720 4x4 suspension swap?

Thisolddatsun

Im really digging the whole set up for $900. Will that get me a driver side drop axle as well or a right drive line? Probably just get a toyota rear and match gears. Is a 30 spline better than the 21 spline?

The $900 is for a custom axle. You decide where it goes.

30 spline is better thatn 21, but where are you getting these numbers? Toyota transfer case inputs are 21 spline (or 23 for Turbo).

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The divorced adapter allows the Toyota case to be used without it being attacthed to a transmission. You could use the divorced adapter then a stock Toyota reduction box followed by a Toyota transfer case (with stock gears or 4.7 gears). There is no provision to bolt a Nissan case to a Toyota case.

Hmm well maybe Ill try doing a dual nissan tcase set up and see if itll get a passanger side drop from it.

The $900 is for a custom axle. You decide where it goes.

30 spline is better thatn 21, but where are you getting these numbers? Toyota transfer case inputs are 21 spline (or 23 for Turbo).

I got it from the website for the custom axles for $900

Any Spline count, some common ones for us are:

27 spline Toyota

30 spline Toyota

32 spline Toyota

36 spline Toyota

31, 33, 35 spline Ford

30 spline 14b

35 spline Dana 60

37 spline Dana 80

40 spline

31, 33 spline Nissan

Enless axle spline count is different from tcase

Trying to dig up some info on the tx100 tcase that came in 86-87 and 88-89 Im thinking its the married tcase but I'm not sure if it is then I guess ill look into putting 2 t100s together. Everything iv read and my uncle says the t100 tcase is one tough SOB and dual ones of those would be sick. Cant find any build threads for t100 dual set ups with pictures. Lots of write ups about them but id like some pictures.

With all the adapters out there these days, I wonder if there's an adapter to bolt a Toyota trans (W56, R150) behind a Nissan motor. That would be the simplest solution. Or any other trans for that matter.

Ooooh, wait a minute. I remember that the T5 was used in the 1983 280zx turbo. I wonder if that bellhousing is the ticket here. T5 to D300 ought to be a simple option, it just depends on finding the right T5.

• Like 1

With all the adapters out there these days, I wonder if there's an adapter to bolt a Toyota trans (W56, R150) behind a Nissan motor. That would be the simplest solution. Or any other trans for that matter.

Ooooh, wait a minute. I remember that the T5 was used in the 1983 280zx turbo. I wonder if that bellhousing is the ticket here. T5 to D300 ought to be a simple option, it just depends on finding the right T5.

Totally feel like I just read a language iv never heard before. Haha :o

The z31 turbo also ran the T5 trans. That bellhousing will attach any t5 to any vg engine, but I don't know about there being an L28 bellhousing. Does L series six cylinder match Z series bolt patterns?

The z31 turbo also ran the T5 trans. That bellhousing will attach any t5 to any vg engine, but I don't know about there being an L28 bellhousing. Does L series six cylinder match Z series bolt patterns?

I know I can do z series transmission mine has the lowest first gear ratio that I can find that doesnt need modifications to bolt up.

I had a T5 in my 510 MANY years ago. I think I may still have the bellhousing laying around. If you could source a Borg Warner T5 out of a '82 to '86 Jeep CJ you could bolt a Dana 300 transfer case to it and be done. Lots of cool stuff is available for the Dana 300 like HD input and output shafts and gearsets. 

Unfortunately the T5 is not know for it's strength, but luckily it is possible to bolt a SM420 or SM465 (both GM 4 speeds with granny low) to a T5 bellhousing. SM420's have a 1st gear ratio of about 7:1 so it makes for a good crawling transmission. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t4_t5.htmhttp://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/model_300.htm

So we now have a good option for getting a strong t-case with a passenger side drop into your Nissan. The only caveat is that the T5 behind an L motor would be clocked differently than the NAPS Z bellhousing, but that also could play into our hands to get the t-case rotated up flat with the bottom of the frame rails.

• Like 1

I had a T5 in my 510 MANY years ago. I think I may still have the bellhousing laying around. If you could source a Borg Warner T5 out of a '82 to '86 Jeep CJ you could bolt a Dana 300 transfer case to it and be done. Lots of cool stuff is available for the Dana 300 like HD input and output shafts and gearsets.

