.

This list helps me keep track reciting it too, 3yo twins and the older ones come out and help, pretty much on the final stage:

Need to finish up small things like enclose fender wells in engine bay, plexi back window, finalize mounting for 2 forklift LPG tanks, attached original bumpers, add addition supporting brush guards, Exo-cage, wipers/washer, mount old iPhone 3GS as my dash (GPS, Altimeter, Inclinometer, Music, apps, etc...)

IMG_20180924_181444.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't look like much but im using all my scrap and leftover parts to get this finished, had some sheet metal and Daihatsu Charade motor skid plates from my old car to fill in floor.

After this I will mount remote battery box and then the seat.

Next will be some doors and bed cover.IMG-20181104-154831.jpg

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Will post pics soon, found some NL doors and installed them, welded on a ladder rack the hard way, shaved the doors, need 1 wing glass and channel felt.

All is going well as planned, have a front push bumper ready to weld on and a rear I havent decided yet on how I want it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought of getting a 64-65 wide grill for the lower one.

I"m just using spare parts from other projects, litterally trying to stay ratty on it.

I have the original frame you can kinda see on the right background.

I will be sanding it down, beefing it up, powdercoating it and laying it back in on original parts some time later after my fun.

I'm leaving the newer firewall in cause I like the tilt wheel and new parts bolt in solidly. 

It runs on propane, drives good, will be moving up to be with family in Oregon soon, might need a half-way house for us to stay in up there while we awaiting on buying our house in OR, Go Ducks!!!

• Like 1

The reason I said another 63 grill is because it is the same and the turn signals are not part of the grill, the 64/65 grills are wider and have the signals in the grill and I believe that would look weird.

If I knew how to copy and paste the photo of the grill I would, others on here know how to do that, but I don't.

I would not spend a cent on making it original till I knew I had access to every part needed, these early trucks are a bitch to get parts for, it took you years to find them doors.

• Like 2

Thats my plan, I have pretty much the major items in boxes still, plus some ideas to upgrade to a mustang II front end and keep the toyota 8" rear axle as its the Ford 9" of Japan.

Its hard to do much more to it now, prepping for the move and all..... looking for a spot with min 1/2 acre... family in Bend has 40 acres for horse boarding.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Glad to see  you back - I started my project while you were on hiatus so just learned about your neat truck.

5-1.jpg.ee7ad2acd53743518516f3a5245cf534.jpg

I have a VG33 swapped 1972 510 wagon that I am almost complete with. All the heavy lifting is done, now just have some spiffying up to do and cosmetic details.

IMG_1405-1.jpg.c5dcde7c2aba7bfaba98ae523897c27d.jpg

Project page has lots of pics of the process - '72 510 Goon - Provo - because it will be a test

Look forward to seeing more of your project.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 9:11 PM, rosso said:

Glad to see  you back - I started my project while you were on hiatus so just learned about your neat truck.

5-1.jpg.ee7ad2acd53743518516f3a5245cf534.jpg

I have a VG33 swapped 1972 510 wagon that I am almost complete with. All the heavy lifting is done, now just have some spiffying up to do and cosmetic details.

IMG_1405-1.jpg.c5dcde7c2aba7bfaba98ae523897c27d.jpg

Project page has lots of pics of the process - '72 510 Goon - Provo - because it will be a test

Look forward to seeing more of your project.

Cheers

Thats a great looking waggy with the VG33, would love to see your build thread if you have one posted?

Love being in a small town again in the mountains.

I will be working on it soon, just need a few things like the NL back glass and a few other items.

• 2 years later...

Update: 320 truck is in garage and son is now almost 15yo which it is going to be his.  Its not forgotten as we gather the collected parts for it from our move.  Also did a full rebuild of a 4x4 Ranger truck next to it in the bay.   

We have a 75 620 that runs/drives and will be for sale soon, he is a bit attached to it so it will be tough.

Visited some threads from the builds and really seen nice units.... sometimes wish I live in QLD for the V320s.

• Like 1