Who's sober?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The road back to your true self is well stocked with support for you to maintain your addiction. If you are traveling alone, it's easy to get last. I'd rather make the trip with someone who knows the way, because you never know what you'll get when you pull over for directions. A sponsor has the route on GPS. Just stay in the car and you'll get there.

• Like 1

If it was a pyramid scheme why is it free??  To say it doesn't work at all is completely overlooking that most that are there ( by their own free will) want you to get sober.

The problem lies in the fact 80-90% of those in AA/NA  groups in there are forced to be there as a part of a punishment,, so they really aren't there to better themselves at all.. But to dismiss AA/NA  as a scam is really a injustice to those that may find spiritual guidance as a way out of the bottomless pit they have found themselves in.

Myself i did not need a religious sect telling me i was a fuck up,, as i had many friends and close family telling me already so i didn't need the backing of others as i only had to look in my 4 kids eyes to really stay on course. ... but others may not have it that way.

I added NA as some of us aren't as lucky as you  in being only "recovering" alcoholics. :sleep:

I never said the program did not work, it does work.

Pyramid scheme was probably the wrong terminology, heirarchy is more apropos.

I just want to know why things work and am a lifelong study of the mechanics of the human psyche.

And I will keep my opinions and recognize that they are just that...my opinions...and I do not have to weigh them any more or less than others'...but that's just common sense right?

The thing about meetings which is funny/ annoying is the same trite cliches which get passed around as wisdom.

Pearls include "rocketed into the 4th dimension". This was actually uttered by Bill W., one of the founders of A.A., it was creative when he said it and not the 500th time I have heard someone rip it off.

"I have tools" [ to help me cope ]. This is never followed by a specific list of said tools...What tools? A phone number to call someone? A mitre saw? 

" I have a life beyond my wildest dreams". I am sure there are at least 100 different ways to say this.

I would think that removing alcohol/ drugs from the mix would inspire at least a modicum of creativity but I guess not.

I have a "conscious contact w/ god". Oh really? The almighty creator of a universe of unfathomable size and complexity cares about a minute speck of a carbon based lifeform on a backwater hellbound planet?

This last one somewhat offends me, as it screams of either a glaring lack of humility (which A.A.'s will tell you they have in spades) or just a confusion of the god which the A.A. group mind creates w/ the aforementioned creator/ principle of the universe.

i used to drink frikin hard, not really so much anymore. Had some scares, nothing really bad ever happened but i basically just grew out of it. I think if you have an obsessive personality its easier to get addicted to things, and therefore i'd think the best "cure" would be a healthy addiction (mountain biking, hiking, surfing, ratsun, extreame cuponing ect) to take up the time you would have previously spent using.

I know its not that simple but if i had free time to drink too many beers I wouldn't be against it, In the words of the greatest ghetto witness ever "aint nobody got time fo dat"

This fucker has wealthy family members. Yes it is a felony misdo, sho

Preemptive strike perhaps.

yes it is a felony misdo I think, this fucker has a wealthy family who will sue anyone though. This was the most fucked up threat I have ever received. Should I press charges?

Received a death threat from an old junkie friend last night. I hate this. What to do? I could have him arrested today, could be looking at a year in prison.

Call him up and say "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Seriously, I would take whatever course of action that would pour cold water on this thing.  If you have him arrested, he'll be back after you again in a year (?)  Restraining order?

Concealed carry permit?

• Like 1

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. What I think would be best is to at the very least, file a report and get it on record. Chances are, nothing will ever happen, but if it did one day get out of hand, it would probably be helpful to have some sort of history on it before hand. But, since his family is wealthy, those rules probably fly right out the window and won't matter.

• Like 2

I quit drinking when I held a 9" chef's knife to my GF's throat and said I was gonna make her and her daughter a news story. 

haven't had the inclination to smoke weed in years...

too afraid of trying to be Rob Ford and ending up like John Belushi to do coke...

that leaves trolling FB and Ratsun, and hooning.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. What I think would be best is to at the very least, file a report and get it on record. Chances are, nothing will ever happen, but if it did one day get out of hand, it would probably be helpful to have some sort of history on it before hand. But, since his family is wealthy, those rules probably fly right out the window and won't matter.

I think that is smart, nothing is more aggravating than a rich little punk sending you death threats. I want to send his death threat to his family and extort money outta them, good idea? Probably not. How can I safely nail this fucker?

I think that is smart, nothing is more aggravating than a rich little punk sending you death threats. I want to send his death threat to his family and extort money outta them, good idea? Probably not. How can I safely nail this fucker?

braid your beard into an ironic likeness of him, insult his fixy and then suggest that your knitted parking meter cozy art is better than his. 

HIPSTER!  

If you are truly afraid and intimidated calling OPD won't do much for you, maybe if you lived in Piedmont. Big 5 sells pretty cheap shotguns.

Fuck man, I just KNEW I was never going to be that way too. Now, here I am, don't know how to use even a fraction of the shit my phone does, I don't know what the hell kids are talking about and when I do figure it out, it pisses me off. Sooooooo, GET OFF MY LAWN! is all I have left to go through the full change I guess.

braid your beard into an ironic likeness of him, insult his fixy and then suggest that your knitted parking meter cozy art is better than his. 

HIPSTER!  

If you are truly afraid and intimidated calling OPD won't do much for you, maybe if you lived in Piedmont. Big 5 sells pretty cheap shotguns.

haha, your still on the hipster tip, you remind me of Lenny from of mice and men, however I do like your big five comment. The fucker lives in Berkeley, way different laws.

Speaking for myself, other than not getting so over the moon pissed off about stupid shit that I used to, there is not a ton of difference in the way I was 15 plus years ago. A lot more self aware probably, but the base of who I am was pretty solidly formed by then. As a matter of fact, I think the younger gen bothered me more when I was in my 20s than they do now.