720 4x4 suspension swap?

Thisolddatsun

I definitely want to see what you come up with for getting the twin t100s under the truck. I'm interested in seeing how it all would have to go together.

http://nissannut.com/projects/Driveshaft/

This guy runs a lifted sas wd21 pathfinder on a Dana 44. He goes over a few different options he has run for putting together front driveshafts and what problems he has encountered running an sas Nissan.

And for what it's worth, I have found that it's way easier to pull my 720s engine to do the clutch than it is to drop the trans. With an sas and all the ifs stuff out of the way, that might be different, but in stock form, engine is way faster out and in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read through that article. After all the work he went though to get the Spicer CV to bolt up, and then the problems with flex, I think a Toyota shaft would be a better option. The Spicers 1310's are weak and the CV's are larger than a Toyota joint...go figure.

Here's a pic of the two compared side by side.

Small_Pics_2_43_zps78976812.jpg

Small_Pics_2_41_zps29731a06.jpg

• Like 1

http://nissannut.com/projects/DOM_Steering_SAS/

That same guy has also built custom steering assemblies and shows how to modify some common aftermarket high steering stuff to work on a Nissan.

His website covers a ton of different projects he has done, all Nissan. If you care to, it might be a good read for some Nissan specific inspiration, though only a little of it is 720 specific.

• Like 1

Stoff, I hope I'm not coming across as trying to tell you your business, as I couldn't build a rig even a quarter as hard core as you do. I am interested in getting as much solid info on here as possible. Every time I post some info, you respond with a well reasoned argument based on experience as to why it may not be the best option. That discussion is what generates quality info. Thanks for staying active in this discussion. I said it before, but I seriously love this thread.

• Like 1

http://nissannut.com/projects/DOM_Steering_SAS/

That same guy has also built custom steering assemblies and shows how to modify some common aftermarket high steering stuff to work on a Nissan.

His website covers a ton of different projects he has done, all Nissan. If you care to, it might be a good read for some Nissan specific inspiration, though only a little of it is 720 specific.

I love this thread too! Its by far my favorite and the most amount of information. Might stick with stoffs idea of toyota drive lines just because I want to use toyota axles. Make the work a little easier pairing it up. Sounds like itll be toyota SAS front and rear toyota drivelines from the axles to the tcase.

The dual tcases to transmission are gunna be a custom length nissan driveline with the same yoke and flange. Transmission will be the FS5W71B that I have enless I can come up with a shorter nissan transmission and a z22 with some work done. Atleast this is what I want to go for.

• Like 1

Stoff, I hope I'm not coming across as trying to tell you your business, as I couldn't build a rig even a quarter as hard core as you do. I am interested in getting as much solid info on here as possible. Every time I post some info, you respond with a well reasoned argument based on experience as to why it may not be the best option. That discussion is what generates quality info. Thanks for staying active in this discussion. I said it before, but I seriously love this thread.

Absolutely. I don't take offense to a good debate. I am the ultimate devil's advocate, sometimes to a fault. I once defended my brother's brother in law's ex wife for leaving him. That went over like a lead ballon.

I do sound argumentative at times, sorry.

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome build plan. I look forward to seeing that truck come together.

Now its just the gathering of parts and $$ to do it. Haha

Also i suppose if I get the full custom toyota front axle for 900 and do driver side drop. It helps not having to have a set drop and the axle being the same price for any drop.

• Like 1

While thingking about the options here, I was reminded of an old desire: to build a 320 4x4 that looks like it was a factory option. I have always wanted to do this. The trick would be to find the right narrow width axles and a tiny transfer case. I wonder if the divorced 720 case would be a good option here. Samurai axles would probably be a good pace to start. If anyone ever want to do this, let me know. I would love to be involved.

• Like 1

While thingking about the options here, I was reminded of an old desire: to build a 320 4x4 that looks like it was a factory option. I have always wanted to do this. The trick would be to find the right narrow width axles and a tiny transfer case. I wonder if the divorced 720 case would be a good option here. Samurai axles would probably be a good pace to start. If anyone ever want to do this, let me know. I would love to be involved.

