Car Ban

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They give licenses away far to easily in California. I know plenty of people that really shouldn't have one (I'm 19, and it's like a completely different approach to driving for my generation). Everyone thinks it's their right to drive a car, and they don't understand that you're basically driving a 3000 lb. weapon. 

That being said... I was pretty much on the hairy edge of my (and my car's) driving capabilities for a long time. I remember pulling a J turn in the church parking lot near my school while waiting to pick up a friend... Stock suspension 510 wagon (basically 3 feet off the ground) attempting to flip a 180 at 20-30mph in reverse. Nearly shat myself with two wheels off the ground.... 

Learning to really drive in an underpowered, underbraked, shitty handling station wagon is probably the best thing that ever happened to my driving. Now that I have a car (same car, new power plant and ride height) that can actually get me in trouble, I know how to use it. 

Three years of watching people do stupid shit on the road from a driver's perspective and plenty of near accidents (some admittedly my own fault, though none in the past year) have matured my driving significantly. And that's only after a few years. 

• Like 1

I hear you with the giving away licenses too easily! My daughter just turned 18 and got her license. She is not a perfect driver, expert, seasoned, whatever, but she does pretty good. Well enough to wheer I can relax while sitting in the car, UNLIKE some of her friends I have ridden with who scare the sh!t out of me! Have me holding on for dear life and cringing.

I hear you with the giving away licenses too easily! My daughter just turned 18 and got her license. She is not a perfect driver, expert, seasoned, whatever, but she does pretty good. Well enough to wheer I can relax while sitting in the car, UNLIKE some of her friends I have ridden with who scare the sh!t out of me! Have me holding on for dear life and cringing.

If you really have to ride with them. buy some Pampers!

You know, licenses should be harder to get, like in the UK.  I would relish all sorts of crazy shit to be worthy to get one, just to keep morons from driving.  Now, about those morons.  I got a little lucky today.  I'm heading home from work in my illustrious ugly Betty shitbox and I'm leaving Cheney and of course there are two car loads (4+) in a Subaru WRX standard, and a I dunno, Mitisubishi Kia something small four door.  Two lanes go to one lane, I'm trying to get in front of the one, but the WRX driver doesn't know how to use the gas pedal.  I hold my line and the other car backs off eventually.  Probably because they're scared to get hit by a rusty, dented 810.

We get to the highway, and I drop it in 3rd and rocket off around the WRX.  Get it up to a buck before I have to stop for yet another car driving slowly.  They finally move, and I do a couple zig-zags (while signalling properly) to the right lane and the left.  Normally I hate this, but apparently Friday night is full of morons who don't understand the left lane is for overtaking, NOT FOR TRAVEL!!!!!  So I'm in 4th, hammer down to pass slow asshole in the left lane and I'm closer to my margin than usual with a truck in the right lane.  A real truck.  Half semi.  So I have to get back in the left lane at a high rate of speed, which I do no problem.  Except right as I made that maneuver, I see a stater in a Suburban headed the other way.  So wait to see lights.  No lights.  Hammer down, back up to a buck, putting some distance, watching the rear view.  And it dawned on me, he probably took one look and figured I wasn't going all that fast.  The Maxima is such an unassuming car.  If I was in a red Corvette or Miata?  Oh hell no, he would have cross the center median and run me down!

Fortunately the kids I had originally passed didn't want to try and keep up with me.  That would have been another thing because yeah, they have no idea what their car handles like at speed, let alone if they can make a lane change at 100 mph and still have the car stick.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, kids should NOT be allowed to start driving with anything over 100hp.  Period.  They should learn with low hp shitboxes.  My first truck was a 1976 Ford Courier with horrible brakes.  If I turned on the heater and mashed the throttle, I could hit 95 mph on the way home.  That was as fast as she would go.  I remember the first time I overcooked the brakes and couldn't stop while trying to make the turn onto my road from the highway.  What did I do?  Scrub off enough speed and turn anyway.  Scared me and the guy waiting to turn left pretty good, but figured out something other than steering straight into him and waiting for non-existent brakes.  Learned a lot about carrying speed in that pickup.  Probably had 60 hp.  The perfect learning tool.

It's funny looking over the 'age' fence and seeing the shit I used to do... just different cars. Eventually it will become illegal to work on your own car. As Carlin said: "Think of how stupid the average person is. Remember that half of them are worse!" I see shit boxes all the time and cringe as they pass me head on. Who knows what baler twine is holding the steering on?

• Like 2

I am hopefully away beyond what I got beyond what I got after I got my first driver's license!   Yet. I survived!  Get your ass in gear, but don't forget that that there's a whole other world of folk [ yes that's the corret spelling, not "folks"] that deserve to not only to share the road., but also, learn that their Mother lied to them !  You weren't the cutest baby in the world!  You didn't deserve to graduate at the head of your class in Kindergarten, Junior  High or Middle class schooi!  You didn't deserve a full scholarshp to the Baccuralate School. not to mention the Post Graduate or the Docturate level  And by the way, youre S**it DOES stink!.

I survived, but you don't have to earn my scars!

Now to teach the idiots on the bicycles that they are indeed governed by the Vehicle Code and really have to stop at "Stop" signs and not just charge full speed through the traffic signs  helmates down without looking for cross traffic!  A few traffic stops and demands for IDs and a day in court would be delightfut, at least for me!  You don't want to know how many idiots and their descendants I HAVE PRESERVED TO DATE!  Just because you have chosen to ride a bicycle, doesn't mean that you have hung up your brain [if you had one] and that the whole world has to compensate for your stupidity.

Just do what I do with cyclists that are asshats, blow by them as close as possible (they are usually half way in the lane of traffic and half in the bike lane any way) and they either just move over a bit, or nearly shit themselves and end up sitting on the sidewalk for a few minutes reflecting on their life.

• Like 3

Lol... you must have had to hammer down for a while to hit 100+.

-Robert

Actually, no. :D  See my autocross video?  That was at 98 degrees ambient, and 140 pavement temp roughly.  Ugly Betty moves out since she only weighs 2700 pounds and has an uncorked inline six now.  That factory stuff was EXTREMELY restrictive to the poor car.  It takes a bit longer to get to 125, but she'll do that too!

• Like 1