Unfortunately the T5 is not know for it's strength, but luckily it is possible to bolt a SM420 or SM465 (both GM 4 speeds with granny low) to a T5 bellhousing. SM420's have a 1st gear ratio of about 7:1 so it makes for a good crawling transmission. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t4_t5.htmhttp://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/model_300.htm

So we now have a good option for getting a strong t-case with a passenger side drop into your Nissan. The only caveat is that the T5 behind an L motor would be clocked differently than the NAPS Z bellhousing, but that also could play into our hands to get the t-case rotated up flat with the bottom of the frame rails.

I would LOVE a sm420 one of the reasons i would do a 4.3 v6. & also its a center drop on the nissan t100 tcase

The L series and Z series motors have the same bolt pattern but they clock the trans at a different position. I believe it's about an 11 deg difference, but haven't measured it. 

The L series and Z series motors have the same bolt pattern but they clock the trans at a different position. I believe it's about an 11 deg difference, but haven't measured it.

Did some talk about a z22 build thread maybe a lz23 build. mike posted this

An L head and an L series front timing cover is all you really need... however the L engine is normally leaning about 20 degrees to the pass side and this gives room on the driver's side for the manifolds. Unles you use L series mounts and an L transmission this isn't going to work

Suppose if I did the work and for tranny tcase combos itd be interesting. The t5 bell housing swap on a sm420 and do dual tcases would be awesome behind a lz build.

I don't know of any way to bolt two Nissan t-cases together. If you did dual cases, they would probably be Toyota cases. More accurately, one Toyota reduction box, then an adapter, then a Toyota t-case.

The bellhousing clocking is important for the transfer case front output clocking. I'm not saying you should run an L motor. I'm saying that if you ran the L series T5 bellhousing, then a T5 (or SM420) the clocking difference between the L and Z motors would be beneficial. It would raise the front output of the transfer case so that it would not hang down below the frame.

And I'm not saying it would fit in the truck either, not without plenty of mods, like a custom crossmember and possibly some work to the floor pan, plus probable exhaust and other work as well.

If I were building the truck here in my shop, this is the avenue I would pursue.

• Like 1

I don't know of any way to bolt two Nissan t-cases together. If you did dual cases, they would probably be Toyota cases. More accurately, one Toyota reduction box, then an adapter, then a Toyota t-case.

The bellhousing clocking is important for the transfer case front output clocking. I'm not saying you should run an L motor. I'm saying that if you ran the L series T5 bellhousing, then a T5 (or SM420) the clocking difference between the L and Z motors would be beneficial. It would raise the front output of the transfer case so that it would not hang down below the frame.

And I'm not saying it would fit in the truck either, not without plenty of mods, like a custom crossmember and possibly some work to the floor pan, plus probable exhaust and other work as well.

If I were building the truck here in my shop, this is the avenue I would pursue.

well all the work into the l bellhouseing and twist itd be worth the time to go with a lhead to get rid of the dual spark plugs and have 4 and they are better heads than the z performance wise or something like that.

The first L28 turbos 12/ '80 (half way through the '81 model year) only came with automatics. It was thought the FS5W71B couldn't handle a turbo engine and the FS5W71C wasn't ready yet so a year later Nissan got their ass in gear but settled on the crappy T-5 for half of '82 and all of '83. When the '84 300zx came out the T-5 was continued through '86 with the VG30ET. The normally aspirated VG30E did get the new FS5W71C.

Good to know. Thanks for the info Mike, that rocks.

Old datsun, you're right about running two divorced tcases meaning you could run any trans. The only downside is that the 720 4x4 runs a shorter transmission. I believe that the tail shaft and tail housing are what is shortened, but I may not be correct on that.

This matters because you either need to swap that portion of trans over, or else push the t cases farther back in the truck.

Good to know. Thanks for the info Mike, that rocks.

Old datsun, you're right about running two divorced tcases meaning you could run any trans. The only downside is that the 720 4x4 runs a shorter transmission. I believe that the tail shaft and tail housing are what is shortened, but I may not be correct on that.

This matters because you either need to swap that portion of trans over, or else push the t cases farther back in the truck.

I was thinking going with a shorter/smaller one. But if I already have the shortest/smallest nissan 5spd I can get then guess I'll just have to roll with it. Its a good transmission I love it and beat the hell out of it one of the bolt holes on the bell housing has a nice split through it on the upper part.
  • Like 1