720 4x4 suspension swap?

Thisolddatsun

Is that front diff on the driver's side? If so, a stock Toyota min truck axle won't work, unless you swap t-cases as well. Either a custom axle or a Ford high pinio D44 are the axles that come to mind.

The frame has a nice high arch to it so suspension utravel (bump) would not suffer. The steering box would have to be moved up and forward for any real gains, and if you're going to do that, you may as well run a Toyota box.

The nice thing about that diff being so tightly packaged like it is is that there is already a ton of oil pan clearance, so modifying the pan isn't going to be an issue.

yeah Its a driver side drop. I thought toyota had something that was driver side drop. From what wayno is saying it's a really old steering box set up anyways so a toyota steering box would probably be a good upgrade for it along with the straight axle. Now I remember why I was going to do dana 44s front and back haha. But I wonder if you could do a nissan tcase to a toyota tcase. Then it could go to the passenger side right?
  • Like 1
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OTT used to make a divorced adapter for the Toyota t-case, but I don't think they are in business anymore. Inchworm makes the Lefty, which is a converted Toyota gear driven case for driver's side drop. If used with the OTT divorced adapter, it could be the ticket. Is your transfer case divorced now? What about a passenger side drop t-case? Mike said that some of the years were passenger. That big 'ol oil pan would have to be cut and clearanced, but that's no big deal.

I can think of only a couple cases that would work for a driver's side: Atlas, NP205...

Toyota never had a solid axle driver's side, but a custom housing is cheap. Trail Gear (which is not my favorite producer of axle housings) can get one shipped to your door for under $800 or you could buy one from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TOY8.htmlthat needs knuckles or my personal favorite http://www.diamondaxle.com/front_steering.htm $900 complete with knuckle balls.

Let me think about this. I'm sure there's an option I'm forgetting...

• Like 1

OTT used to make a divorced adapter for the Toyota t-case, but I don't think they are in business anymore. Inchworm makes the Lefty, which is a converted Toyota gear driven case for driver's side drop. If used with the OTT divorced adapter, it could be the ticket. Is your transfer case divorced now? What about a passenger side drop t-case? Mike said that some of the years were passenger. That big 'ol oil pan would have to be cut and clearanced, but that's no big deal.

I can think of only a couple cases that would work for a driver's side: Atlas, NP205...

Toyota never had a solid axle driver's side, but a custom housing is cheap. Trail Gear (which is not my favorite producer of axle housings) can get one shipped to your door for under $800 or you could buy one from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TOY8.htmlthat needs knuckles or my personal favorite http://www.diamondaxle.com/front_steering.htm $900 complete with knuckle balls.

Let me think about this. I'm sure there's an option I'm forgetting...

Yeah they are divorced up till they switched to the d21/Hardbody. I wanna say till 85 but I know mine is divorced for sure so it woulnt be much more than mounting toyota tcase and making the custom primary drive line on top of the solid axle.

And we're back! Custom hb233. Nah just kidding. Toyota axles have been stuffed under 720s multiple times. Not sure if they require a different tcase or if the axle just has a slight angle in the other direction, but it's been done without major issue, so you just need a little more research.

It's my understanding that the divorced 720 t-case is a center drop for the front axle. Is that the case you have? Can you get a few shots of the t-case? 

Edit:

Center drop on this one. I would think you could choose whatever axle drop you want with this shaft setup, it might take some other modifications though. I wonder how clockable the 720 t-case is, should be able to rotate a divorced case any way you like.

cb6e88798275d9418b7d6368bd68ddf8_zpsd738

• Like 1

...and while your in there you rotating the case out of the way you could add another t-case. :lol:

I read somewhere you can do it if you dont plan on go over 50mph in 4hi or something like that. Would really like to use toyota axles just for the removable 3rd member. But stoff was talking about how the big boys use dual tcases for rockcrawling link the 2 tcases together 1 nissan and 1 toyota and itd probably swap over to passanger side. Maybe I could work something out with another nissan tcase I have one sitting in my back yard just have to get it from under the other truck.

I just left a message with my friend Jim who founded Inchworm Gear. I'm going to see exactly what would go into making a divorced adapter for ourselves?

