720 4x4 suspension swap?

Thisolddatsun

You can see that my '83 clearly has leaf springs, but when I was doing the fab on the frame, I built everything I would need to be able to run a 3 link so when that time comes, I don't have to tear into my engine bay again. You can also see the shock tower brace I made in the following pics. I am going to build a custom axle and 3 link it this spring.

Small_Pics_2_01_zps03a973a0.jpg

After_Paint_Small_008_zps98d924c8.jpg

83_Toyota_Small_1_323_zps2ade7b0f.jpg

Small_Pics_2_100_zps6f86c4c3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see that my '83 clearly has leaf springs, but when I was doing the fab on the frame, I built everything I would need to be able to run a 3 link so when that time comes, I don't have to tear into my engine bay again. You can also see the shock tower brace I made in the following pics. I am going to build a custom axle and 3 link it this spring.

Holy cow those are some shock mounts. I figured I would build them into the fenders I want to build but Iv never played with shocks/mounting and the strengths of all the steels and I have it written down somewhere. Looks sick though!

Build thread? :cool:

• Like 1

Holy cow those are some shock mounts. I figured I would build them into the fenders I want to build but Iv never played with shocks/mounting and the strengths of all the steels and I have it written down somewhere. Looks sick though!

There are three separate measurements to get the right shock length; ride height, fully extended, fully compressed. Also take into consideration how much bump you have. If you have 4" of bump and 10" of droop, a 14" shock set up so that 4" of shaft is showing at ride height is going to help you determine where you mount the shocks. A lot off my builds have lots of travel, but a low ride height so I have to get creative in the packaging.

That's some very pretty fabrication. Very nice work stoff.

Thank you.

Build thread? :cool:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132792-1st-Gen-Hilux-3RZ-build-thread-Stoffregen-Motorsports

• Like 1

...oh, I had my 5th magazine feature this month too.

Jerry_Schroeder_Magazine_Pg_1-2_zps4a1b5

Jerry_Schroeder_Magazine_Pg_2-3_zps2b00d

I feel like if I wanted to do a serious nissan/datsun build itd be more worth while to save up the money and load my datsun onto a trailer and bring it down+parts to get your help solid axleing it. With your shop and all that. Haha not saying I dont want to learn it or do it myself. Id love to help turn bolts and learn a thing or 2.
  • Like 1

I feel like if I wanted to do a serious nissan/datsun build itd be more worth while to save up the money and load my datsun onto a trailer and bring it down+parts to get your help solid axleing it. With your shop and all that. Haha not saying I dont want to learn it or do it myself. Id love to help turn bolts and learn a thing or 2.

All it takes is a pile of cash and a welder...!

I am not the most expensive guy on the block, so your truck would be in good hands here, but there's a lot you can do on your own if you have basic mechanical and fab skills. The toughest part is finding all the parts.

Thanks.

And sorry for the thread jack.

• Like 2

All it takes is a pile of cash and a welder...!

I am not the most expensive guy on the block, so your truck would be in good hands here, but there's a lot you can do on your own if you have basic mechanical and fab skills. The toughest part is finding all the parts.

Thanks.

And sorry for the thread jack.

Im not upset at all by the thread jack its still technically under the same category of frame/suspension and its 4x4. Haha plus you know your stuff Im glad your still posting replys and helping with ideas. And I love that you like big tires with little lift and keeping them low. Haha
  • Like 1

Thank you for the compliments.

I have an idea. Why don't you (thisolddatsun) snap a couple pics of the front half of the truck and post them up. Detail pics of the frame area and underside and steering box area. It would help me with ideas.

you got it man! Ill go snap some in a little. Any ideas from you would be great you know what your doing better than me.
  • Like 3

I have only seen a handful of them ever, I believe they are the early style.

I don't know anything about power steering up keep, I just fill them up and use them.

do you fill them through the power steering pump? And are you supposed to use gl4 as well for it? Was skimming through my chiltons book at all the fluids since I am going to be redoing my transmission fluid and saw that the steering gear uses the same fluid as the tranny and t case

Is that front diff on the driver's side? If so, a stock Toyota mini truck axle won't work, unless you swap t-cases as well. Either a custom axle or a Ford high pinion D44 are the axles that come to mind.

The frame has a nice high arch to it so suspension uptravel (bump) would not suffer. The steering box would have to be moved up and forward for any real gains, and if you're going to do that, you may as well run a Toyota box.

The nice thing about that diff being so tightly packaged like it is is that there is already a ton of oil pan clearance, so modifying the pan isn't going to be an issue.

• Like 1