Converting RHD back to LHD

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how well it was converted.

Same or more at least as going LHD to RHD. Ask the guy who converted how much time and bother it was. Ask also if he has all the old LHD parts he swapped out. He's the guy you should be asking.

He didn't do it, doesn't have any of the parts haha but it's a nice ride. I just don't want to drive around in a LHD. I'm sure I can convert it back as I've built a CA 1200 and SR 510. How hard could it be :) I probably would try to find someone who wanted RHD and swap the parts. Well see....

• Like 1

He didn't do it, doesn't have any of the parts haha but it's a nice ride. I just don't want to drive around in a LHD. I'm sure I can convert it back as I've built a CA 1200 and SR 510. How hard could it be :) I probably would try to find someone who wanted RHD and swap the parts. Well see....

Why not just leave it man? if you really dont want rhd find one that hasn't been converted

• 1 month later...

I have never understood the silly reason for converting a car to right hand drive.

You might be looking for a reason beyond "because". There isn't one.  B)

I could never get get used to shifting gears with my left hand!

It takes all of 5 minutes. I promise. If you can drive a manual transmission, you can do it left-handed.  :thumbup:

You know, everyone says that, but it's really things you don't think about until you actually own/drive one regularly...

You can't pass on a two-lane blacktop. 

You can't turn left if someone is in the turn lane facing you and also turning left. 

It's hard to drive in reverse because you keep trying to look over your right shoulder. 

No more drive throughs unless you do it in reverse (see above).

And if you're a "rest my elbow on the door on a hot day" kind of person, it's really weird doing it with your right elbow. But it did even out my tan for awhile...    :rofl:

• Like 1

I probably have all the parts to change it back to LEFT-hand drive, steering box, dash with round gauge panel, dash pad. Pedal assembly MAY switch to left side?? Just thought I would throw a bit of fuel on the fire...

i think we have enough to do at least three

Pedal assembly MAY switch to left side?? 

Box and pedals can be used, but it's really not angled correctly to work very well. You could always make it work...   :rofl:

Went through this with mine recently. Brake pedal is identical, clutch pedal is curved differently but could be rebent. The pedal box is curved slightly so you'd have to rework how the column mounts (it'll be offset about an inch to the right as I recall).

The In-n-Out Burger shops in my neighborhood have a drive thru lane where you can chose the take out window on the right, or the left.  The attendants love it when I pull up and they don't have to reach through the passenger side.

I also find that parallel parking was a bit difficult at first with a RHD car.

Looking in the rear view mirror to your left side is a a bit weird at first.

Getting onto the freeway and looking over your left shoulder is a bit of a trip at first, too.

You know, everyone says that, but it's really things you don't think about until you actually own/drive one regularly...

You can't pass on a two-lane blacktop. 

You can't turn left if someone is in the turn lane facing you and also turning left. 

It's hard to drive in reverse because you keep trying to look over your right shoulder. 

No more drive throughs unless you do it in reverse (see above).

Your engine is a little crooked though...    ^_^

I'm working on modding the crossmember to work with a forward sump oil pan. It might not be clear, but, I bought the original engine/trans from his 1200 for my 410. Decided it would be appropriate to post it after he showed its old bay with the sr20 in it...