My first 620, Custom Build in Memory of my Dad. Orlando, FL

markymac

Hello Fellow Ratsun Members, I want to thank you all for having such an amazing forum. I have being watching and reading posts for years. I decided to contribute my custom build in Memory of my father who passed away, he had a handful of Datsun's and I chose to purchase a 77 620 Kingcab to build. My Father had, A 240zx, 260zx, 280zx, 810, 86 300xz, 88 300zx Shiro #35. 

Currently the Truck is Bright Orange with a Black/Orange Interior. 

Already Completed. 

1. Wash and Clean

2. Lowered a few inches with Procomp Toxic Shocks

3. 18" Titan Rims with hub bored

4. Brand new set of 225/40/18 Khumos

5. Body Work in Progress. 

6. New Battery

7. New Spark Plugs and Wires

8. New Distributor, Rotor, Points

9. New Clutch Slave Cylinder.

10. Weber Carb. 

11. Purchased 78 280zx 5sp, hoping it will fit

12. Purchased 100's of parts from RockAuto.com

Next on List.

1. Find best header for L20b

2, Install Custom Exhaust

3. Layout Custom Stereo System (4 tweeters, 4- 6", 4- 8", and 2- 12's)

4. Paint Matte/Flat Orange

5. Rewire Compete Truck

6. Fluids Change. 

7. Become my daily drive

8. Will need to purchase the club and install alarm. 

I will post pictures soon. I am looking for a Good Datsun Mechanic in the Central Florida Area. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Mark, a shame the pictures aren't up, so looking forward to seeing them. Welcome.

Some thoughts...

Headers are expensive and unless this engine is extremely 'built', they add nothing. A better option is an earlier L16 cast iron manifold. They do everything the header can but are quieter, run cooler, fit perfectly and don't come loose, don't rust out or leak. The only thing a header is... is lighter. If custom exhaust you might consider duals, but keep the pipe diameter small. hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

Unles the wiring has been extremely hacked by previous owner, fix what you have. There are wiring diagrams for the '77 here or get the Haynes 620 manual for them/.. better yet is the Nissan FSM (factory service manual)

Being an old Datsun owner almost requires you to be your own mechanic. Paying for work done is very expensive. Again I suggest getting the Nissan '77 FSM and doing your on work or most of it. At the least you will know what is wrong and not ne taken advantage of by a mechanic.. The manuals are for sale on line for as little as $20 and pay for themselves in about 15 min or work. Everything on a '77 can be done by the owner. There are no mystery electronics or sensors. Emissions equipment are rudimentary and simple.

• Like 2

Welcome Mark, a shame the pictures aren't up, so looking forward to seeing them. Welcome.

Some thoughts...

Headers are expensive and unless this engine is extremely 'built', they add nothing. A better option is an earlier L16 cast iron manifold. They do everything the header can but are quieter, run cooler, fit perfectly and don't come loose, don't rust out or leak. The only thing a header is... is lighter. If custom exhaust you might consider duals, but keep the pipe diameter small. hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

Unles the wiring has been extremely hacked by previous owner, fix what you have. There are wiring diagrams for the '77 here or get the Haynes 620 manual for them/.. better yet is the Nissan FSM (factory service manual)

Being an old Datsun owner almost requires you to be your own mechanic. Paying for work done is very expensive. Again I suggest getting the Nissan '77 FSM and doing your on work or most of it. At the least you will know what is wrong and not ne taken advantage of by a mechanic.. The manuals are for sale on line for as little as $20 and pay for themselves in about 15 min or work. Everything on a '77 can be done by the owner. There are no mystery electronics or sensors. Emissions equipment are rudimentary and simple.

What would you recommend for custom exhaust diameter ? (Just wondering, dual and single)

• Like 2

Welcome markymac! Your dad had a nice collection! Respect. I love the "bullet side" 620. If it's the orange color I'm thinking of, that is also one of my favorite colors they came in. Look's like you have a good start and probably could of joined years ago. pics, Pics, PICS!  :frantics:

• Like 1

Some thoughts...

Datzenmike, thanks so much for your comment. The engine is stock except for the Weber Carb. I do want to do some single type exhaust off the header. I was looking at these two options. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161386957687?lpid=82&chn=ps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151517071917?lpid=82&chn=ps

I did purchase the Haynes Manual, I will look into the 77 FSM, I have done most the work myself, but since I replaced the distributor and points, I do not feel like it has the same power, sometime is off, maybe timing. This is the first vehicle I bought that did no have a warranty lol and all my previous mechanics was Nitro RC or Racing Go Karts. I will investigate the option you have shared with me, I do like the option of just purchasing a header then going to my friend muffler shop and get some 2 or 2.5" pipe ran. 

• Like 1

Welcome markymac! Your dad had a nice collection! Respect. I love the "bullet side" 620. If it's the orange color I'm thinking of, that is also one of my favorite colors they came in. Look's like you have a good start and probably could of joined years ago. pics, Pics, PICS!  :frantics:

Gradyfest, Thank you so much for your kind remarks, my Dad did have an amazing collection. I have added pictures, more to come!

• Like 1

that is a pretty truck, i may not like titans but they're better than the rims that were originally on there

welcome, have fun

Thanks hobospyder, I am working on getting a set of 15x10 or 16x10 and trying to run a different style. Maybe staggered 8 in front and 10 in rear like Blue one Below. 

Blue1.jpg

Blue3.jpgBlue2.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the pictures.

As for the brake kit

Check out the Mike Klotz Kits:  Mike at this time only makes front kits.  I put these on the front of my 66 520 easy install.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11459-disc-brake-kits-521520320620/

Beebanis Brackets:

Front:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25124-hardbody-disc-brake-brackets-for-620521520320/

Rear:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25152-rear-disc-brackets-for-520521620/