carb

djwarp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well idk what's really wrong with the truck it self I'm trying to figure out why it don't start after I changed the plugs and wires it didn't want to start no more I changed the distributor rotor the cap seems good I'm trying to narrow it down to why it doesn't want to start

You have an EI distributor AKA as a matchbox. There are no points to mess with. If you only changed the cap, wires, plugs and rotor then the wires are mixed up... easy fix.

If you had the distributor out then the timing is maybe out.

• Like 2

OK, that notch will pass by the pointer twice for every one revolution the cam makes, so if you don't know what you are doing, it's kinda hard to explain unless you pull the valve cover off.

This is what it is supposed to look like.

Crank at TDC(0)

DSCN0259.JPG

The lobes on #1 cylinder should be pointed at 10 and 2 like in the photo below.

5obn7o.jpg

Then you remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointed directly at the post  on the cap going to #1 spark plug, if it is pointed somewhere else, then you have it wrong, either the dist. was moved, or the post it is pointed at is going to one of the other spark plug wires(2, 3, or 4), if everything is looking like the photos I have posted, whatever post the rotor is pointed at is the #1 wire, and the firing order is 1, 3 , 4, 2, counter clockwise.

• Like 3

Yes, what ever post the rotor is pointing at is number one plug wire, then go around the cap counter clockwise 1 3 4 2.

Is the notch on the crank at the "0" ?

I have the cam looking like that but the distributor rotor is pointing the opposite way could I just move the order and start one where the rotor is pointing ?

• Like 1

i think there would be more gas in that filter.

olddatsuns.com tech section

if you replaced one wire at a time this should not have gotton 180deg out. Were missing something here

ps you dont have to open the vavlve cover to know your comming up on TDC. just look at the lobe under the oil cap close to 9 o clock comming ip to 10 and then look dial craNK to zero where rotor points is where your #1 starts at

• Like 1

Well idk what's really wrong with the truck it self I'm trying to figure out why it don't start after I changed the plugs and wires it didn't want to start no more I changed the distributor rotor the cap seems good I'm trying to narrow it down to why it doesn't want to start

Was this running perfect before the plug and wire change? I would guess not if you felt the need for new ones and then a new carb.

IF it was running fine before, changing the plugs and wires wouldn't make it not start unless you messed with something else.

Now you want to mess with the timing? If the distributor wasn't touched it shouldn't need it.

You need two things for an engine to run... Spark and Fuel.

The wires have current going thru I shocked my self when Some one else turned it on I have replaced the distributor rotor the cap looks fine idk if it might be timing or not when I try to turn the truck on it sounds like it wants to start but it won't I recently checked the fuel filter and looks like it's dry on it I'm not sure if it's because I haven't had it running for like 2 weeks

Check for spark

First check order. 1 3 4 2  counter clockwise direction... that's the same direction your toilette flushes.

Pull a plug wire off and stick one of the old plugs in, lay on the grounded valve cover, crank over and look. Does it have a nice fat spark??????? Make sure!

Yes... go to fuel below.

No.... check both wires on matchbox module are on securely. Put old rotor and plugs back on

Check for fuel...

Lift air filter off and look down while pumping gas pedal. You should see a strong squirt of fuel into the primary barrel. That's the one closest to the valve cover. Got fuel??????

NO FUEL... Check gas tank gauge, got fuel in it? Pull outlet hose off fuel pump and direct into a container. Crank over engine with coil wire off so it doesn't start. Fuel should strongly pulse into container. Got fuel????

Yes... carb needle valve or float stuck not letting fuel in

No..... fuel not getting to pump.

Get small container of fuel and a hose. Connect up to the fuel pump inlet. Crank engine to fill carb... should start.

• Like 1

OK this isn't hard.

the fire order looks correctt on the photo.

now do the things we suggested.

I said to pump the gas and you should see gas squirt in the main barrel. this will almost eliminate the fuel pump ck as it shows  gas in the bowl.

ck for spark

were on page 3 now for a basic 3rd world ck a bushman an do in Africa in 5 mins.

pull the putput fuel line and point in safe direction. if no gas come out .fill gas tank with gas. If gas in tank then swap a another fuel pump. they sell 30$ cheapies at O rileys.

then one you got gas then ck the carb squirting gas.

• Like 1