I saw a 4x4 620 parked. Looked pretty beat up but itd be so cool to tinker with
  • Like 2

That would be kinda cool, if it wasn't to high, seen one made out of a NL320, it was to high and was a failed project I think, it was parted out. :(

• Like 2

That would be kinda cool, if it wasn't to high, seen one made out of a NL320, it was to high and was a failed project I think, it was parted out. :(

That's what I'm talking about. If you could make one that looked absolutely bone stock, but 4x4, that would be awesome. I wouldn't do it unless I could make  it look like it came off the showroom floor.

620's were converted from new by one dealer up there in WA somewhere. He used Jeep t-cases and axles. Finding one is rare.

Iv heard about how rare they are. I think a 620 4x4 would be pretty cool. But Im also debating about a 2wd 620 just for commuting purposes. Maybe build it to tow and drag my 4x4 720 all over with it. Haha
  • Like 1

620 tow rig? I wonder how a 620 body would fit on a early Dodge cummins chassis? Could be a fun tow rig.

Well all it needs is torque and the right gearing. Same setup as a rock crawler just without the big meaty tires. If you have the right trailer that holds its own weight all you need is something to pull it. Right? But a cummins 620 would be badass. Deffinatly end up with stacks on that badboy haha
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That 320 looks like it had a frame swap. If I were going to do it, I would use as much 320 as possible, keep it as low as possible, use skinny wheels with hub caps and period correct traction tires.

okay so change of thought here sorta. Because my truck is my first truck and all that and im scared to mess up and such and I have this half finished project sitting in my backyard thats pretty much where I should start. No motor tranny tcase or dash. Just a shell for the most part falling off itd axles. Its my dads datsun his first datsun pickup 80s 4x4 longbed. He kept it original slowly added to it had the l18 or l20 that was swapped for a z20/24 and the super low gearing. Now how it sits is a rather sad still badass but needs new life brought to it. Chevy 1/2 ton axles 10 bolt in back not sure on the front. Homemade shackles grandpa made along with the front. My dad hates it and wants a 3 link in front 4 link in back but the links he wants to go to the center of his truck. The leafs and shackles he wants gone. Thinking the ford shock mounts like before. But I have no idea how to do a 3 or 4 link setup so I am in need of some help. No motor or transmission in the way right now still undecided he might do a z24 with the transmissions and tcase cause a v8 wont fit a v6 will but he doesnt want fuel injection he really wants to go propane. Right now though the biggest thing is getting it moveable as it is falling off the axles only held together by some tow straps and blocks of wood and it cant steer. He ran out of money so he couldnt finish it and he can't work so Im going to help him finish his project mud truck/ rock crawler. He wants the links to all be the same length and multiple of them. But essentially he wants to "flex" the truck almost completely upside down or on its side. Feel free to pitch ideas in for anything. Theres also a 300zx right next to it with good motor tranny wiring harness he wanted to swap that into it. But now time for pictures....

20150218_113627_zpsh1lxenga.jpg

20150218_113618_zpsalybxadu.jpg

20150218_113606_zpsg57lue0k.jpg

20150218_113537_zpsp1wzjgue.jpg

20150218_113416_zpsnobgvry0.jpg

Here's the steering issue.

20150218_113235_zpsihlsaybd.jpg

20150218_113211_zpsblipnk5t.jpg

Noticed the only front end picture I got was horrible. So I'll need to get another one when I get the chance.

• Like 1

If it were me, and I had all the parts, I would put it back together stock if possible and just drive it for what it is, as any other route/avenue your starting from scratch, and it will take a lot of effort and time, otherwise it's likely going to get scrapped as you have not done a 4 link before.

It's really hard to get started on something when you have never done it before, that leaves it to someone else to volunteer that knows what they are doing to get you going, and then once you understand what needs to be done it has a chance if you have enough uninterrupted time to get it mostly done.

Don't throw away the rear leafs, them are what us 521/620 owners want to lower our rides, although looking at them, it looks like they have had extra leafs added to them.

• Like 1

In part I agree with wayno. Put the truck back together how it is to start with. Getting the axles situated shouldn't be a major investment of time or money. You will pick up a ton of info along the way just by getting your hands dirty on that truck. It already has the simplest off-road upgrade being a solid axle swap. Learn what there is to know about that as you rebuild that. Then get it running.

