Monster NL320 4x4 Build

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to leave it rat-looking, dont want a trailer queen, it will be driven everyday and on the trail for a couple weekend trips up Fordyce/Cisco Grove area trails.

Thanks everyone for helping find some of my parts back, when I sold my original I was at a bad time of our life financially.

• Like 1

Put on the 33's and timed the distributor, just need a starter and will test fire the motor. Its not Nissan so I wont go into much details on it, its the best choice for this swap cause used, new, and aftermarket sources are plentiful and cheap.

After its all tuned and buttoned up, will weld on the front pieces again for stock hood latch.

Have a good day all, will update as I get more done.

20170826_171801.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Update... working on the tailgate linkages getting unfrozen and transferred to the clean/straight NL gate that doesnt have any latches, linkages, or handle.

Also may have a good deal on a '70 R16 + 5spd setup to drop into stock frame later after I get my door situation panned out.

Atleast thats 1 step closer to going back to stock frame.

20170906_180211.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently holding off on it till kids soccer season is done (6yo & 8yo), by middle of this month as its 3 days a week plus Saturday games.

Building up parts as I see them, some aren't Datsun (22R motor).

Keeping eyes peeled on L320 and NL320 doors for barter.

• Like 1

I still have L320 doors, what’s your barter offer?

I would grab them up, but I must start with ones that have glass and operate.  

If someone had a set of NL320 doors Id give them:

- NL320 Cab Corner Perfect Pair

- 320 Front Turn Signal Pair round with buckets and Lens OEM

- NL320 Fuel Door + Filler Neck

- NL320 Taillight Bezel 1 Only

- 320 Column Mount turn signal

- 320 Headlight Bucket pair

- 320 interior handles

- Full 320 Emblem set From Hood Trim and D fenders and Tailgate

- NL320 Side Trim Set (Possible)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing major to update, rainy season for Sacramento so I popped in the old spare bad windshield and sealed up the cowl vents, its under my huge side patio but few shingles are bad and drips water in places.

Building a motor test stand for the Winter :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent 3 days, about an hour each with my twin 2yo boys on the truck, come to find out my points condenser was open, not starting.

Pulled dizzy out and set dwell/gap on points just to be sure and swapped condenser with spare and barely tapped starter fired right up for few seconds.

No video yet, have to mount radiator and a fuel supply next and run it longer to make sure everything is kosher before assembling the rest of the front.

Progress is a good thing, the motor was the bump in the road as of yesterday.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Some updates: new power steering pump, mount ps res, fab mount for propane mixer, relocated hood release rod, stainless rad hoses.

Planning next for grill mounts, bumper mounts, tailgate bolt up, and wiring for signals.

IMG_20180429_163132.jpg

IMG_20180429_160058.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

This weekend I put in a 180deg failsafe thermostat, installed new power steering lines, hooked up the propane lines again and ran it for a few.

It is now assembly time and paint prep: grill, lights, trim, bumpers, tailgate, custom suicide doors.

No new pics, it will look the same as above till I do finish more.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried the two stage Supra thermostat?  it has two valves in it. One tiny one that opens sooner and one large one that opens at the usual high temp. They help on a trail rig for sure. I run one in my 22RE powered Rover.

I will be running one of those 2-stage t-stats, most of this stuff I had laying around as spares and taped it together to work with what I want.  Its like new still so I used it, but this is mainly all just so I can get it on the road without falling into pieces.

Not going to trail-ready for a bit longer, but will be road worthy.

Have to run the dual radiator fans to relays, and possibly an old 12V PWM module I created for them to be adjustable speeds.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that I have driven it around a short distance and it isnt street legal yet, but will be coming together fast (Front turn signals, taillamps, tailgate/license plate, and all the wiring).

I have the stock NL bumpers, may put them aside and fab up tube style protector ones.

Might fab up a rear cage to install some back seats, has to be enclosed for Cali law to allow rear seats.

• Like 3

Today, I hope to have some time to finish the 3 gauge install (Temp, Volt, Oil).

Then to wire up the dual fans with switches for now, but I want to do adjustable temp fan controllers later on.

If I get that done then I have some piece of mind.

Crime Rate:

For North Highlands, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rapemurderand non-negligent manslaughterarmed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.
  • Like 2