carb

djwarp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well idk what's really wrong with the truck it self I'm trying to figure out why it don't start after I changed the plugs and wires it didn't want to start no more I changed the distributor rotor the cap seems good I'm trying to narrow it down to why it doesn't want to start

• Like 1

Keep the weber, it's a way better carb for your engine than 720 carb.

If you changed the plugs and wires, you likely messed up the wires, the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2, counter clockwise, that is COUNTER CLOCKWISE, most that have this issue put them on clockwise. and it will not run anymore, I am a big fan of replacing wires one at a time.

• Like 3

Can you post a video of it cranking so we can help you figures out what's it doing. Do you even get a sputter or just crank crank crank. And if so first things first check for spark, pull the distributor wire and crank and check for spark. Do you have fuel you be surprised even the best of us has fallen for that, are you getting fuel at the carb. Help us help you.

• Like 1

I look at where the wire goes down, but if the numbers on the wires go to the plug they are labeled as, then it looks semi close for an L16.

I was looking at how the wires went down after the clip on the valve cover, it looks like 1 is going to 2, and 2 to 1.

My distributor is turned a little more clock wise, my engine is an L20b, my #1 post is at 4 O'clock, on an L16 that would be about 10 O'clock, he is at 9 O'clock.

It would be easy if I were there, run it to TDC, check the rotor position to make sure it pointed right at the #1 post, button it up and start it.

BTW, it looks like 9 O'clock to me(maybe 9:15), it looks straight forward to me, something is wrong, it ran before the tune up. :(

No look again number 1 is at 1000 clock and 3 4 2 going couter clock wise and again I'm judging buying it's path over the valve cover..

• Like 1

well if you changed SOEMTHING then I don't start it don't take no GED to figure this out.

Most times you did something wrong. Fire order of the wires looks right. I assume you replaced 1 wire at a time.

If points or condenser was swapped this is most likely it.

Take the center wire from the cap and place near ground and start the truck if it sparks then most like its OK then maybe your fire order is correct but started at the wrong spot.

If NO spark ck the points for the correct gap. something is grounding out

SIMPLE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS do not change anything else. No new Coils that are size of suitcases ect.... only leads to trouble unless you know which is the correct one to install.

• Like 1

The wires have current going thru I shocked my self when Some one else turned it on I have replaced the distributor rotor the cap looks fine idk if it might be timing or not when I try to turn the truck on it sounds like it wants to start but it won't I recently checked the fuel filter and looks like it's dry on it I'm not sure if it's because I haven't had it running for like 2 weeks

• Like 1

most fuel filter look half full.

did distributor get turn in one direction more.

one can or a lttle gas down the carb.

unless you put the 2nd set poin wire up the the main set point wire.

main set it blk red I think on 521s

bur relloking at your dist look maybe you have a matchbox ignition on there.Or a Pertronix conversion

soem better photos would help. as a 521 has a L16 motor and I see a sawtooth timming plate on right side front cover which to me indicates a L20 motor and or parts