I don't know if you have ever had a major project vehicle or not, so I'm going to just throw out some advice. A running project will keep you more motivated by a huge margin. It is much harder to keep going on a project where you are basically doing everything than to have a running one that you do "small" projects on then have it running again. They become separate projects you can finish and enjoy which will give you the drive to do the next project. And now off my soap box.

I would use this truck as a guinea pig once it's running and driving. Test ideas for your future build. FWIW here's how I would approach that truck.

1. Clean up/ remount axles

2. Get engine running

3. Drive the Bitch while you do some research and hunt parts for your next move.

4. Do D21 4x4 trans with divorced 2nd tcase. This will let you test the setup and allow you to decide if the twin t100 setup is still worth it for you. It will also require you to do some basic fab work and familiarize yourself with what extra the twin t100s will require. You can also figure out how to deal with changing driveshaft length.

5. If you need more power, try out the 300z motor swap. It's a vg30e so it will bolt to a D21 v6 transmission and you can easily keep the twin tcase setup you have already built. If the engine needs rebuilt, maybe have some fun and pick up a pathfinder 3.3 block and bolt your heads and accessories etc. to it, it's basically a bolt on upgrade.

6. Spend all that time researching proper 4/3 link setups. Just to get a look at some, pathfinders run a factory 4 link, and jeep Cherokees run an odd wishbone thing with a ball joint on it.

7. Now you are ready to link it, so go for it.

• Like 1

In part I agree with wayno. Put the truck back together how it is to start with. Getting the axles situated shouldn't be a major investment of time or money. You will pick up a ton of info along the way just by getting your hands dirty on that truck. It already has the simplest off-road upgrade being a solid axle swap. Learn what there is to know about that as you rebuild that. Then get it running.

I don't know if you have ever had a major project vehicle or not, so I'm going to just throw out some advice. A running project will keep you more motivated by a huge margin. It is much harder to keep going on a project where you are basically doing everything than to have a running one that you do "small" projects on then have it running again. They become separate projects you can finish and enjoy which will give you the drive to do the next project. And now off my soap box.

I would use this truck as a guinea pig once it's running and driving. Test ideas for your future build. FWIW here's how I would approach that truck.

1. Clean up/ remount axles

2. Get engine running

3. Drive the Bitch while you do some research and hunt parts for your next move.

4. Do D21 4x4 trans with divorced 2nd tcase. This will let you test the setup and allow you to decide if the twin t100 setup is still worth it for you. It will also require you to do some basic fab work and familiarize yourself with what extra the twin t100s will require. You can also figure out how to deal with changing driveshaft length.

5. If you need more power, try out the 300z motor swap. It's a vg30e so it will bolt to a D21 v6 transmission and you can easily keep the twin tcase setup you have already built. If the engine needs rebuilt, maybe have some fun and pick up a pathfinder 3.3 block and bolt your heads and accessories etc. to it, it's basically a bolt on upgrade.

6. Spend all that time researching proper 4/3 link setups. Just to get a look at some, pathfinders run a factory 4 link, and jeep Cherokees run an odd wishbone thing with a ball joint on it.

7. Now you are ready to link it, so go for it.

For the most part everything but the torsion bars can be bolted back on and the money to get it back situated on the axles I would be able to set up a proper 3 or 4 link. Really just trying to fund my dads project as he cannot and it is the whole setup I want for mine. Iv done lots motor wise. And iv wanted to do a SAS but figured I could help him finish up his its his first 4x4 and hes done alot to the truck. Id just love to help him finish it and gain the experience. Id work on swapping the motor and transmission + harness but the trucks not really even holding its own weight as you can tell. The car ran when it was parked so probably a fluid change fresh gas and a battery itd be good to go.
  • Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I have a early 83 made may of 83 mine has a H190 rear end with a 3:88 as well my rear end just went out and I’m sweating trying to find out both why my truck has the 2wd gearing as to the 4:11 and higher And  curious what would it take to put a C200 in my truck with a better gear ratio and then have the front differential geared to match . Because if I can’t get this rear end fixed there’s gonna be another slick 720 King cab deluxe go to the world of Craigslist 

• Like 1