That would be pretty sweet! Yeah the tcase output running to the front is in the center the primary and front driveline are lined up pretty close if the pumkin was in the center of the truck it would be perfect.

So the stock front output is centered?

This is the old OTT divorced adapter. It wouldn't be hard to make one. I forget what the front bearing and flange are. I think they are someunit bearing or wheel bearing that's easy to find.

OTT_Divorced_Adapter_zps5041ea5d.jpg

Also just to make sure Im following correctly the divorced adapter like whats pictured goes onto the tcase and allows for the use of a nissan tranny+tcase with toyota axle+tcase?

Also just to make sure Im following correctly the divorced adapter like whats pictured goes onto the tcase and allows for the use of a nissan tranny+tcase with toyota axle+tcase?

This would allow you to run a Toyota case behind a Nissan transmission with an intermediate drive shaft. This also would allow you to run 2 Toyota cases when using a doubler. 

You can see the adapter for my 620 in this picture with the slip yoke at the front (sitting on the bench above the t-case) I'm using this setup behind a 720 trans. The adapter here takes place of the intermediate drive shaft. 

IMG_2582.jpg

Here is just the shaft with the output bearing and bull gear installed. It is basically a slip yoke from the Datsun drive shaft welded to a 10 spline main shaft from a transmission designed to use a dana 20 t-case. 

IMG_2525.jpg

• Like 1

Even just a quick glance over photos and basic details. He does a torsion bar lift with spacers, then a body lift, then swaps to a Dana 44, then swaps to a Toyota axle, then swaps out engines. He goes through fair amount of stuff that might help you decide what direction you want to go

• Like 2

Even just a quick glance over photos and basic details. He does a torsion bar lift with spacers, then a body lift, then swaps to a Dana 44, then swaps to a Toyota axle, then swaps out engines. He goes through fair amount of stuff that might help you decide what direction you want to go

Id like to keep the nissan motor/tranny maybe tcase if I can. But dual t cases with a nissan and toyota would be cool. If I could pull 2 nissan tcases and toyota axles that'd be cooler.

2011-09-03%25252018.15.14_Statham_Georgi

2011-09-03%25252018.15.24_Statham_Georgi

This is the t case how it sits under the body, bolted in place. Input goes in the top and both drive shaft come out the bottom. If you want to use two of the 720 tcases you could clock the second tcase to one side, that would keep your clearances higher and avoid clearance issues of your front driveshaft hitting the front tcase. Seems doable.

• Like 1

2011-09-03%25252018.15.14_Statham_Georgi

2011-09-03%25252018.15.24_Statham_Georgi

This is the t case how it sits under the body, bolted in place. Input goes in the top and both drive shaft come out the bottom. If you want to use two of the 720 tcases you could clock the second tcase to one side, that would keep your clearances higher and avoid clearance issues of your front driveshaft hitting the front tcase. Seems doable.

Love this photos. Im pretty sure I'm thinking way to hard about how to connect the 2 t cases. But that would be awesome. Checked out some hangars for a SAS set up. Probably should focus on saving up for another rig so I can start playing more in the truck and find what I really wanna do next and not have to stress about when things breaking and having to get to work the next day. Haha.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/nissan/322515-datsun-divorced-t-case-strength.html

Found this thread. Pretty interesting read. Sounds like I need to dig the one out from under the parts truck maybe go see about picking up another t case from the junk yard. If I could get the dual set up before the SAS itd make buying a axle a little cheaper. Haha :)

Only the 720 has the divorced trans case. Two joined would be 4 to one ratio... roughly 2.5 MPH at 2000 RPMs in first, stock 25.5" tires. I guess you would turn the case on it's side and join the other to it 69 style, shorten the driveshaft.

I still can't get over the 3.889 in a 4x4, but higher numbers are better for crawling 4.11 and up

EXACTLY!

I naturally assumed he had 4.375 in his 4x4... thus my statement.

The divorced adapter allows the Toyota case to be used without it being attacthed to a transmission. You could use the divorced adapter then a stock Toyota reduction box followed by a Toyota transfer case (with stock gears or 4.7 gears). There is no provision to bolt a Nissan case to a Toyota case.

• Like 1